Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which rifle would you treat yourself to?

Boolit Master
    I have a 2yo son and another on the way. I built two AR15s of all top-shelf parts because they are what I like to shoot and because they may not be easily (legally) available one day. My children will each inherit one, legal or not. My children will of course inherit te rest of my firearms as well.

If you don't have an AR15 in your collection, you can buy or build a fine one in almost any caliber you like for $2k. 300blk, 458socom, 50beowolf all do great flinging cast boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

The main thing is that you use the rifle and make sure he sees you using it. If it's a fine rifle, then that makes it all the better IMHO. Buy something that is in a caliber that is easy to get ahold of, and shoot the living heck out of (top 5 are 308, 30-06, 270, 7mmRemMag, and 30-30)
    I am a gunsmith, (I also build custom rifles) and I can tell you that most folks get attached to the gun that dad used the most, even if it happens to be a single shot .22 Sears and Roebuck. I have people coming in all the time asking me to restore dady's busted up old junker and sometimes I can't get the parts they need and they dang near swoon when I quote the cost of making the parts from scratch. Makes me wonder why nobody ever tries to buy good quality firearms! Instead, the pricey ones get left in the safe, and the junkers end up doing the lions share of the memory making. That is dumb. It's much better to buy a firearm that you will use the living fire out of, and buy good quality so that they can enjoy it too.

One thing that you should consider is spending half that money on glass. Buy a nice, CZ rifle in your favorite caliber and throw the rest of the money into a VXIII. Good for you/good for the kids.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    It really doesn't matter what you choose for the rifle as to achieve what you want the real issue is spending the time with your son. Things don't matter, at all. Your son will remember the time you spent together.

The two most meaningful rifles I have were both my fathers, a benjamin pump air rifle and a Remington #1 rolling block. The reason they mean so much is the fond memories of shooting them with my dad when I was a kid.

A $200 .22lr and going through $1800 of 22lr ammunition with your son will be 1000 times more meaningful to him than a fancy $2000 custom hanging on a wall.

THIS! ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I would get a classic hunting rifle with a finely figured stock, mile deep bluing, and engine turning on the bolt. Then use the bejesus out of it. Your use is what makes it special. A safe queen is just a long object in a steel box.

And THIS! ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    The main thing is that you use the rifle and make sure he sees you using it. If it's a fine rifle, then that makes it all the better IMHO... It's much better to buy a firearm that you will use the living fire out of, and buy good quality so that they can enjoy it too...

And THIS! ^^^^^

Much wisdom there above. You won't regret following their advice.
    <
    Uncle R.

Either an M1A, a Springfield 03, or I'd finally get a good scope.

I would get the CZ catalog out and get one of their high end models in .308 or 30-06 and put a high end Leupold scope on it and say thank you, thank you.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    THIS! ^^^^^

And THIS! ^^^^^

And THIS! ^^^^^

Much wisdom there above. You won't regret following their advice.
    <
    Uncle R.
    I agree 100% and these bits of advise, I believe, have redirected my decision making on this topic at this point. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I bought an Old Model 70 in 300 H&H this summer in about 90% condition. $1700 from a friend. It came with a 4-12X VariX-III with brass and dies and some bullets.

Heritage grade for sure.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I would get the CZ catalog out and get one of their high end models in .308 or 30-06 and put a high end Leupold scope on it and say thank you, thank you.

Take Care

Bob

I agree. CZ makes some very nice rifles.

Why not get one that could become his first hunting gun. Use it a lot, tweak it a little, then let him use it. Low recoil calibers like 6.5x55, 257 Roberts, or 7-08 would be my choice. Put a good scope on it, and have a smith "accurize" it. It'd be neat to have a great gun that my dad used, then let me use when I started, and now I own it.

These would eve on my list for sure.
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/brno-effect-fs/
    Or Merkel makes the KR1 which can be had for $1500 to $2000. I don't like the looks, but a Merkel rifle is a work of art sure to be valued for years.
    Last edited by Tdart; 11-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master

Look at the rebuilds that Shupps Parkerizing does on Garands, They are worthy investments, and pretty.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    A .358 Winchester or 375 H&H.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Guess what guys, I had no intention when I walked into the gunshow but this pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .30-'06 in real nice shape was priced reasonable. Texting my brother and phoning my wife, I waited until the close of the gunshow and dropped $100.00 less than his asking price on the table. I got it! Taking it home and cleaning it up it's nicer than I thought. The barrel has never been free floated, the trigger has never been worked on. What a prize! My first Model 70.

Boolit Master
    There is really nothing like a Pre-64 Winchester 70.

If you are looking for a true piece of Americana, I can think of no better realization than the 70. I have a 1951 standard model in 30-06 and it has more soul than any other gun in my collection. It is not even in perfect shape although it is all original. There are some dings in the stock and the floorplate has a couple of scratches, but it makes me happy whenever I see it. It also shoots as good as any rifle I have shot.

If you have never handled one of these guns, I highly suggest it. They are sometimes hard to find on the used market unless you go to an auction site. The first one I handled was a typical gun show special. The buttplate was hacked and a pachmayer was installed, the metal was reblued, and the sights were all wrong. Even though it was hacked I realized there was something very unique to the pre-64 70's. I set my sights to own one, and it took me a few years to finally find one that was all original but had some character marks from a previous owner(s). I wanted a gun that I could actually use without fear of putting a nick or blemish on a factory new gun.

The high end collector 70's are very pretty, but it sounds like you want a gun that is more than a wall hanger. You can find an all original but shootable 70 for around a grand. The rarer calibers will cost you more, but might be worth it. I would also suggest you get a 1st or 2nd transition model instead of the third. Winchester started to cut corners to break even on the 1953-64 3rd type model 70 althouth they are still very fine rifles.

I really think that if you start a little research on the 70, you will be hooked. I also suggest that you find one on the second hand market instead of the auction sites. I have had two and handled many, but none spoke to me like the one in my safe right now. Eventually, I would like to have a safe queen or two, but I wouldnt trade my "beater" 70 for any model, year or configuration. It will go to my son or daughter someday.

**Roger Rule's book, "The Rifleman's Rifle" is the source for model 70 stuff. It will cost you 5 or 6 hundred dollars, but if you play your cards right, you could have a priceless model 70, a nice piece of glass and mounts, and one of the finest books ever written on firearms for your $2000. Or like a previous poster suggested, find a pre-64 in .257 Roberts and die a happy man.

Boolit Grand Master

Not only do you need to use it but you need to aso use it with your son its the memories that make these hierlooms special. My grandfathers 22 colt lightning that all of us learned to shoot, The shotgun He used with us small game hunting. The old 410 single shot all of us used at one time or another. All are special not because of what they are but because of the fond memories they rekindle, the good times they remind us of. Its not always the big vactions or hunts that are remebered but sometimes the quick trip into town or the range with a Pop and treat or unusual sight. Spend time and build these memories they will be strongest and any hand me down will be the trigger to them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    At that price I would be looking for a used Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in 257 Roberts. May or may not be able to find one. Or I'd buy a Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55. It doesn't have a wood stock. But their stocks fit me perfectly and I like composite stocks and stainless steel for hunting.
    If you like 257 Roberts, grice gunshop in Clearfield, Pa. has some special run win. model 70's in this caliber with maple stocks. several grades starting at just under $1,000.00
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by webradbury View Post
    Lets say you received $2000 and you had decided a long time ago if this happened, you would treat yourself to a fine rifle. This has happened to me recently and I'm drawing a blank! I want a rifle that I can pass on to my second son...my oldest son already has a fine C. Sharps headed his way when he's old enough. I originally planned on getting another Sharps so they would both have similar guns...but I find my resolve in that idea waivering after handling a nice walnut stocked Springfield M1A! I won't try to fool you and say I'm not going to enjoy the rifle up until I turn it over to the young one which will be about 17 years from now assuming the good Lord allows me to live that long. Please don't limit your ideas to my first two choices...I want to hear everyone else's ideal gift gun...a gun you would treat yourself to and then pass on. There may be some really neat or obscure gun out there that I didn't know existed...factory or custom...modern or primitive in design.

With that said, gentlemen, I turn this thread over to you, the most esteemed and knowledgeable group of shootists in the world.

Respectfully,
    Will B.
    If you are firm on 'it' being a rifle...Then I agree with what goodsteel said below
    ~~~~~~~ \/

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    The main thing is that you use the rifle and make sure he sees you using it...

...One thing that you should consider is spending half that money on glass. Buy a nice, CZ rifle in your favorite caliber and throw the rest of the money into a VXIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    If the main idea is to pass it on to the second son, why don't you find out what his bucket list rifle is? What you two like the most are probably different rifles.

I've been trying to figure out this bucket list stuff myself for the past year or so. If I can figure it out, I'll buy it, but there isn't anything I have to have, at least so far.
    In regards to 'bucket list'. My friend Babe (mentioned in the post I linked to below) had Cancer on and off the last few years of his life. He choose Guns as the items he wanted to pass along to family and friends. He was generous to me as well as a few others...BUT his only Son received Half of his real estate and a Fine Browning Medalist 22LR pistol, His Son seemingly went astray and squandered the inheritance...My side of the story is in the link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=Medalist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    If you like 257 Roberts, grice gunshop in Clearfield, Pa. has some special run win. model 70's in this caliber with maple stocks. several grades starting at just under $1,000.00
    Good thing that shop is hours away and 257 Roberts brass is impossible to find. Otherwise I'd be bringing home a new rifle. I wonder if it's a run that was done in conjunction w/ Cabela's 50th Anniversary. They had one in 257 Roberts but it has the gaudy anniversary seal on it. There is one at the Cabela's by me but it's still up there in price.

Boolit Master

Well....I just treated myself to a 35 Whelen built on a Mauser 98 action.......
    it is a caliber I have long wanted to have in the arsenal
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Los of good advice here. The using of it together is the key. What matters is the memories attached to the item. If you enjoy flint guns and find the Hershal House guns to your liking. I would suggest ou could attens the gun builders class put on by the House brothers in Ky this spring. You could experience the forging of parts and build your own rifle to your desires with their help. A tremendous experience and one you will always remember and can tell your son about as he grows up and sees you shooting your rifle that you built. That is something he will always treasure and should fullfill your desire for a pickmeup and the experience and memories to last several lifetimes! Do not think you have to be an expert to undertake this , and if you want , you can have someone you trust do he final finish for you . It will always remind you of the experience and you son of YOU!

For a family heirloom. Flintlock built by our guy in Mt will last hundreds of years. Never go out of style since it's already an artifact piece. Our history will never change.

As for all those pre 64 Winchesters. Fact is they were never all that great to start with. New ones being built are better than anything preceding them. Sorry for all you collectors but what you have is worn out rifles that were just so so to start with.
    Don't have any joy in pissing on pre 64 collectors parade but our OP want's to buy a gun and the pre 64 collectors rube is a squash. There is seriously nothing there. Just a pile of hype. Sorry collectors but I'm not posting to pump up your ego but to steer the OP onto a rifle.

Oooooo Gabby you is a cruel man. That is like stomping on Motherhood and complaining about Grand-ma`s Apple pie.

But truth be told.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"