Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First CB whitetail, first post

First CB whitetail, first post

First, thanks to all who have provided the information that got me to the point where I felt confident in taking these deer w/ CB.
    Been lurking at this site for probably 2 yrs.(never posted) trying to iron out all the mistakes I've been making!
    Second- this may be a little LONG. There was a lot of info that I was hoping to share, especially the boolit recovered from this buck.
    The story goes like this...opening day, Michigan 2013 deer season sitting in my spot at 7:25AM, heard a deer crashing thru the frozen swamp towards me. Could finally see him at about 60 yds, but was in thick brush and didn't want to take that shot.
    He came up out of the swamp and walked directly towards me, offering a quartering on shot. Wind was good, so I waited until he was a little past me (at 18 yds!) so I could get a better angle. Put the Rossi 92 with the Williams Firesights on his shoulder and squeezed. Bullet hit exactly where I had aimed and he bucked, kicked, trotted 30 yds. and fell over. WOO HOO!!
    Now, here is the interesting part, at least for me. I was concerned with how my boolit would fare on real game. I had shot them into all manner of available media (cardboard, water buckets, sand, plywood, etc), and thru a chrony, and gotten good results.
    Boolit= 150 gr., .360 dia. Mountain Molds .280 meplat .357 Magnum. Guessing Brinell hardness of about 9. Once fired .357 case w/SPM and 16.5 gr. of Lil' Gun. Gives me an avg. MV of 1925 FPS. The boolit entered the buck just behind the right shoulder, thru the ribs, thru top of his heart and lungs, thru ribs on opposite side and did not exit. I found it just beneath the skin on the opposite side.
    My unfired boolit weighs 151.4 gr with gas check and lube (homemade 1/3 beeswax,1/3 JPW,1/3 White Labeldipped RD style). The recovered boolit weighed 150.4, and still had gas check attached. Unfired, they are sized about .358 dia, and recovered boolit dia. was +/- .650. Full height of the mushroom was .311.

The doe ran up on me at about 50 yds. and stopped, quartering slightly. Bullet hit just forward of the left shoulder, went thru side of heart , lungs and exited 2" behind opposite shoulder with about a 1/2" hole. She ran 30 yds. and expired. Little (if any) meat damage. Good season, good eating and great learning experience. Can't forget to thank the Man Upstairs for the opportunity, and thank you all again for the great tips. Pics attached (I hope...first try uploading).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131121_103358.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	88184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131116_092400.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	88181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131115_095224.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	88177

Awesome first post. Looks like a 150 gr is enough to get the job done. That boolit expanded beautifully. Could not ask for more.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! What a great post!!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

Congratulations and welcome aboard! Nice deer, it is a good feeling using something you made to do something you want. Nice post, especially the recovered Boolit. Most of the guys have complete pass through and so have no recovered Boolits. By the way, I believe if you check with the experts that it is impossible to kill a deer with a 357 and clearly impossible to kill a deer, or even a rat, with a cast Boolit. Keep on posting! Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Rite on
    way to go and congrats
    yep that old under rated 357 mag
    incapable of killing deer
    Welcome
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Very well done!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

So jealous you guys get to use a 357 rifle!
    Nice shot, nice deer! Paco Kelly said 148gr was the lowest he would shoot a deer with.
    And jealous your posted pics are upright!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Congratulations! Very well done, the hunt and the first post. Keep 'em coming.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Master
    Thats one of the best jobs reporting I have read here! Showing the projectiles, before/after, and giving the statistics was awesome. Now if everyone would just do that!

That is awesome, and a great first post.
    NAHC Life Member, WV Citizens Defense Lague, NRA. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Great post. I really enjoyed the details. Please post more often than every 2 years. Sure can't accuse you of padding your post count!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Good job, and perfect boolit performance! You know how to make an entrance!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Very nice deer and report! This is what I'm hoping to get my CBs to do when I soften my lead a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and Congradulations !
    That was real good read and the pictures really add to the good story. Thank you for taking the time to write it all up.
    I grew up in the Benton Harbor area (Riverside) long before. Happy to see the deer abound. I was 17 years old before I saw a wild deer in the Paw Paw River area. Back then there was no deer hunting in our area.
    Keep on knocking them off. Those rib shots will not dissapoint. Maybe on day ILLinois will trust us to use a pistol caliber carbine to thin the dreaded corn cruncher population.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Congrats, LuckySavage, you did real well!

Banned

That is awesome!

Do it again!

Banned
    Awesome 1st post, and welcome to the Michigan 357 Cast Killing Club.

Best first post ever. Great job with your load development and hunting!

Boolit Bub
    great job and 1st post, i may have to rethink my marlin 357 rifle. i like mountain molds , i have a 300 grn round flat nose for my 44mag marlin.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome first post, great story well told with good pics and a doe for a bonus! Welcome to the forum, you certainly know how to make an impressive entrance. No need to wait two more years for your next post but that first post will be a tough act to follow. I have a couple of good sausage recipes over in the cooking section, looks like you'll be needing them soon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.