Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cost of doing business or just a rip-off

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    First off, it's called "free enterprise". Nobody likes to pay one way or the other . . that's human nature. Is $10, $25, $50 too much? That is "in the eye of the beholder". However, a business is in business to make money . . . not break even. Where I live (MI) and I purchase a firearm in a store, it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes to get it done. It's my understanding that if a FFL does your transfer and there is a problem, it's their butt on the line. I have a friend who owns a large gun shop and every year the BATF are camped out in his basement going over his records to see that every T is crossed and every I is dotted.

Put yourself in the shoes of the gun shop owner. If they will do FFL transfers . . . (and more power to them if they do) . . . you are buying a weapon from some one else but asking them to do the paperwork . . . when they very likely could have sold you the same gun (in most cases). That's like buying your tires from the Sears Roebuck catalog, putting them on your car and then going to the local tire store to ask for air to fill them up.

There are two sides to every issue. In the end, if you feel that a $50 transfer fee by an FFL is too much . . . you have the option of going elsewhere and finding someone who will do it cheaper. Non of us like paying higher prices for things . . . even the guy who owns the gun store . . . but that's a fact of life. I am no martyr . . . but there are times that I will buy things locally that may cost a little more, but I know that the local store needs a community's support. If not, it's not going to be there the next time I need something. It's kind of like people who will waste $5.00 in gas to drive 20 miles to save a dollar on something.

If an FFL charges $50 for a transfer .. . then they probably have a good reason. . . especially if it's a smaller LGS. They don't have the buying power that a large chain store does. They don't get 90 or 120 day billing like chain stores do. Chances are, many items, primers, powder, whatever . . cost them more than someone like a large chain store and they have to take a lower profit margin on it in order to compete with the chain stores. As a result, they have to make up for that loss somewhere and such things as transfer fees help do that. Everyone who is not self-employe and who works for someone else expects their pay check at the end of the week. The guy who owns the LGS has to pay his overhead, pay his bills, pay his help, pay his withholding, pay his insurances, etc. . . at the end of it all . . . there's no guarantee that HE is going to have enough left over to pay himself so he can pay his own personal bills.

Those are the things you have to consider . . . it's not about "a dollar in is a dollar profit". . . . or they are "ripping you off". You still have the option of turning around and leaving if you don't want to pay their price . . . the same option you have when you pull in to a gas station, a hardware store or a grocery store. If they are good enough to do a transfer and assume liability, they are providing a service the same as anybody else. If you think that service is too high . . . wait until the next time you need a plumber or a furnace man who will have a minimum fee just to show up. In the end . . . people who work, don't and shouldn't do it for nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    That's right, an individual can ship to an FFL anywhere in the US. I've bought and sold a number of guns that way. However a non FFL is not allowed to use USPS, only an FFL. Fedex and UPS will ship but they require 2nd day for firearms which is not cheap about $35 in my experience. I have found it is actually cheaper to have my FFL ship it, with his fee and USPS postage, I save some money.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Boolit Mold
    Where I'm at $25 is dirt cheap, some shops with a lot of inventory charge $100 - not that they do many transfers, but they want people to buy what's in inventory. I've never heard of any dealers doing transfers for free and why any shop would do transfers for free I don't understand unless it's for regular customers that spend lots of money in the shop already. It takes time and there is liability involved with doing transfers, a shop should be getting paid for the service.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by meshugunner View Post
    That's right, an individual can ship to an FFL anywhere in the US. I've bought and sold a number of guns that way. However a non FFL is not allowed to use USPS, only an FFL. Fedex and UPS will ship but they require 2nd day for firearms which is not cheap about $35 in my experience. I have found it is actually cheaper to have my FFL ship it, with his fee and USPS postage, I save some money.
    As long as there has not been a recent change at UPS, the only thing that has to go express is handguns. Rifles can be shipped by regular shipping. I ran into UPS depots that tried to make me use 2nd day on a rifle and I left and came back with a print out of their policies and that took care of that.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    In Maryland, dealers typically charge $75 for transfers. Here in AZ, $25 seems to be the general going rate.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

In NY it's usually $25-150 for a transfer

Boolit Master
    $37.00 is the cheapest I've found here in the Peoples Republik of New Jersey, this includes a charge of $22.00 which the State collects from the FFL for the "free" NICS call. Most charge $50.00 .
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Banned

In Cumberland MD I can get a transfer for 25, once I head to PA it costs 35, so unless I am buying a handgun I go to MD to transfer my firearms.

Boolit Master
    Last transfer here in Nashville, TN was $20.
    $10 for the background chk and $10 fer the paperwork.
    One FFL here told me a transfer almost cost him his business because of a bad gun shipped from individual to him. ATF had him under a microscope for over a month. He will not do xfers any more because of the one bad deal.

Mike

Really depends where you are at more than anything. In my home state of Kentucky most dealers were around $10-20. I'm living in MoCo Md now and most places here charge $50-75 depending on what it is. Not a lot of choice about it, you either pony up and pay or do without.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Bub
    There's a pawn shop near me that does $20 transfers. It's kind of a hassle to get there b/c of traffic/location, but it's the cheapest around. I used to use a guy that was about 30 min away because he'd give me a flat fee of $25 no matter how many guns, but then I slowed down on the purchases, so it wasn't worth driving his way (and he had **** hours).

Currently I'm about to apply for my 07/02, and my location is smack dab in the middle of my city (I found a zoning loophole) so I'm planning on doing $20 transfers and $50 NFA transfers. I'm starting with a small safe, but the way I see it is that it'll cover the costs for me to get a big safe, which I wouldn't mind having. I've heard lots of places don't like doing transfers (other than the reasons mentioned in other posts in this thread) because it's a hassle. You have to receive, unpack, log, pack back up, etc. I don't really mind because starting out I need all the extra money I can get to cover rent and all that other stuff.

That being said, there's also the liability issue that a lot of places don't want to deal with. If your gun is damaged/stolen/etc. they're on the hook for it, because they cared for it until the transfer takes place. It also takes up space in the safe. Think about NFA transfers in particular... you'll likely be holding on to their toy for close to a year. That really adds up in safe space. I'm a small mfg setup, but I know I sure wouldn't want to leave a customer's gun in the back room and risk having it stolen if someone breaks in. Another new headache to deal with, but that's life.

Sorry for being long winded, I had a heck of a day.

Joel

Boolit Master

My guy charges $20.00. I guess its how a person views it. They have to fill out the paperwork, do the background, if necessary, and then retain the records. Liability? A person fills out the form, background is done, everything appears correct, what liability? Some around here charge higher fees, seems like they are discouraging people from dealing with them. I've bought and sold guns interstate, and never had an issue. Again, its their business, how much they want to charge, and its your business, if you want to pay their fee. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As a few others have said, "Vote with your wallet."
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Graffs, who looks to be a sponsor here, and hands down the best LGS around me, charges $40. I've just seen the sign in store, my guy is $20 and has earned every dollar and then some on at least one occasion when things don't go perfectly.

Boolit Master
    My guy charges $20, Thats fair enough. Usually I bring some thing with me.
    Pick up my gun and have him turn a part on his lath.
    Pick up a gun and have him drill and tap a scope mount on a Marlin.
    I have two coming in next week and will be taking a Mauser for him to pull the barrel off of.
    I have never left with just paying him $20.
    Its a win win.

My "Mom & Pop" FFL only charges me $5....That is why I keep coming back and ALWAYS recommend them to everyone for all there sporting needs. I did use a local FFL for awhile that charged $35....not any more. Not only did they loose out on $35 but have not been back in there store since!!
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Moderator Emeritus

My local Ma and Pa LGS use to charge $25 to transfer,
    He recently bumped his fee up to $35 which I found out on the last gun I bought off Gunbroker. I was a little upset at first, but then realized there isn't many small LGS's around here, and if he thinks another $10 is necessary to stay afloat, so be it. I hope he is smart enough to stay in business. I guess he was hit hard this last year, due to the lack of receiving fresh inventory, which meant nothing much to sell...anyway, that extra $10 out of my pocket is really no big deal.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My local store charges $75. It is actually a fair amount of work on their part to receive the gun, put it in their books, and then do the transfer back out. Also from their point of view it is one less gun that they could have sold. A guy in my gun club has an FFL from his house and charges $40. While I dont like paying this prices, I do consider them fair and part of the cost of doing business.

Boolit Buddy
    what is it to you what his dealer is charging him? I sell guns online and state that if your dealer requires it be sent from an ffl instead of me it is another $30 that goes to my dealer plus the shipping. don't like it? don't buy it.

Boolit Mold
    My usual shop charges $25 ($10 background check included) unless it is on a gun he stocks. If he stocks it he charges $50. At first I thought that expensive, but when I though about him tying his money up to try to make a sale, it made sense. He also sells his guns at resonable prices. Often ad cheap as you see adverised in popular magazines. So even I'd he didnt charge more, the price would be about the same unless it was pretty expensive then sales tax would get you.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    My guy charges $20.00. I guess its how a person views it. They have to fill out the paperwork, do the background, if necessary, and then retain the records. Liability? A person fills out the form, background is done, everything appears correct, what liability? Some around here charge higher fees, seems like they are discouraging people from dealing with them. I've bought and sold guns interstate, and never had an issue. Again, its their business, how much they want to charge, and its your business, if you want to pay their fee. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. As a few others have said, "Vote with your wallet."
    We live in a very litigious society. Even if I follow the letter of the law I am still liable. I have seen it happen. A guy buys a gun, passes the check with flying colors and then does something stupid. They say I should have known he was a drunk...drug head...had mental issues or whatever. Not to mention you have a large section of the country that thinks you can get on the computer and buy a gun and have it shipped to your house. All they hear is, he bought it online. I don't have the time or money to defend myself from the trial lawyers. Most of the money I make is not from guns as I am a pawn shop. I deal in more gold and tools than guns and I don't stock new guns. If somebody wants to do a transfer I tell them my price, if they don't like it I refer them one of the other shops in town and am happy to do it. No harm no foul. They also send me business so it works out.