Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 62 of 742 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162562 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 14840

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    yeah. only mine are the real deal. coating designed for bullet coating. not garden furniture.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    That's the colour we need! Sweet!
    WTB: Magma Star Lube Sizer
    WTB: Ballisti-cast or Magma Casting Machines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    That's the colour we need! Sweet!
    There is another red. Fire engine red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-30_19-47-03_528.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	82281
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Get that **** over here!! I wannit!
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-12-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Tek better use the name too. Only it'll probably have to be made an acronym DDR. And when we do see it on the shelves I'll giggle every time, cause only a few will know. Lol

Love Life
    When do I get the fire engine red? I want it now! I believe I'll file a complaint in the complaint department...

I also wonder why this did not pick up here earlier. No smoke, no greasy buildup on the gun or hands, no lube build up in the dies, no having to clean the loaded rouonds after loading. This stuff is the bomb diggity.

Who knows though. Many people are retarded in their knowledge of cast bullets and believe cast bullets will wear out a barrel faster than jacketed.

The coating works, and is very easy to use after you screw up the 1st 2 batches or so.

I had no leading with my traditionally lubed bullets, but I had the mess from the lube. Now all you need is an el cheapo lee sizing die, a 30 dollar oven, and a coffee tub to coat your bullets. Store forever without the lube drying or sticking to other bullets and stuff.

Keep this stuff coming to the states, but please keep the drop bears over there. I heard they will eat your face, and I like my face.

Yea, I like that red. Cast 10# of 30/30 PB & GC this morning, going to try lite loads with the dark green again, just for plinking, PB & sans checks. The 165 308 seemed to reasonable @ 50 in the 336. Got a tripod & chrony now so I can really do reasonable testing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    Get that **** over here!! I wannit!

Hey Shotgundrums, I may have some here in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-12-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome sir! Which one? Put me on the reserve list.
    Thx!! Josh

Boolit Buddy
    Trevor how about smurf-d*ckhead blue? Blue bullets would look great.

Boolit Master
    It is funny how Americans didn't pick up on this coating quicker, but we in this country were slow to pick up on many other aspects of casting. There are still guys over here who are living in the dark ages. In the last two years I know many who have learned so much from this site.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    Trevor how about smurf-d*ckhead blue? Blue bullets would look great.
    Joe was attempting to make a blue for me for the past 6 months and he could never get it stable. It kept turning green. The last sample pic he sent was a fairly stable greenish blue if I remember.

So I'm thinking blue is not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    It is funny how Americans didn't pick up on this coating quicker, but we in this country were slow to pick up on many other aspects of casting. There are still guys over here who are living in the dark ages. In the last two years I know many who have learned so much from this site.
    SC

Most of the people who have "picked up" on Hi-Tek are pistol shooters who do not have Stars. I can see why it is attractive for them. A properly adjusted Star does not "goop up" the bullet with excessive lube and we can lube and size over 1000 bullets/hr. Using a regular sizer or pan lubing is slower and there is "goop" to deal with. There is also a benefit for the few who have bullet feeders - but they are very few. For me, there is no driver to initiate a change from the Star. Making trays, doing the mixing, shake and bake (sometimes more than once) and still having to size does not make sense when I can run the Star. And the Star takes up less one square foot of bench space. If I did not have the Star, I would have jumped on board too - at least to try it.

So far, Hi-Tek has not equaled the performance of lubes in rifle bullets. I had high hopes it would prove out but at this point it seems PC has more potential. I have followed the work that popper has done and it looks like he has abandoned trying to get full power loads from his .30/30 using Hi-Tek. I am not saying one mans experience is all I am basing this on - but he has done (or at least posted) the most on rifles.

Still, I keep reading these threads as I realize there is a lot of work still being done and a breakthrough could happen that changes the game. Keeping the fingers crossed!!

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Yep. The blue is a real pain. I tried a few different blues last night, just to re-visit them and check my previous testing results. The Blue ARG100 went green with both the normal and the extreme cat. So did the blue PLSL666. The Blue 6001/R is getting anther run today. I know there is a blue that went really dark, almost black. this is the one Hi-tek is going to mix with the experimental resin 1 to see if it will stay lighter blue.

The reds are very temp and time sensitive. if they are baked at my normal settings of 200deg C for 10 minutes, the colour will fail the wipe test. but if they are baked at 200deg C for 12 minutes, they pass with no problems.

Normal and extreme catalysts work fine. 2 and 3 extreme do not.

Hi-tek sent a new red. Red BB. I mixed and coated with it last night. It is a very dark maroon. similar to Rose Red AE, but darker.
    It also needed longer time in the oven, just like the other reds.

The blue green with experimental resin 1 stayed a bright light green (Zombie Stoppers) after 2 coats. This boys and girls is a keeper... I'm loading a few 100 to fire off Sunday.

I gotta build a bigger shed. I'm running out of room to store all the Hi-tek test sample coatings. There are about 28 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    Joe was attempting to make a blue for me for the past 6 months and he could never get it stable. It kept turning green. The last sample pic he sent was a fairly stable greenish blue if I remember.

So I'm thinking blue is not going to happen anytime in the near future.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Don.

The commercial casters here have been making 30/30 cast and coated bullets for years. No gas checks. No problems. No leading. No accuracy problems. The pigs, goats, roos, dogs, foxes, rabbits, dingos, camels, donkeys and crocs drop like flies.
    I have used them in my mate's 30/30 marlin when we go out west chasing pigs and it is bloody fantastic.
    Coating may not be for everyone, but everyone should use what works for them.
    I'm a "cup 1/2 full" person. not a "cup 1/2 empty" person.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    SC

Most of the people who have "picked up" on Hi-Tek are pistol shooters who do not have Stars.
    Not so. I owned a Star for awhile. It was the most finnicky waste of my hard earned dollars that I've had to deal with in years. I'm a pretty savvy fellow, and I can read the instructions.

I set everything up right, and it would run like a top. The, randomly, it would start lubing noses...

I checked everything. Everythings was as it should be. It was just a pain in the butt.

I was incredibly happy the day I off loaded that thing and bought a Lyman 4500 and a Lyman 45.

Star sizers can suck it.

Now I wish I had the Star back (with no lube) to size my coated bullets. The Lee dies are fast, but the star would be faster.

Still, the benefit gained in my pistols (cleanliness) is soooooo much better than traditional lubes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    SC

Most of the people who have "picked up" on Hi-Tek are pistol shooters who do not have Stars. I can see why it is attractive for them. A properly adjusted Star does not "goop up" the bullet with excessive lube and we can lube and size over 1000 bullets/hr. Using a regular sizer or pan lubing is slower and there is "goop" to deal with. There is also a benefit for the few who have bullet feeders - but they are very few. For me, there is no driver to initiate a change from the Star. Making trays, doing the mixing, shake and bake (sometimes more than once) and still having to size does not make sense when I can run the Star. And the Star takes up less one square foot of bench space. If I did not have the Star, I would have jumped on board too - at least to try it.

So far, Hi-Tek has not equaled the performance of lubes in rifle bullets. I had high hopes it would prove out but at this point it seems PC has more potential. I have followed the work that popper has done and it looks like he has abandoned trying to get full power loads from his .30/30 using Hi-Tek. I am not saying one mans experience is all I am basing this on - but he has done (or at least posted) the most on rifles.

Still, I keep reading these threads as I realize there is a lot of work still being done and a breakthrough could happen that changes the game. Keeping the fingers crossed!!

Don Verna
    Hi,
    Just wanted to ask if posting on page 63 with rifle ammo using Hi-Tek, was of relevance to what you are thinking?
    Many are of the opinion that the coating was not suitable for high speeds.
    It appears, that results shown on page 63 seem to add some credibility of what can be achieved.

As advised many times previously, the coating has been used on Jacketed ammo to reduce or prevent Copper fouling, and was used with great success.
    This was with rifle ammo, so I dont really know all end use applications, but from knowing properties of the coating, there is no reason why it should not work.
    It may be a simple thing to match alloy, powder to ammo and get right results.
    I found, that over they years, many who are successful in using the coatings, dont publish their results.
    It is most disappointing as many would like to benefit from wisdom gained from others.

Boolit Grand Master
    I own a Star but will keep messing with the coating. Why? Because the concept intrigues me. The idea of no mess on the finger, dies, or gun?

Banned

Ditto, btroj clean is great.

i have 2 star sizers, luv-em. I just want a mrbulletfeeder.biz collator some day. My star will be run by pedal power soon as i can get some laithe work and my O/A tanks full. Yea, pedal powered, hehehe.

Nice lil' mess of 500 of my custom 380/108gr.. No lube ring.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fisdoaufw...2021.14.30.jpg
    Last edited by gunoil; 09-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Nice bullets sir, I liked the idea of your mold so much I sent my 6 cavity off to be machined will post some pics when it gets back.