Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12ga Boolits?

Boolit Grand Master

Dixie had a nice slug in the Tusker but I don't think they sell them anymore. I liked the design though it was for rifled gun. It was 600 grs. or alittle over.

What they do have now that looks impressive is the Dixie IXL-DGS slug at 870 grs. which is closer to your desired weight.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

You could try some to see if they suit you then get a full bore mould made in similar design and weight if you like them.

Alternately you might see who has what and see if you can get some samples to try then get a mould made of the slug you like. There are a few guys shooting the heavy stuff ~ Greg, Ed Hubel and turbo for instance.

Yeah, those cookie cutters would probably slow down quick but they were meant for close range self defense.

Longbow

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=73-900F-D.png

I just ordered this mold. Gonna have a hollow base and flat base pin made for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an USH and have reloaded for it. AA hull, about 200 gr of BP and a Dixie full bore hard cast slug. let's just say, you know when it goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    I have an USH and have reloaded for it. AA hull, about 200 gr of BP and a Dixie full bore hard cast slug. let's just say, you know when it goes off.
    Did the smoke ever clear?!?

BB

Boolit Buddy
    A bit of smoke....... One good thing about shooting slugs is that you can easily see the holes in the target. No need for on of those fancy spotting scopes.... Just look for daylight.

In Remembrance

Now that is one guy who could really help you out: Dixie!
    its really a shame that James Gates at Dixie is out of commission for health reasons, a huge loss to this community. i try to get as much of the load data on his specialty loads (tri-ball, tri-ball 3.5", and heavy slugs, as well as wad column building) and keep it alive by re-posting it.
    but he really has a wealth of knowledge to share, has been very generous about sharing it. I hope his knowledge, ammo and components remain available to all for years to come; but you never know.
    He doesnt know me, but he is in my prayers.
    C-
    Last edited by cpileri; 10-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    Jason, I'm pretty sure the Mold your ordered is a base pour design. You're not going to be able to make a hollow base that way. A hollow point is possible. The Mold needs to be Nose pour to modift the base design. Check it out before Tom starts cutting Chips.
    Bullshop, PM me and I'll try to help with some Slugs.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    A bit of smoke....... One good thing about shooting slugs is that you can easily see the holes in the target. No need for on of those fancy spotting scopes.... Just look for daylight.
    You can say that again. Thats why i want to get this gun shooting good with a load that will shoot clean through a moose. He isnt walking far with a hole that big.

Greg,

I have been talking to Jason re: this mold and he told me Accurate will make most of their molds as top pour so you can you use a HB pin. Once Jason gets this mold I may need to invest in a 12ga USH as my 12ga at just under 6lbs is a tad light for that much lead.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Greg,

I have been talking to Jason re: this mold and he told me Accurate will make most of their molds as top pour so you can you use a HB pin. Once Jason gets this mold I may need to invest in a 12ga USH as my 12ga at just under 6lbs is a tad light for that much lead.

BB
    Is USH a brand or gun? Im not realy sure what youbare talking abkut with that.

Ultra Slug hunter, thats the rifled barrel for the H&R

In Remembrance

The USH is what i use, and you cant go wrong there; its the cheapest way to get a nice slug gun. I have lead inside and stuck on the thing about everywhere it will fit to add weight. its ugly, but it sure gets the job done. i think however, for the 20 ga i will get the Savage 220.

I have my USH detailed pretty well in the beginning of all my "test" posts.

greg will recommend a custom ithaca. its a step up in price but not too bad at under 1000 bucks. definitely on my bucket list.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Accurate molds will cut any of his molds to use a hollow base plug . You just have to specify it in special instructions on order form.

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Ultra Slug hunter, thats the rifled barrel for the H&R
    They also have the Tracker and tracker 2. Mine is a tracker two. Weighs in at exactly 5 pounds

The USH is a 12ga rifled barrel that is made from a 10ga barrel blank. It is mounted on the same frame HR1871 uses for their 10ga guns.

BB

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-2550-D.png
    this is how mold looks after cut. You supply your own pin.

You can pick which design you want cut this way

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    The USH is a 12ga rifled barrel that is made from a 10ga barrel blank. It is mounted on the same frame HR1871 uses for their 10ga guns.

BB
    I wish i had the heavy barrel on mine. The pardner barrel is pretty thin, and it actually has a small bump inside where the forarm mounting stud is.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=73-900F-D.png
    now I need some suggestions on the design of hollow base pin.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you guys considered the newer Ithaca rifled Guns? They are very well made, and a Pump action, allowing for faster followup Shots.
    I wouldn't go after big Game with a single Shot, unless I had someone to back me up. I feel very confident with my 2 custom Ithacas, I only used their actions, and Stock. I had the barrels made. For a nice Stock rifled Gun, I'd go with one one them. I seem to recall they had a Guide Model with a Synthetic or Laminate Stock, and for Bear Protection. I haven't seem the inside of their rifled bores, but they seem to be accurate.

The best Advice I can give with Shotguns and Slugs, is that they are Finicky. A slug and Load that works for mosr Guns, can shoot Poorly in another. Sinc almost all Shotguns have the standard forcing Cone, I like to go with a longer slug to guide it i nto the Bore. It would be nice to make a Slug Mold with a Hollow base that could be swaged around a dowel to increase the Length, without making it Fragile.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

I had a Ithica for awhile in 16ga an didn't really care for it. I thought it was kind of heavy for something i would be packing a lot. Im not too worried about a singleshot. I shoot a lot of single shots and have gotten pretty fast at reloading them. Not that i expect much to need a second shot with a booit that big...