RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ballistol.......

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

Ballistol.......

What is the best way to use Ballistol in cleaning Percussion handguns? "Areosol cans, Sprayer, how much, I even had someone say to mix 50 - 50 in water?????? I did get my pistols I was asking questions about. Dragon 3rd mod. and the Remington 1858 Army .44....Maybe with tax money, I can get the Walker. Thanks beng

Boolit Buddy
    I like to use it 50 / 50 with water put into a spray bottle. I coat everything and scrub with a nylon brush, wipe it down and then spray it again, let it soak and then wipe it down with a clean cotton rag. Also works well as a wet patch when shooting. I like using it and has worked well for me over the years, your mileage may very.

Boolit Master
    Dunno for sure, but I use mine straight out of the aerosol can.

Boolit Buddy
    I do the same thing Fred does. I have a Uberti Walker and a c&b Peacemaker in addition to a Peter Baire flinter that I made. I like the manual spray...and I have pre cut patches soaking in a short Mason jar in the 50/50 mix. You may also want to go to your local NAPA store. You can get a gallon of their water soluble cutting oil pretty cheap. The generic name for what we are doing is called "moose milk." A Google search will yield a gazillion recipes. Good luck and get the Walker!
    Domari Nolo

Perm-Banned
    their are many ways to use it and they are all right. here is mine. liquid ballistol in a large spray bottle with anti freeze, ammonia, dishsoap and some water. cleans black powder really good and protects the metal, it gets the metal squeeky clean. use light oil afterwards. keep your gun clean, it wil last and last.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Mr. 1942, which anti-freeze and what does it do to BP fouling? Gracias

Perm-Banned
    anti freeze has all the properties to protect the bore beside clean it. the mixture i have cleans very well. i cant say specificly what antifreeze does but ive been useing it for years after some one told me to try it. keeps your cars cooling system from rusting out and does the same for a gun. i bought a 2 to 3 gallon type in a yellow plastic jug several years ago and still have most of it in my gun shop. i bought the top of the line one at the auto store as i figured it would have the best rust prevention properties.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It's really, really hard to beat plain old water, followed up by Ballistol or Ed's Red when you are done cleaning. Lots cheaper, too.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I don't see how anyone can get a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and water. Mine seperates out at about 10% or less (oil layer on top if more than a 1:10 mix). You guys that can get a 50/50 mix must have an opaque spray bottle to not see the two layers of oil and milky water. Adding dish soap doesn't seem to matter on the solubility of the oil but makes it a better cleaner.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It's really, really hard to beat plain old water, followed up by Ballistol or Ed's Red when you are done cleaning. Lots cheaper, too.
    Exactly! Btw, 1 part Ballistol + 1part rubbing alcohol (~70% or ~90%) + 6 parts H20 makes a great patch lube for cold weather. 1 : 6 (no alcohol) is great when the temps. are above freezing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    +1 Plain old hot water is hard to beat. Eds red does a great job of displacing the water. I flush the barrel with hot running water. Remove the nipples soak the nipples and cylinder. Clean everything with patches and a GI tooth brush renice with hot tap water dry and oil with eds red done. Takes about 10 minutes.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on the Ed's Red. Mix 1 fluid oz. of Dawn dishwashing detergent to 8 ozs. of Ed's Red and a pint of distilled water. Shake up to form an emulsion. Great for corrosive primers, Pyrodex or blackpowder.