RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lee 155-312 bullet for hunting ? .30 cal AR Blackout

Boolit Buddy

Lee 155-312 bullet for hunting ? .30 cal AR Blackout

I've been shooting this bullet at the range for some time now out of my .30 cal AR15 Blackout. It's a wonderful bullet, but would it make a good hunting bullet for White Tail? I've never shot anything with a pure lead cast bullet before, and have the itch pretty bad to try it, but don't want to screw up, and loose a deer over it. What ya think guys ?
    I'm using wheel weights for my lead
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Have you tried any softer alloys, like 50/50 pure lead & WW with some tin?
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Have you tried any softer alloys, like 50/50 pure lead & WW with some tin?
    well I added tin in this mix but none with softer alloys.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Mine is up and running now. Most of the kinks are lined out. 155-312, gas checked, powder coated, sized .309 with 2.000 oal in front of 16.0gn of Lil'gun. Shooting about 4" at 100, but that's probably near my limits with no magnification (Eotech). I need some magnification before I do any further load development. I'm in south central Kentucky, so my furthest shot won't be more than 125yds. Season starts next week, and if the postman brings my 10rd mags (KY law), I'll be in the woods with that very round.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Master

I have taken a number of hogs in the 200lb range using this boolit from the AR-15 platform so I am sure it will work well on White Tail. I am planning to use this combination coming Saturday.

Over 30 million buffalo think it is a baaaad idea to shoot at animals with a lead boolit.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Master
    I asked the same question a few months ago.I got a different response than your getting. Back then the opinion of those posting was the bullet was to pointed. I worked up a load with the Lee309150RF. I have no personal information to share on how either will perform.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input fellas....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post
    I asked the same question a few months ago.I got a different response than your getting. Back then the opinion of those posting was the bullet was to pointed. I worked up a load with the Lee309150RF. I have no personal information to share on how either will perform.
    Ah, opinions, we know much about those. Personal experiences are less common. I have taken a number of large hogs with both the Lee boolit and the NOE 316-155 sized to .310. The NOE boolit has a nice meplat but I saw no noticeable difference in their effect. Hogs died with both types of boolits used.

Boolit Master
    Capt. do you have any idea what velocity you're getting with the load?
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Are you using stick on's, or clip on wheel weights? If they are clip on's you are fine, but the stick on's need to be cut 50/50 for this application. I had good luck with this boolit in a couple of blackouts, but with my shooting skills it was only a 4" boolit at 100 yards. I could pop milk jugs all day with it. I tried to get up to 2000 fps, but max was about 1950 before brass was getting trashed. I would keep it around 1800-1850 with the suggested load of lil-gun, H110, or W296. You can squeeze more speed out of the lil gun without pressure signs, but it will heat your barrel up fast.
    I got my deer this year with a 300blk pistol. I should have used cast, but was doing some work on some soft point 125 sierra's, and that is what I grabbed that day. Working on the 311410 that Mihec just finished. Great boolit! shows some promise.

Boolit Master

I would want more meplat than the Lee boolit has, JMHO. I don't doubt that the deer will die with a good hit from that boolit, but you may have to do some follow up tracking. I have had some hard hit deer with fast jacketed bullets go some impressive distances that don't seem possible. You probably aren't going to have the benefit of hydrostatic shock to help with that boolit. In my experience the bigger meplat helps. Good luck!
    BTW that is my favorite boolit in my BO.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!