WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what's with those big hats?

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Those sombreros can be used as fans to cool off after a big meal con chilies !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    A real hat has character! A few holes, moth or bullet, some sweat stains, a couple of creases with stories of how they got there, and some mementos tucked in the hat band.

You big hats, do you use stampede strings?
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    I think umbrellas are obsolete now!

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem is that you guys focus on the hats.

We know that what matters is what lies under the hat.

Perma-Banned

old cowboy saying "all hat, no horse"

I been tryin' to git me one, so's I can join the club!

Let us not forget the ladies.
    They need protection from the elements too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCAZRWGE5.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	88589

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    A real hat has character! A few holes, moth or bullet, some sweat stains, a couple of creases with stories of how they got there, and some mementos tucked in the hat band.

You big hats, do you use stampede strings?
    I went with a friend to Sweetwater Texas a few years ago. His uncle passed away and he wanted to get a few things from the old farm, he asked if I wanted any of the old Stetsons in the closet.(There were 5-6 old beat up sweat-stained Stetsons.)I told him no, I wouldn't have any use for them.
    Found out later these things can bring big bucks!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    It's not the hats fellas, it those guys that wear them!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    Those sombreros can be used as fans to cool off after a big meal con chilies !
    Those big hats can be used as wading pools for little kids.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

All I know is the guys with big hats have been very helpful. I'll stick with my sraw farmers hat, but I will listen to the "sombreroed" ones advice.

Thanks guys.

Banned

Don't call him a cowboy, 'till you seen him ride...

Real cowboys around here drive F-350 Diesel duallies and wear ball caps. The smart ones also wear sunscreen. Felt hats are hot, heavy, don't fare well in the dust, and wilt into shapeless when they get wet. If you're familiar with Texas weather you can see what a joke they really are. They're also quite expensive when they blow off and get trampled, but look stupid with stampede strings so they're really only worn for show or dress. Straw hats are ok, keep the sun off, but most end up like a Toby Keith taco roll and have to be tied on.

If you ever see a Stetson around here that looks like George Strait's it's either being worn by him, a Yankee, or someone trying to sell you something.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    All I know is the guys with big hats have been very helpful. I'll stick with my sraw farmers hat, but I will listen to the "sombreroed" ones advice.

Thanks guys.
    Agree big time with that one

+1

cheers to the big hatted ones
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think stampede straps got a bad rap, from B westerns. Everyone had them cinched under the chin. They should be worn around the back of the head. Definitely a plus in windy country.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Real cowboys around here drive F-350 Diesel duallies and wear ball caps. The smart ones also wear sunscreen. Felt hats are hot, heavy, don't fare well in the dust, and wilt into shapeless when they get wet. If you're familiar with Texas weather you can see what a joke they really are. They're also quite expensive when they blow off and get trampled, but look stupid with stampede strings so they're really only worn for show or dress. Straw hats are ok, keep the sun off, but most end up like a Toby Keith taco roll and have to be tied on.

If you ever see a Stetson around here that looks like George Strait's it's either being worn by him, a Yankee, or someone trying to sell you something.

Gear
    This is the truth around here!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Gear
    That reminds me.
    I have this really nice military rifle here with you're name on it! Hardly any rust, only been dropped once, vintage "sporter" and I treated it with my state of the art, trickum slickum greased lightning bolt lube (only $29.99 extra for one week only!)
    hurry hurry and don't let this one get away!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    worn one way they are a disguise worn the other a souvenir.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I think stampede straps got a bad rap, from B westerns. Everyone had them cinched under the chin. They should be worn around the back of the head. Definitely a plus in windy country.
    Never heard the stampede strap term ,I always heard them called wind strings.

I have a late '50's GI DI's campaign hat that has the strap that is worn on the back of the head, and I can't imagine how that would hold a hat on your head during the wild horse backing (not bucking) that would take place during a stampede.

The hat would be blown off your head and gone in the first three jumps a cow pony would make when spurred into a breaking run !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    "stampede strings" or not, you can tell the actual cowboys by the fact that they are all wearing Canvas sneakers, !!!!! ( so you can tell them apart from the truckdrivers) !!!!!! Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    I was told the way to tell a truck driver from a cowboy. was to see what side the b.s. was on. cowboys it is on the out side.