WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handles for every mold? and Mold storage?

I have handles for all the molds and store them on a shelf.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I have more mold handles than any sensible person should have, dunno why other than over the years they just seem to show up.

As to the storage question, this is my method.

Rust Free Mold Storage on the cheap

Rick
    My post #65 on Rick's thread (link above) is how I store my Iron and brass molds...sadly that particular container is no longer available from Lock N Lock.
    I store my Lee and RD molds in the original Lee packaging.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Did you look for the "SnapWare" brand? Plus I'm sure there are others that make them, shouldn't matter a lick the brand name as long as they are air/water tight.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

With a variety of different brands of molds, I try to have at least two handles of each type, like big and small Lyman, RCBS, etc. That way I can have any two molds casting at once for production.
    Chuck

I have a few MTM AC30 Ammo Storage Cans. While there is a certain manly-man charm to the 7.62mm and 50 cal metal ammo cans, they are heavy. Add enough molds, and it gets worse. The MTM AC30 has enough room for twenty or so single and dual cavity molds. Not that it has anything to do with choosing the smaller size, BUT an AC30 with one layer of molds is light enough to lift out of a shelf with one hand. I just cover the bottom with VCI paper (off of ebuy) and there has been no issue with rust, even after some high humidity.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...mo-storage.php

Except for molds with handles that are difficult to remove (like Modern-Bond) I unship the handles so everything that can't be allowed to get rusty (like a mold!) is in a sealed case with VCI paper.

Last edited by ohland; 12-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    I wish! I probably have 5 more molds than handles, so I'm close.

Banned

Whenever I order from Midway and need to add a few extra dollars to avoid the small order charge, or qualify for a discount code, I order another set of Lee six cavity handles. It's just one of my quirks.

Boolit Master
    Handles for every mold. Pisses me off to change handles when i am ready to cast.
    As for storage, i spray w/ wd-40 and set on a shelf above baseboard heater. When i use them i spray w/ non chlorinated brake kleen and when dry i spray again w/ starting fluid. Ready to cast.

Boolit Master

I like my molds in their mold boxes with a label as to what mold it is, what it drops at weight and size wise. It also would be nice to list the top punch that is needed for that particular mold, but I don't do that. I store my molds on the top shelf in my safe that has a golden rod for humidity control. I only have a few mold handles and prefer to put them on as needed. I do like to wrap each mold with VCI paper but I don't have it on all as of yet.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Bub
    No molds just yet but I'll most likely go the lazy man route and get handles for every mold as I get new molds.

Boolit Master
    I have handles for most of my small collection. I need another RCBS handle set, but they are expensive. I wonder if lee 6 banger handles could be adapted. I had a 50cal ammo can, but now use a 40mm can, as it is long enough for my NOE and MP molds with the handles attached. I use a desiccant tin as well. I need to get some of the paper to keep the molds from rubbing/resting on each other.

Moderator Emeritus

Blessed to live where my moulds would rust if I left them outside under a sprinkler. Inside even in an unheated shop they are fine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze