MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cost of doing business or just a rip-off

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMMD View Post
    The normal fee for an FFL transfer is $50.00 to $100.00. Is what it is.
    2AMMD
    Maybe where you live it is, but here it's still $20.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waltham41 View Post
    I charge $20 to do a transfer, and an additional $5 for every extra weapon going on the 4473. Will take transfers from individuals. I got tired of the expensive transfers and that is part of the reason why I got my own license.

I naturally prefer that someone buy a gun from me instead of just using me to bring one in from the outside, but I do not bring it up, its the customers choice as to where they spend their money and I am happy to at least make a quick $20 bucks. One unexpected transfer and lunch or supper is paid for
    The FFL that I deal with handles his business just like you. That helps me out and before I buy a out of state gun, I give him first chance to find the same item for me.

Am I missing something? Is anything up for swapping & sellin in this thread?

Banned

"Am I missing something?"

I missed it, you didn't. So no, you did more than just read the post which is what I did. Only took 83 posts to get there. Probably an "Our Town" topic.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMMD View Post
    The normal fee for an FFL transfer is $50.00 to $100.00. Is what it is.
    2AMMD
    I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I am out of line I apologize.
    When a state makes laws banning private transfer, some FFL holders believe they now own the gold mine. Instead, they own a hole in the ground that will soon be valueless.
    Other FFL holders treat you like a friend and set their fee at what they perceive to be their cost and do the transfer as a favor in hopes you will shop in their place rather than the "Big Box" with the big fees.

Boolit Grand Master

Rip off. Mine charges $15. I have paid $25 but I won't pay any higher. Really, to fill out a sheet and call it in?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    A whole lot of misinformation on this thread. I suggest the whiners get their own FFL and then they can transfer to themselves for free!
    Too true, I believe the ATF fee is from 30 to 200 dollars, depending on the 1 of 8 available FFL licenses. Renewed every 3 years.
    You'll need a small business license for your local area. I'd suggest a LLC to prevent your house/personal assets becoming a liability.

I would highly recommend that if you are in a position to apply and do the paperwork to get one! You can make a bit o' side income if you're good with paperwork.

Plus you can help out other gun enthusiasts in your area with something that takes a lot of time away from those gun shops that are too busy with customers to handle.

It's a win-win.

Here's some Q&A about how to get a FFL from a website devoted to the facts.
    http://www.ffl123.com/ffl-license-fr...ions-ffl-faqs/
    Last edited by andremajic; 11-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    As long as there has not been a recent change at UPS, the only thing that has to go express is handguns. Rifles can be shipped by regular shipping. I ran into UPS depots that tried to make me use 2nd day on a rifle and I left and came back with a print out of their policies and that took care of that.
    Then I am corrected. I ship FedEx and my recollection is that they do require 2 day Express which cost about $35. My "knowledge about UPS is second hand and I've never shipped a rifle. I should check out UPS and see if I can do better.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Rip off. Mine charges $15. I have paid $25 but I won't pay any higher. Really, to fill out a sheet and call it in?
    This topic rubs me in more than one way!

If you think $25.00 is a rip off and think filling out a "sheet" is all that is done. You are very misinformed in the operations of the FFL business.

I'm required by law to sell you a trigger lock at an additional expense.
    As required via state law sales tax.
    Since the transfer of a firearm has a paper trail to the moon and back of which an FFL has to keep
    That list is also inspected by the ATFe more of my time that is not funded.
    The license fee itself.
    Local zoning laws
    Register as a business or DBA
    Phone
    business cards
    internet fees
    insurance
    "Spending an hour on the phone to a guy who never gives you his name so he can pick your brain". Best of all in 30 years of operations, I've only sold like 6 reloading manuals. Yea most of the time I give a pamphlet manual out.

In other words the FFL is required to preform all kinds of unfunded mandate's. Those fees have to end up someplace.

The days of the continual freebies to customers have come to an end.
    The constant outcry for donations to support every association from gun to the feel good clubs.
    Raffle tickets OMG don't even get me started on raffle tickets.
    Most of which do not support the FFL.

As the example I made earlier with the Browning. He could have purchased a clays model from me, free of defects. But he choose to make the purchase from Gander Mtn.
    OR have a guy show up at your door with a wholesale catalogue and ask if you can get a rifle for the price listed? Yes their are people that bold. Like the manager at work who had me purchase 2 22's for him and he didn't even consider I was going to mark them up. He was so bold he held his had out for the .25c change he was due. Then he wanted a few boxes of 22 cartridges. That didn't happen...nor did I order any more firearms for him.

I spend 4 decades doing freebies for a variety of sporting associations in NY and other states. Taking days away from hunting,fishing,trapping,family. Burning vacation days while others in the association were out doing what they pleased only to show up at a meeting or banquet and tell you, you never do anything! All because they had to come early to set up tables and chairs.

It's time for some people to cough up what is long over due.

My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates.

If sportsmen want handouts, I hear the government gives to those based on need. You just have to be willing give something up in return.

Quote Originally Posted by meshugunner View Post
    That's right, an individual can ship to an FFL anywhere in the US. I've bought and sold a number of guns that way. However a non FFL is not allowed to use USPS, only an FFL. Fedex and UPS will ship but they require 2nd day for firearms which is not cheap about $35 in my experience. I have found it is actually cheaper to have my FFL ship it, with his fee and USPS postage, I save some money.
    Non FFL holders [CAN] ship long guns in the USPS but they can not ship hand guns by USPS.

Boolit Master
    $15 is what I pay a local pawnshop for transfers. Not the best part of town, but really really nice guy. Never leave with just the transfered gun either. Good thing about a pawnshop is they have EVERYTHING. Last time I went to pick up 2 revolvers ended up spending more than the 30$ transfer fees on other tools, targets, some scrap silver, and a weird looking screwdriver. Also always check for guns with him before buying at another pawnshop. GOOD GUY.

As long as he is in business, I will use him only for transfers. IF you charge more than 15$ thats your right as a business owner, however its also my right to find the best shop to fit my needs. To each there own. Some are happy to spend more for something they feel is "better" however, I work hard for the little bit of spending cash I do have, and want to make it go as far as possible.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    This topic rubs me in more than one way!

If you think $25.00 is a rip off and think filling out a "sheet" is all that is done. You are very misinformed in the operations of the FFL business.

I'm required by law to sell you a trigger lock at an additional expense.
    As required via state law sales tax.
    Since the transfer of a firearm has a paper trail to the moon and back of which an FFL has to keep
    That list is also inspected by the ATFe more of my time that is not funded.
    The license fee itself.
    Local zoning laws
    Register as a business or DBA
    Phone
    business cards
    internet fees
    insurance
    "Spending an hour on the phone to a guy who never gives you his name so he can pick your brain". Best of all in 30 years of operations, I've only sold like 6 reloading manuals. Yea most of the time I give a pamphlet manual out.

In other words the FFL is required to preform all kinds of unfunded mandate's. Those fees have to end up someplace.

The days of the continual freebies to customers have come to an end.
    The constant outcry for donations to support every association from gun to the feel good clubs.
    Raffle tickets OMG don't even get me started on raffle tickets.
    Most of which do not support the FFL.

As the example I made earlier with the Browning. He could have purchased a clays model from me, free of defects. But he choose to make the purchase from Gander Mtn.
    OR have a guy show up at your door with a wholesale catalogue and ask if you can get a rifle for the price listed? Yes their are people that bold. Like the manager at work who had me purchase 2 22's for him and he didn't even consider I was going to mark them up. He was so bold he held his had out for the .25c change he was due. Then he wanted a few boxes of 22 cartridges. That didn't happen...nor did I order any more firearms for him.

I spend 4 decades doing freebies for a variety of sporting associations in NY and other states. Taking days away from hunting,fishing,trapping,family. Burning vacation days while others in the association were out doing what they pleased only to show up at a meeting or banquet and tell you, you never do anything! All because they had to come early to set up tables and chairs.

It's time for some people to cough up what is long over due.

My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates.

If sportsmen want handouts, I hear the government gives to those based on need. You just have to be willing give something up in return.
    I was speaking of my state not NY. Things are insane up there and if that is where you chose to do business and comply with all of the dictates then that is ok by me. That's your choice.
    No state sales tax, no zoning laws that cost extra, everyone has internet and a phone by now I hope, business cards don't cost a great deal. So what we are talking about is insurance and keeping the paperwork for an inspection.

"My FFL has a fee, my business has an expense that is passed on to the customer. That is how a business operates. "
    If my FFL, who works out of his house, picks up all of the business that other guys are ripping off people to the tune of $50 or more than it pays for itself many times over. That indeed is how business operates. Check Walmart on this.

Don't get angry with me because NY is a gun control hellhole of the States own making.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I haven't read every post in this thread, so if I am out of line I apologize.
    When a state makes laws banning private transfer, some FFL holders believe they now own the gold mine. Instead, they own a hole in the ground that will soon be valueless.
    Other FFL holders treat you like a friend and set their fee at what they perceive to be their cost and do the transfer as a favor in hopes you will shop in their place rather than the "Big Box" with the big fees.
    I don't know about other states that require FFLs for instate sales, just about California. If the sale is between two CA residents that show up together, it's limited to $35 total which is $25 for the state fee, and $10 "profit" for the dealer. If it's a transfer that is shipped to the dealer, then they can charge whatever they like.

Out where I now live, $20-30 seems average. My favored store charges $20 for unlimited guns. So far I've bought more from their stock than I've transferred.

About two years or so ago, I had an individual send me a gun to be transferred. The only problem was, it was the wrong gun. Of course the simpleton said for me to "just send it back"...not really an option. It got to be a big convoluted mess. Subsequently, I only accept from individuals if the firearm is being transferred to one of my regular customers. I will not get into fees, etc., because that is largely regional. I will say, however, that doing a transfer does not end with the NICS approval. I have had to respond to numerous ATF trace requests over the years on transferred firearms. I charge what I think I need to do the job, and the customer is free to accept or reject, no hard feelings either way.

Boolit Master

I agree with eljefe on the take it or leave it approach. I have noticed one thing, at least in my area, that those who charge over $25 for a firearm transfer, aren't nearly as busy now as they were before they raised their fees. One in particular that went from $20 to $50 per transfer has lost considerable business. He now works part time for USPS, I think. He changed his fee per transfer last Sept. and I found another FFL holder that has transfered/sold 11 firearms for me since then. So, anybody can set there rates at any price they want, as with my previous dealer, he might as well of charged $500 per transfer, he lost my business forever.
    That's my definition of " cost of doing business".

Boolit Buddy
    Another resource to find an inexpensive FFL to transfer stuff to is to look at the big mail order C&R dealers like Aim Surplus. That is how I found the gunsmith I used and referred many others to.

I have yet to see a dealer rely solely on transfers as a source of revenue. Maybe kitchen table dealers...there aren't too many of them in my area. If a dealer has to go out of business due to a lack of transfers, he probably should not have been in business in the first place.

As I posted previously, transfer fees are largely regional. What seems outrageous to some is cheap to others.

Most are $25 and up. It takes time to process and store the forms. Receive, catalogue, and store the item. And it takes time to interface with the customer (couple phone calls plus time to deliver item). $25 seems fair.

My guy charges $10.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Bub
    My first FFL transfer cost this much. It was pretty much the LGS telling me to go away.

Moderator Emeritus

Every FFL around here charges 50 per transfer. A few years ago I bought 5 pistols, it would have cost me 250 to transfer them, a friend of mine found a FFL that charges 25 per form 4473. You can transfer 5 on a single form, it cost me 25 bucks instead of 250. That FFL is my go to guy now.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD