MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 magazines

Boolit Master

1911 magazines

Ok,

I'm in the market for a few 1911 45 magazines. Looking at midway, seems to be many makers, and prices.

I'm looking for "plain vanilla" nothing fancy, but works reliably.

I've seen discussions about different feed lips, followers, ect. and not really sure I understand what their talking about, or which mag. has which.

I mostly shoot hg68 clones, the lee 230 TC, with / rarely a bit of factory ammo.

I have the factory Colt that came with the gun, and a shooting star 8 rd. both worked well for about 20 years. Now the shooting star has started to jam. Weak spring I think.

Any suggestions?
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    I use the Wilson 8 and 10 rounders and the McCormick 8 round power magazines and have great luck with both.I have used the shooting star McCormicks in the past.I upgraded the springs to power mags and they work great as well.
    I know these are the premium mags but if you buy from Brownell's they sometimes have a deal on three packs.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master

I would first replace the mag springs, if you think that is the problem before replacing the mags, springs are cheap.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I'd put a Tripp rebuild kit in what you have.

Boolit Buddy
    If the mags you have, have removable floor plates a set of Wolff replacement springs should fix up the old ones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I would first replace the mag springs, if you think that is the problem before replacing the mags, springs are cheap.
    I thought about that, but it looks like the floor plates are welded. Not sure I could cut and reweld, or how I would go about doing it.

Also it might be nice to have a spare or two
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    I thought about that, but it looks like the floor plates are welded. Not sure I could cut and reweld, or how I would go about doing it.

Also it might be nice to have a spare or two
    The followers and springs will pop right out the top of the mag. Just tip the front of the follower up wards and tilt then down along the back of the tube; they'll pull right out the top.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Usually, the tube has a hole in it. Compress the spring slightly with a bushing wrench or similar. Put a nail or similar through the hole to hold the spring. Remove the now loose follower from the top of the mag. Put the bushing wrench back in to hold the spring. Remove the nail. Work the Spring out the top of the magazine. Note that the spring ends are different. Reassemble in reverse order.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I prefer the Check-Mate 7 round dimpled follower with the hybrid lips.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

bhn22
    Colt mags are often sold at a discount. I probably have ten of them, and as many Wilsons. My guns and I are both allergic to cheap magazines anymore. I bought a bunch of gun show cheapies (marked Colt 1911) and the feed lips were loose within a month. No heat-treating. No more cheapies!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Forget McCormicks 8 rounders if you are going to carry this for a defensive weapon. They WILL fail.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    If you have a Colt 1911 I would stick with the Colt brand Mags. If you have a Kimber I would go with Kimber Mags Etc. In the 80's when I was shooting IPSC at the Southwest Combat Pistol League I never noticed a faliure with Colt Mags, but plenty with copies.

Boolit Buddy
    wilson combat mags are phenomenal if your paying money for new mags dont skimp and i would rebuild your current mags with quality springs and followers

Boolit Buddy
    I have had really good luck with GI surplus mags in my Springfield. They seem to work better than the original Springfield ones. They appear to be made better too. I bought a few in the original packaging with NSN for $8 each about ten years ago. I wish I bought more because I can't find any now.

Boolit Master

I've had great luck with MetalForm Mags. They can be had plain or with removeable floorplates, round followers in either blue or stainless.

gmsharps

Moderator Emeritus

I've converted my 1911's and Colt Delta Elites to CheckMate magazines. They work every time, which I can't say for the others.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DBH45 View Post
    If you have a Colt 1911 I would stick with the Colt brand Mags. If you have a Kimber I would go with Kimber Mags Etc. In the 80's when I was shooting IPSC at the Southwest Combat Pistol League I never noticed a faliure with Colt Mags, but plenty with copies.
    Interesting considering that both of those are made by Checkmate...........

Dan

Moderator Emeritus

I use Wilson stainless steel 8 rounders.....they are the best .... when I was still a police officer it was the magazine that never failed and always produced.....in my Kimbers and Colts....good luck....Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    Checkmate 7 round, hybrid

Boolit Mold
    Wilson's work, period. You get what you pay for and worth every penny.