Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Maximum Accuracy Distance for a 30-30?

Voters
548. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100yds

86 15.69%
  • 200yds

260 47.45%
  • 200yds

93 16.97%
  • 400yds

32 5.84%
  • 500yds

19 3.47%
  • 600yds

58 10.58%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Maximum Distance With Accuracy

Boolit Master
    I was thinking the same thing, but then figured that they're the swaged ones I haven't messed with yet. Then again, and for the record, I strongly prefer cast in my .30-30s and most other calibers, this thread is about accuracy, and like has been said here many times, cast is NOT a disadvantage in the .30-30 at all, and if anything can be an advantage. So if someone chooses to do their testing with jacketed, I see it as a limited test that the rest of us should be looking at as a bottom rung that we should all be able to exceed. Not talking trash, but just in my experience, all three of my .30-30s are more accurate with cast than jacketed.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Nice shooting Win94ae, can you comment on your rifle and loads a little?
    Sorry for the late reply.

The rifle is setup the same now as when I bought it in 1983. The only thing I may do differently is keep the barrel band screws the same tension; they'll loosen from time to time causing a change in harmonic vibration.

I find the Audette Ladder Test to be the easiest and least costly method of load development; I'll usually find a sub-moa load within 10 shots. I've never found a jacketed bullet that didn't shoot sub-moa in this rifle. I hope I have as good of luck when I start casting, (probably July 26th when my molds are due.)
    I don't mess with seating depth, I'll set it for proper cycling through the action, then leave it at that.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Hi Win94ae, no problem on the reply.

I was curious as to possible modifications to the rifle and any special components used to get the level of accuracy you have obtained. There's a lot of misinformation regarding accuracy in lever actions and wanted to see if you used anything above and beyond to get the results you have.

I'm wondering if the AE models can produce a higher level of accuracy opposed to the older models. Mine are of the regular type. It may seem like nit picking but it can mean a big difference downrange.

When using the ladder method, do you use it at 100 yards or further for the 30-30? Thanks for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    Sorry for the late reply.

The rifle is setup the same now as when I bought it in 1983. The only thing I may do differently is keep the barrel band screws the same tension; they'll loosen from time to time causing a change in harmonic vibration.

I find the Audette Ladder Test to be the easiest and least costly method of load development; I'll usually find a sub-moa load within 10 shots. I've never found a jacketed bullet that didn't shoot sub-moa in this rifle. I hope I have as good of luck when I start casting, (probably July 26th when my molds are due.)
    I don't mess with seating depth, I'll set it for proper cycling through the action, then leave it at that.

Thanks!

When I was 25 years old I shot a 41/50 in sporting clays with my Rem M1100 Skeet 410; I got a 1/10 on the last station (Springing Teals @35+ yds) would I shoot this shotgun at pheasant at that time, heck no! (Way back then I knew better and I wish I could shoot that way now)

Depends what you are shooting. At game with a 30-30 Win 150 to 175 yds; 300 to 400 yds at 2 liter pop bottles filled with H2O. or whatever distance you can shoot at.

WAY Too many cable shows showing long range shooting that are total BS!

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    When using the ladder method, do you use it at 100 yards or further for the 30-30? Thanks for your efforts.
    I shoot my ladder at 300 yards.

I really don't do anything out of the ordinary. Here is the last time I load developed with the rifle.

That was all the components I could get at that time, blemished FTX bullets and H414; so it made for a slow load, but it was accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    My first "deer rifle" was a 336 I bought brand new at Wal Mart for $140 in 1981.
    Had a good friend that taught me to reload and I ended up shooting it a LOT.
    With a cheap 4x Tasco scope I busted milk jugs at 200 yards all day long.
    Killed a deer at a later lazer checked 225 yards,1 shot broadside thru the chest.
    Accuracy??? Well I got my butt chewed royaly and spend an hour with a hacksaw cutting the 1/2 in. bolt off the center link of a disk that I dead centered with my "durty thurty

Boolit Buddy
    I have hit,and killed deer out to 200 yards. I used 24"bbl 94 30-30 150 gr.reloads maxed out.In my more modern 24" bbl 94AE 7-30 waters I have taken deer,goats,pigs,and many escaped exotics(from neighbors ranch) at 300 yds.I have a Browning mod 92 20in. 357 mag that I have taken deer,foxes,rabbits,coyote,bob cat,raccoon,pigs,stray dogs,domestic cats,and rats out to 125 yards.
    I was raised on a ranch in west Texas where low life's dump their pets.There is no animal control to call.Dogs pack up,and drag down calves.Cats go wild,and kill game birds for fun which they do not eat.It's not fun,and no one liked having to do it.We couldn't afford not to.I had my first gun the year before pre-school.It was my"job" to kill varmints like Jackrabbits daily.10 jacks can eat as much grass in a day as 1 head of cattle. During certain years I was paid .01 cent for 2 sets of ears at the feed store.The money came from the Cattleman's Assoc.I could only make money if I didn't miss.At a later date,I used the wagon to haul them back to the house whole to freeze them. We took them out to cut them into pieces to feed the dogs.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Gents,
    Last April, I used my M94 Musket w/26" barrel and receiver sight on a 6" gong at a measured 350 yds- Standing position, leaning against a vehicle for stability- load was a cast 170 grain boolit w/gc over 10.0 gr Unique, Win LRP- a low velocity but accurate load- my observer used a spotting scope to walk my shots in to the gong, as I could not see the impacts in the alfalfa field (we were shooting ground squirrels)- 3 shots to walk me in to the gong-(rear sight all the way up) then he says "you're on it!" I put 5 rounds in the mag tube and hit the gong with 4 of the 5- at that point I put the rifle back in the case and called it a success- I knew I couldn't keep it up any longer- 350 yds with old eyes and iron sights and a tiny gong is bad enough!
    The 30-30 will do the job accuracy wise in a good rifle, if you do yours- the key is, DO YOUR JOB!
    358wcf

Good read. Been working on a hunting load for my winny trapper. I must be getting older cause i am working up a 75 yd load with low recoil on purpose. Lol.
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Master
    Catsmith,
    There's a HUGE difference between old, and just a mature, experienced hunter who knows what you need for your conditions instead of what the gun rags tell you that you need. I prefer to think of myself as not old just yet. I think. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Boolit Master
    I'd go about 325yds. That's where my 170 fp load would go transonic or subsonic and pack it in for me.
    Same bullet subsonic the same distance easy enough to shoot in a hand span.
    Constrapulating 500yrder shots etc and the wind is too hard for me to guesstimate where it may land let alone down to the 1 knt etc.

That's just me thou.

Hunting well about 100 yds standing 200 maybe more with a rest on something and how steady and confident I felt at the time with the shot and conditions present.If not I'd have to get closer or watch it for a while and enjoy the moment anyway.
    Such is life.

Barra
    Ohhh I'd like to go way out yonder thou if I could only see where the bloody things were hitting!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, after reading thru all of the threads, have decided that maybe the issue is shooting vs. lobbing boolits or bullets. With enough sight elevation and with minimal wind, lobbing a projectile a thousand yards is not a big deal. (A 22 LR will GO a mile but the elevation of the muzzle is steep for sure). Accuracy shooting at 1000 yards is another whole ball of wax, and for the gifted shooter, with young eyes, great wind doping qualities, and a bit of luck thrown in. More power to them that can do such things, as I am not one of them.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    I have hit,and killed deer out to 200 yards. I used 24"bbl 94 30-30 150 gr.reloads maxed out.In my more modern 24" bbl 94AE 7-30 waters I have taken deer,goats,pigs,and many escaped exotics(from neighbors ranch) at 300 yds.I have a Browning mod 92 20in. 357 mag that I have taken deer,foxes,rabbits,coyote,bob cat,raccoon,pigs,stray dogs,domestic cats,and rats out to 125 yards.
    I was raised on a ranch in west Texas where low life's dump their pets.There is no animal control to call.Dogs pack up,and drag down calves.Cats go wild,and kill game birds for fun which they do not eat.It's not fun,and no one liked having to do it.We couldn't afford not to.I had my first gun the year before pre-school.It was my"job" to kill varmints like Jackrabbits daily.10 jacks can eat as much grass in a day as 1 head of cattle. During certain years I was paid .01 cent for 2 sets of ears at the feed store.The money came from the Cattleman's Assoc.I could only make money if I didn't miss.At a later date,I used the wagon to haul them back to the house whole to freeze them. We took them out to cut them into pieces to feed the dogs.
    10-4 brother.....some of us know what you speak of..,.SL
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Its funny if you asked one of the people I was talking to he said he can get an accurate shot with his .30-30 out to a 1000 yards. then again he also said his .50bmg accurately will hit anything at 15 miles.

Realistically with a 170gr id say 150, 200 yards with a lil Kentucky windage, might be able to get 150 out a bit more but not much and at its distance you'd loose KE

Boolit Buddy
    I've taken a few deer at close to 200y with my scope sighted 336,
    Using leverevolution factory loads or FTX reloads it will put 3 shots into 1" @ 100y, with either of these drop is such that to a bit past 200y I don't need to allow for drop. I have shot a few groups on paper at 300, groups were around 4" and drop about 14".
    Given a steady rest and an accurate range estimation I would be confident taking a shot at 300.

My hand load using IMR4064 pushing a Speer 170gr FN will give me 4.55" groups at 200 yards and right at an inch at 100.
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67

Boolit Buddy
    If it adds anything or not to the thread, I don't know, or care

But I took a hog this past Monday at 163 paces.

Marlin 336
    Nikon 4x32 Scope
    150gr Remington Core-Lokt(I inherited a lot of the core-lokt when my dad passed)

I figure on the terrain that I was walking(mostly flat) that 163 paces would fall around 150-160 yards. Hog was DRT, no attempt to run.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    Quit pulling our legs! We all know a lowly .30-30 won't knock a hog in the dirt. So when's the BBQ? Nice shooting, and congrats.

Boolit Buddy
    Gave the hog to the neighbors, my freezer's currently 'almost' completely full. There's just a small space for a whitetail(if I ever see one this year )
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    My money is on you getting one if you see it with that rifle in hand. Best of luck.