MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percussion caps #10 and #11

Boolit Bub

Percussion caps #10 and #11

Where I live, the shortage of center fire ammo is beginning to ease up.
    but for us black powder shooters, caps are in short supply. All my local
    stores have nothing and prospects for future stock ain't looking good .
    I'm running low where do I turn. My revolvers use #10 and #11 CCI or Remington.
    I was ready to refit all with Ampco nipples to accept one size, but don't want spend
    $30 per to convert when neither size caps are available.
    My go back further in time and get flint ignition...........
    Last edited by Atlast357; 08-25-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I bought a Tap-O-Cap to make my own caps. The concept is good - you punch the caps out of empty beer cans and use those little rolled red toy caps for ignition. The problem I had, and apparently many others are having, is that those little red toy caps aren't as strong as they used to be, and they don't consistently set off the powder. But check it out (if you haven't already)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/842...sion-cap-maker

Boolit Master

I seem to have no problem finding them around here...

I bought 1000 CCI #10 magnums recently, just in time for my older T/C to bite the dust.

Funny how all the newer inlines use a MUCH more expensive ignition system!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance
    Older tc bit the dust????? What happened.

Boolit Master

System 1...

I had the stock split, and the action has set back nearly 1/8"

The bolt won't lock back, and of course, NO accuracy, and not the safest situation.

I've been in contact with T/C for two weeks now, and I still have no return label.

They told me when I first called, that it was obsolete, and if it wasn't deemed abuse they would just send me a new muzzy.

So far it seems like I just get the stroke job song and dance.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I have well over 2k of no 11 caps and the only gun I use them in is my .32 Crockett. Everything else I shoot is a rock lock. I would buy a couple hundred every time I would find them I would buy a couple hundred, plus last year I bought a thousand while at Grafs. I will wait until Walmart puts them on clearance come Jan. I will continue to collect them when I find them. I do have other cap guns but never shoot them.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I just got some from sportsmans warehouse, best bet is just to order some from somewhere, even if out of stock at the moment. It seems caps go out of stock now and again, but the wait for resupply is usually pretty short. they have gone in and out of stock at many places now a few times that ive seen lately. its nowhere near like .22 ammo. chances are if you order now, youll prob have em in abt a month

Boolit Master

Grafs has them in all different brands I was there last Friday and saw them. I would just order a couple of thousand and store them in an old GI ammo can. They won't go bad, the price won't get any cheaper, and you know you are going to use them.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Bub
    I never thought I would have problems getting caps but.... usual places out of stock. I found a LGS that had # 11 CCI and bought 500. Most of my revolvers use #10 but I guess I can bend the 11s out of round.
    I have no idea why they are hard to get locally but can be ordered online, just have to pay the $27 hazmat fee.

Boolit Buddy

I can't find them around Denver ... with muzzleloading season rapidly approaching and I find I'm now down to just a few left. Poor planning on my part. Anyone read the NRA article about the overall ammo shortage and possible cause? Abnormal buying, and not only by speculators ... also caused by panic buying, according to the author.

Boolit Bub
    I don't remember where I read it but.. with manufactures cranking out as fast as they can for cartridges bp stuff is on the back burner.
    Sounds like a reason but really I may just be spreading another rumor.

Boolit Master
    try here http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html , I just got powder from him he lists #11 and #10

I have bought powder a couple times from him he is always good to work with.

Boolit Master

I know I can make my own BP from easily obtained components. However Percussion caps are a different story. This is why I have opted for a Flintlock action rifle. No matter what idiotic measures O'Bammer comes up with I will still be able to shoot. Not so fast but with accuracy. Remember a one eyed man is King in a country of blind people.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Gkainz, try Ace Hardware in Loveland, they have 1000's in CCI#11 Magnums

Boolit Man

Atlast357, I hope your shortage has eased up. None of the LGS around here carry 10 or 11 percussion caps, or stock the black. I can travel 100 miles North or South and get it, but at what it cost me round trip, time and gas, I can order both online in quantity and it's cheaper for me that way.

Boolit Bub
    Found them locally at Gander Mt but $7.99 a 100 is a bit steep....

Boolit Master

Same here for me at Cabela's! 8 cents for a cap???? Too much!

Boolit Master
    i was at an auction few weeks ago. picked up 5000 caps. 10-11 and Remington 12's for $35 the whole lot. some are Remington some cci, rws. some are even in cva tins.. but for the price I will shoot them.

I have been looking for one of the forester tools for years. I think those caps would work fine on my underhammers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimwill48 View Post
    Found them locally at Gander Mt but $7.99 a 100 is a bit steep....
    That's the price at our Gander Mt. as well, but their prices are obcenely high on most things.