MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTENTION: Linotype/Monotype Lead bulk purchase.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Certaindeaf. I know lead can be found locally and on ebay, heck I probably have more than I will use in the next 10+years. Part of the reason I want to get the type cabinets besides the lead is for the cabinets. Will be a great addition to my shop and I want to try to refinish the wood one that comes with it.
    For anyone else that may be interested, here is a google doc that you can add your name to with the quantity you might want. Please do not edit other member's information (not that i need to say that).
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thank you!

Brandon
    I put my name on that link but didn't see any way to save it so also on here.
    Tygar (Tom B) 1-200lbs lino/mono mixed. 2$ delivered.
    Thanks
    Tom

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Tom,

The .doc is saved on the cloud and saves as you enter the information. I got it, thank you!

Brandon

Boolit Buddy
    Tygar: where are you located in Va?

Banned
    Hi, I'm in Thornburg, 15mi so of Fredericksburg, 44 N. of Richmond

I thought the cobblestones over in those lands were made of lead. odd times indeed
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Bub
    If anyone else wants in on this, please let me know ASAP. I check on shipping tomorrow and the more people that sign up, the more likely this will happen.

Thanks!

Brandon

Boolit Mold
    I'm in for 50 pounds of lino/mono mixed, depending on time frame. I may be up for more spread out over a few months...

Boolit Bub
    KingAirNeal- I got you down for 50. Thank you!

I probably shouldn't but I have a fair amount of plain lead so eventually I'll need some lino or other alloy to harden it I signed up for 25 lbs. I'm in Southern Mich and have a trailer that could handle 1500 lbs. but having it here don't seem much advantage to having it in Ohio.

Boolit Man
    There is a big difference in linotype, monotype and foundry type. I have access to an Xray fluorescence scanner occasionally and the foundry type goes a lot farther than common linotype. Here is a note I shared with someone else:

"The foundry type I have listed has 13.65% tin or 955 grains per pound.
    To get to 3.41% Sn in a 100 pound batch(700,000grains) you would be looking for 23,870 grains of Sn.
    23,870 / 955 = 24.99lbs of type and 76.01pounds of lead.
    If you divide your 200 pounds of lead into 76.01 pound increments to make each 100lb batches of #2 type alloy you would have 2.63 batches worth of lead.
    2.63 x 24.99 pounds of type = 65.7pounds of type.
    If you paid $3lb for the foundry type and $37 shipping that would be $231(oops 234). Add in the value of the lead and using $1 per lb your total would be $331 for 263lbs of #2 or $1.26 per pound. That's a nice difference compared to Rotometals at $3.15 per lb. Naturally if you paid less than $1 per lb you're doing even better. btw, Rotometals pricing includes shipping on many orders over $99
    http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
    This is giving me a hankering to start a fire!"

Boolit Man
    25 lb should get you a 100lb batch of #2 type alloy

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info meesterpaul! I am sure many of us will find it very helpful.

Boolit Buddy

I,m in Cleveland Ohio For the right price maybe we can work something out on my end ????
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

I am just starting out, but I would take 25lbs or whatever fits in one of the flat rate boxes @ 2.00/lb

Quote Originally Posted by meeesterpaul View Post
    25 lb should get you a 100lb batch of #2 type alloy
    Thanks for the information, that would just about cover my current plain Pb supply of ingots. I am so starting to annoy my wife. Pails in the garage, ingots stacked on shelves, and she knows if I can find any wheel weights I'll set up a drop cloth in the living room and make little *plink* noises while we watch TV. Let's hear it for the spouses that put up with our lead acquiring selves.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 01-13-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by reddoggm View Post
    I,m in Cleveland Ohio For the right price maybe we can work something out on my end ????
    As soon as I hear from the seller and get a freight quote, i will get back to you. There are 2 cabinets that come with the lead that I want to keep, so it may not work out. I have another guy in Ohio interested if I don't buy it, but he doesn't know the cost yet. He may balk when he finds out. I'll keep you posted either way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by james nicholson View Post
    I am just starting out, but I would take 25lbs or whatever fits in one of the flat rate boxes @ 2.00/lb
    I got you on the list. Thank you!

Boolit Bub
    OK so the buyer got back to me and I got a freight quote. Pretty spendy. I made the seller an offer based on what freight costs me. As soon as I hear back, I will update everyone on the status of this deal. If he doesn't accept my offer I will refer it to one of the ohio residents who have expressed interest.

Thanks again everyone!

Brandon