RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm HP mold suggestion for a newbie

9mm HP mold suggestion for a newbie

Hi!

Just getting into casting and decided in addition to 12g, I want to cast some 9mm as well.

These will be used exclusively in a Glock

My Glocks seem to like 124g HPs the best, so i am looking for something close to that.

I know MP molds are top of the list, but I dont want to wait a year to start casting, so I am looking for something I can buy right now.

I was checking out NOE because they are local here in UT and they have a bunch in stock per their website.
    The one that caught my eye was the .358 135 GR FN/ 128g HP

Does anyone have any experience with this mold and a Glock?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations for a HP mold for a 9mm Glock?

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest that a HP is an advanced casting issue and you will just be making
    a lot more opportunity for problems.

Please start here for your easiest path.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-in-a-new-9mm

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Ok so I just read all 5 pages of that thread and its seems that most issues in 9mm involve bullet diameter compared to barrel diameter. Can you elaborate more on why an HP bullet will cause more problems compared to a flat or round nose?

Boolit Buddy
    I think MtGun44 was suggesting that maybe mastering the 9mm should be your first concern if you are just getting into this. The 9mm has been the subject of many a thread here. Getting quality HPs that would perform is adding a whole different level of complexity.
    No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Boolit Master
    It's also a bit harder (and slower) to cast with a hollow point mould rather than a regular design mould.

It might be a bit more difficult to get the basics down. For example most new casters have a problem learning cadence and mould temperature. If the HP pin isn't quite hot enough it is very easy to get boolits stuck on it and this slows down your casting cadence, which in turn makes the mould run cooler and increases the problem.

Many folks master casting in volume with a regular design mould long before learning to cast with a HP design.

Boolit Master

What Bullwolf said. It isn't the loading or shooting of the HP's - it's the casting process that's more difficult. I would heed MtGun's advice and learn to cast the standard boolits first, then move on to the HP's later on. They are more involved in casting. Also, there are numerous molds available immediately for solid 9mm boolits. Best of luck. Enjoy. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Ok sounds good. So I want to slug my barrel but cant find soft lead balls around .356 to .358. Will I have to find a md and cast myself?

Also should I only stick with TC molds? I would like to give NOE some business as they are local but he only has FN and RF

Boolit Grand Master

Strongly suggest that the TC is the shortest path to certain success. The RNs are frequently
    more problematic fitting throats and getting to chamber properly in various guns.

I'd buy a 2 cav Lee 356 120 TC mold and setup to lube it and size to .357 and just try it. Slugging
    is nice, but if you don't have the stuff to do it easily, just bypass the slugging and try .357 then

Do you have a micrometer? Caliper is not accurate enough to do this measurement properly.
    And yes - my point was that 9mms can be a PITA in general so adding the extra cost and
    slowness and difficulty of HPs brings nothing to the party except headaches in an already headachy
    process. Learn to walk before running.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Ok ill look for a TC but 120 is just too light for me. Any other heavier ones you would recommend?

I dont have a micrometer but I have access to borrow one, but ill start with .357 sizer die from lee and bypass the slugging.

Boolit Master

I agree with MtGun44 100% on his choice of mould! That is one of the most accurate 9mm boolets I've used AND it's it's an easy design to cast. My personal favorite load for it is the 356-120 TC CONVENTIONAL lube groove boolet cast of wheel weights and 2% added tin, sized to .356/.357 depending on the pistol, over 4.5 gr Unique in Winchester brass with the boolet seated to 1.050 OAL. This is a middle of the road load that has worked well in several 9mm pistols. ALL reloading precautions apply to the formentioned load!! You can substitute Bullseye, HP38/231,WSF and quite a few other powders WITH PROPER GRAIN ADJUSTMENT. The reason I use Unique is it's imposible to double charge a 9mm case with it, i use it in several other rounds, and I have a bunch of it.

One word of caution, Glock DOES NOT recomend lead boolets in their guns! If I were going to go that route I'd replace the factory barrell with one that has conventional rifleing!

Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy

My G17 Will eat any 9mm cast boolit i use. Have tryed the Lee 105 SWC, Lee 125 TL but cast to small and do not use. The one i use now is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...olid-6th-rerun

Ok I might have to give the 120 a whirl. I have shot commercial lead bullets out of my glocks without an issue. Probably at least 1000. I just have a sequence that has worked for me. 3 mags of lead followed by a mag of jacketed. There has never been any significant additional lead fouling that I have noticed. I know a guy who has put over 25k rounds of lead through his gen 1 glock and its still going strong with no issues. I think all that talk has come from people using inferior or poorly made lead boolits. Glock also says I cant shot reloads, but thats not stopping me

Not sure what part of utah you are in but if you're ever in the pleasant grove area you can swing by and I can give you some lee 9mm boolits to try out. I have 120-TC, 124 round nose tumble lube, 124 TC tumble lube, and 102 gr round nose all cast up and ready to go. Would even share my Workup load data if you like. I just finished putting it all in spreadsheet form on my iPad so I can easily email it to you if you like. All these bullets run fine in my wife's G26 but I do use a Lone Wolf barrel. Never bothered to run any through the stock barrel.

Hounddog

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtonory View Post
    My G17 Will eat any 9mm cast boolit i use. Have tryed the Lee 105 SWC, Lee 125 TL but cast to small and do not use. The one i use now is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...olid-6th-rerun
    That mold is the one I am hoping to eventually work up to. I haven't been able to find any current open group buys on it though. I emailed Mihec to see if there are any but haven't heard back. I would like to buy one soon this way I have a good year of casting under my belt by the time I get it

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Not sure what part of utah you are in but if you're ever in the pleasant grove area you can swing by and I can give you some lee 9mm boolits to try out. I have 120-TC, 124 round nose tumble lube, 124 TC tumble lube, and 102 gr round nose all cast up and ready to go. Would even share my Workup load data if you like. I just finished putting it all in spreadsheet form on my iPad so I can easily email it to you if you like. All these bullets run fine in my wife's G26 but I do use a Lone Wolf barrel. Never bothered to run any through the stock barrel.

Hounddog
    Im up in Sandy so not far at all. I will definitely take you up on that. It will be nice to try some before I get a mold. I really appreciate the offer and help.

Just send me a PM with your email address and we can hook up. You really can't go wrong with a NOE mold from Al. I've bought 4 from him and have picked them all up in person and he is an awesome guy to deal with. I love just shooting the bull with him and drooling over all his toys.

Boolit Buddy
    That is silly saying not to start with a HP mold. You gotta break it in anyway, start with the one you want and remelt what needs it. I started with a HP mold, it's not rocket surgery.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokesahoy View Post
    That is silly saying not to start with a HP mold. You gotta break it in anyway, start with the one you want and remelt what needs it. I started with a HP mold, it's not rocket surgery.
    I agree. It's the same as people saying not to start on a progressive. Everyone is different so while you didn't start w/ a hollow point mold it doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't. It takes very little time to figure it out.

Boolit Master
    I was checking out NOE because they are local here in UT and they have a bunch in stock per their website.
    The one that caught my eye was the .358 135 GR FN/ 128g HP
    I won't tell you whether or not to start with an HP mold–I will say that I own that mold and like it a lot. You can also cast FP bullets with it–it comes with extra solid point pins. The bullets shoot very well in my p226–I've only ever casted HPs with it. There is something to getting used to casting with a Lee mold or two, however. It's not rocket science, but it ain't mowin' the lawn either.

Boolit Man
    I've got the Mihec 9mm mold, it was my first mold from him. I e-mailed him, heard nothing for 2.5 months and then got a Paypal request for payment out of the blue from him, a week later I had the mold. He shows this mold on his web sight so he must make it frequently or stock it. His molds need to be pre-heated on a hot plate but HP fill out is a non issue. I had more problems with lube groove / base fill out until I started pressure casting. 50/50 WW / PB with about 1/2% tin works well and expands beautifully. I now have 4 of his molds and joined a GB for a 5th.

Some pix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mihec359-124_bullets2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	92676

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm_success.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	92677