Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I require a left handed percussion rifle?

Boolit Master

Question Do I require a left handed percussion rifle?

As the heading reads, I am left handed and iam planning on purchasing a 50cal. percussion muzzleloader.
    So far, only Lyman seems to make a left handed percussion muzzle loader.

I always wear saftey glasses when shooting blackpowder. Should this make that much of a difference?

Boolit Buddy

By firing a right hand lock percussion rifle left-handed it places the lock, nipple and hammer right next to your face and when the rifle goes off there are cap fragments and some escaping gases from the nipple. Id seriously consider a left handed rifle either by Lyman or a custom made one it can be done. Mr Flintlock on "Impossible shots" shoots left handed rifles.
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with SamTexas on this. If something blows out more than likely it will be heading right toward your eyes or face. Not likely but still it happens. Someone just posted about the powder drum blowing off his rifle. You are talking about releasing 20,000 lb. of pressure more or less. They are out there. Buy or even build one or even go with an inline. Not my favorite but safe.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I agree with SamTexas on this. If something blows out more than likely it will be heading right toward your eyes or face. Not likely but still it happens. Someone just posted about the powder drum blowing off his rifle. You are talking about releasing 20,000 lb. of pressure more or less. They are out there. Buy or even build one or even go with an inline. Not my favorite but safe.
    I see what you mean. I have three in lines already, and wanted to try this traditional avenue out.
    With living in canada, I am not sure if getting a left handed Great plains rifle from track of the wolf is possible. Getting the rifle accross the border may be an ordeal!

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I shoot lefty but have never owned a left handed gun. I have several sidelocks and have never had a problem. the only issue I've ever had was the occasional bit of sprayburn on my right wrist. I put a flashcup on and that pretty much solved that problem.

Boolit Master
    Another aspect is the flash of the cap.... #11's are too bad, but if you go to a musket cap, the over flash will be painful if you don't use a long sleeve or arm guard.

Aloha...

Or what ^^^^ said...

Boolit Buddy

Well, I'm a lefty. Been using a standard side lock since the early 70's with never a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I also am left hand challenged but most of my muzzle loaders are not left handed ones. I don't think I would want to limit myself to only left handed guns. Some very fine guns are or were only made right handed and shoot for me very well. Consider this, as far as the lock and hammer having to be on the left hand side for you if you ever make the decision some day that you want either a double rifle or a double shotgun in a muzzle loader , well you get one hammer on each side don't you ? Those doubles have worked just fine for a lot of people over a lot of years with one hammer on the wrong side for everyone.

With all this being said if you stick with muzzle loading guns you probably will want a left handed gun sooner or later. Just because it is left handed. I know that I did and I have had a couple guns custom made as left hand guns. There is nothing wrong with that but it is not inexpensive to have a gun custom built and in some cases I went with a good quality right handed gun because it was less expensive and available now instead of a year wait from a gun maker.

So as in all things the final decision is yours. But if that plains rifle is a great bargain or the squirrel rifle is in great shape and just seems to call your name, don't let it get away just because it was made for a right handed person. Us lefty's can adapt and do just fine.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

Boolit Master
    Really good points 451pete!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 451 Pete View Post
    I also am left hand challenged but most of my muzzle loaders are not left handed ones. I don't think I would want to limit myself to only left handed guns. Some very fine guns are or were only made right handed and shoot for me very well. Consider this, as far as the lock and hammer having to be on the left hand side for you if you ever make the decision some day that you want either a double rifle or a double shotgun in a muzzle loader , well you get one hammer on each side don't you ? Those doubles have worked just fine for a lot of people over a lot of years with one hammer on the wrong side for everyone.

With all this being said if you stick with muzzle loading guns you probably will want a left handed gun sooner or later. Just because it is left handed. I know that I did and I have had a couple guns custom made as left hand guns. There is nothing wrong with that but it is not inexpensive to have a gun custom built and in some cases I went with a good quality right handed gun because it was less expensive and available now instead of a year wait from a gun maker.

So as in all things the final decision is yours. But if that plains rifle is a great bargain or the squirrel rifle is in great shape and just seems to call your name, don't let it get away just because it was made for a right handed person. Us lefty's can adapt and do just fine.

Just out of curiosity, don't the hammers on them doubles hit more "inline" rather than off to the side?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus58 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, don't the hammers on them doubles hit more "inline" rather than off to the side?
    Depends on the gun. Currently I have both double rifles and double shotguns. My dream gun is a double flint shotgun, enough so I ordered one in June. From my experience shooting both double cap and flint guns if you see the hammer or the fire from the touch hole you are going to miss. Focus on the target. Looking at my glasses I would say anyone who chooses not to wear them is nuts.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

In Remembrance
    Is cabellas available in canada. If so they have a couple models available in leftys. I bought a left handed hawkins from them several years ago and have never been disappointed in it.

Boolit Master

I am left hand advantaged an only own two left hand firearms one a Jim Chambers kit flint and a Sako 375 H&H. All of my other percussion and centerfires are predominately right hand guns. I have not felt disadvantaged with any of them and some folks say they do not like brass flying in front of them but while concentrating on the front site I haven't noticed flying brass. I have a T/C Seneca in 36 and 45 and a Hawken in 50 cal and have had no issues. I do wear safety glasses just in case. i bought the left handed flint just because but would have gotten a right hand with no reservations. Keeping most of your firearms in the right hand configuration gives you a bit more marketability if the need arises compared to left handed models.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Depends on the gun. Currently I have both double rifles and double shotguns. My dream gun is a double flint shotgun, enough so I ordered one in June. From my experience shooting both double cap and flint guns if you see the hammer or the fire from the touch hole you are going to miss. Focus on the target. Looking at my glasses I would say anyone who chooses not to wear them is nuts.
    hehe.... I've never shot a double side by side anything and would love to try one sometime... Anyone who chooses to shoot any side-lock without eye wear is nuts to be in my opinion...

Boolit Mold
    Given that in side by side right handed shooters had for centuries a lock in front of their eyye and nobody complained, and that I am southpaw, too, and shoot right handed muzzleloaders without problems I'd say that there is no problem.
    Protectie eyewear is mandatory, but it should be regardless of the "handedness".
    Just my

Boolit Master
    I am left handed and shoot a Lyman Plains rifle (right hand rifle). With no problem, also owned and shot a CVA Mountain Rifle with no problems. Safety glasses are probably a good idea, but I didn't wear them until recently and have not had any problems with blow back, powder, bits of caps or anything. I have never tried a flintlock, but think I would definitely want a left handed lock for that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 451 Pete View Post

+1 on this! I too am in my right mind and have shot mostly rt hand models all of my life. I will admit that my first ML rifle was an H&A underhammer and that is a good one for a lefty. My only flinter is a left hand model though. I wear glasses.

Boolit Master

Get an underhammer, fits anybody and it is a neat little rifle.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 10-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Get an underhammer, fits anybody and it is a neat little rifle.

Bob
    Just remember not to use an agressive target stance with the off hand drawn in close. The tattoo on my left wrist has mostly gone away after more than 40 years.
    Alan
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

I'm a lefty and I have been peppered more than once with the right handed model. I wear prescription glasses and if yours are plastic lens and you shoot a bit they definitely have a chance of being pitted. I'd wear some type of shooting glasses.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.