WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Freechex II tools

Boolit Buddy

Freechex II tools

Just bought my second one of these. First was a .308 and just received a .243. The tools are well made, do exactly what is intended and Charlie has been easy to deal with. When my pocket is a little more flush I'm going to add a .358.

David

My personal feeling is the FC II makes a better check than the FC III. I have to do an serious testing to prove my theory however.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I have three of these free check II's 30,44,and 22. I got my rock Chucker press set up to make the 22 cal ones. I put a lee 45 sizer die with the punch up in it and a shell plate holder that will cradle the gas check maker the checks fall right down the ram where the de caped primers would fall. It works slick. And easier on my fingers. My 30 and 44 cal I use a aluminum plate to put the tool on and strike it with one of them black rubber mallets. The only thing I don't like is after a couple hundred my fingers get cramped a bit.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Bub
    so where do I order free chex11==?
    Don

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Freechex.net
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

whelenshooter i just received my first freechexII today. Love it all ready. I made a few .35 cal. up from some of the test stock he included and they fit perfect on my 200 grain NOE's. Can't wait to shoot some.

Boolit Bub
    I have 3 from pat and got 1 coming from free chex I hope to swap out some checks for some I need.
    Don

Has anyone used .014" aluminum in 35 cal. with the free-chexII? No instructions came with mine but i've seen a lot of posts about ameri-max .014 as being one of the most accurate but they didn't mention caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    Lith plate only at .008" -tj

in Remebrance
    35 Shooter, that is exactly what I'm using. The checks do not come off, in fact I have to gently tap them in place on the .30 cal boolits I'm making. By the way, you should be on a hard surface, preferably metal when tapping out checks, if not they won't be shaped quite right and will be very hard to install if you can at all. Found out the hard way. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Bub
    well I just got my 30 cal check maker from free chex and like it lot better then pat marlin's check maker the checks come out very well crisp walls next I will be ordering about 3-4 more checker makers.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Lith plate only at .008" -tj
    tjones how does the accuracy of the .008 compare to factory checks? I since have talked to Charlie @ Free-Chex and he told me i could go up to .010 but .008 or.009 would work better with the die with far less extrusion. I've been making a few up of different thickness to test for accuracy but sounds like you've been there done that. Did the .008 shoot best?

Boolit Buddy
    With 358156 Lyman 160 gr w/w 16gr 2400 in a 357 Maximum accuracy at 50 yard was superb with .008 lith, .0075 Copper, .009 half hard brass. All seemed better than .008 Gibraltar roof flashing. Lith plate was from JKH (2x6inch sheet sample from Charlie) here about a year ago, copper and .008 Al recently were samples indicated from yonky here on boolits. Checks are snug on the shank, some a dab of lube on the lead base for the brass ones that got sucked off in the base first sizer on ejecting, those I just stuck back on the bullet as before and found some bullets with the checks welded to the base of the ones I did find not shredded on impact with rocks etc. Didn't look too hard. -tj

tjones thanks for the info on the sizes your using. Sounds like the checks are staying on and that's good to know.
    Haven't shot any yet but they definitly snap on my bases tightly. I'm impressed with the little hand tool by Free- Chex.

In Remembrance
    The 35 caliber is a strange beast. I have found the .008 Lithographic plate to be one of the best gas check material for the .35 caliber. Of course .010 C210 copper is great if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    whelenshooter i just received my first freechexII today. Love it all ready. I made a few .35 cal. up from some of the test stock he included and they fit perfect on my 200 grain NOE's. Can't wait to shoot some.

Litho material rocks and is dirt cheap.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.