Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick Lube hardness

I tend to like lubes that need some heat, it just makes handling bullets less messy during reloading. WhiteLabel CR or TAC are working great for me. Their BAC is a non heat alternative, but it is a bit sticky in summer.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Harley,

For what its worth, I have only been using my 4500 for a month or two. When I started out I loaded it up with Carnuba red. It is usually around 75'ish year round where I store my bullets or maybe a touch cooler. I lube them up and gently pour them into some plastic octagon shaped containers that use to hold the short screw driver bits like you see on the check out counters at some hardware stores. I don't have any issues with having to wipe mine down when loading, but they will stick together a bit when the lube rings line up. Just a light tap on the table usually gets them all free again with no ill effects that I have noticed.

If you have issues with it, and don't want to continue using it, feel free to give me a holler, I don't mind disposing of it properly for you ....
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Buddy
    I use an Old Hair dryer and heat for few minuits and works for hour plus, I get lube from S&S vendor White label lube and from a few others there as well,
    but only time i really need to heAT THE lyman 45 is for CR or other really hard lubes

lots of good info on this thread from lots of guys that know there stuff if your lookin to blend lubes

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Mike.. If it only got to be 78 here in the summer I would do the same.. in the summer it reaches 110.. so a soft lube on the bullet would have to be kept in the Referigator.. that iis why I need a lube that can take the heat.. then Carnuba Red sounds like one that will fit the bill.. I use Red Rooster now but the cost it a little high.. Thanks for the suggestions.. Warren
    Quote Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
    Harley,

For what its worth, I have only been using my 4500 for a month or two. When I started out I loaded it up with Carnuba red. It is usually around 75'ish year round where I store my bullets or maybe a touch cooler. I lube them up and gently pour them into some plastic octagon shaped containers that use to hold the short screw driver bits like you see on the check out counters at some hardware stores. I don't have any issues with having to wipe mine down when loading, but they will stick together a bit when the lube rings line up. Just a light tap on the table usually gets them all free again with no ill effects that I have noticed.

If you have issues with it, and don't want to continue using it, feel free to give me a holler, I don't mind disposing of it properly for you ....

Quote Originally Posted by harley6699 View Post
    ummm chop " I need a lube that can take the heat.. then Carnuba Red sounds like one that will fit the bill.. I use Red Rooster now but the cost it a little high.." chop
    if you like red rooster you'd prolly prefer the commercial carnuba red a bit better , it's still not quite the umm crayon type lube that rooster is but it's a closer to it , i myself miss the HVR and soon will miss their zambini because once my limited stock is gone it's history as they havent made any in a couple years and wont again , the feller retired , there was some discussion and he offered to pass on the recipes and such but it's a bit bigger investment than i can swing currently
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

My first time with stick lube today....

I just got this spiffy restored Ideal #1 lubesizer and I melted a stick of Carnauba Red from lsstuff.com and poured it into the reservoir, then I borrowed one of the little 35 watt mini-spotlights out of the oven hood and put it in a desk lamp right up against the sizer for about half an hour (til it was quite warm to the touch).

Then I stuck a bullet on the little plunger and....

with one magic pull of the handle, up pops a nicely lubed bullet.

I did 5 different styles and it did the single fat groove ones...

...just as easily as the multi groove RanchDog designs. I used it over 5 hours (while watching football today) and made several lubed bags of bullets and probably did enough bullets for at least 2 years of shooting the .30-30.
    So, apparently, even though CR is hard lube, it doesn't take a tremendous amount of heat to get it to flow. Heck with pan lubing ever again!!!!!!

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like the old sizer is working good for you.

Happy shooting!
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    with one magic pull of the handle, up pops a nicely lubed bullet.

I did 5 different styles and it did the single fat groove ones...
    What IS that beautiful boolet?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45
    What IS that beautiful boolet?
    That would be the 311440 Hammer O Thor, by MiHec.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Hammer-o-Thor)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    That would be the 311440 Hammer O Thor, by MiHec.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Hammer-o-Thor)
    I am so jealous. Does it shoot as good as it looks?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

bhn22
    $6.00 per stick for lube? LBT Soft is only about $3.50 per stick. What's this world coming to?

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/lube.shtml

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I am so jealous. Does it shoot as good as it looks?
    Gee, I dunno. I don't actually shoot em!

I will get around to them though. I got a bazillion ranch dogs, 291's and MP .308 Hunting Boolits to run down the tube 1st.
    Mom wanted her Winchester 94 back last week to take care of some coyotes and now I only got a 30-30 Handi here, so I don't use a lot of lead in that caliber.
    I just lubed these up because I had some freshly poured, and I just got that lubesizer and wanted to play with it.