RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: easy PC

Boolit Master
    I can't see this being as consistent of a method of application as electrostatic gun.

Boolit Bub
    Managed to get the hair spray to work for me. Didn't even need to change brands. Coverage in one coat looks better than piglet methood but still needs two applications for complete coverage. I'll need to do a direct coparison set between spray glue and hair spray. I think the spray glue will be more likely to give full coverage in one coat, but I'll need to experiment to be sure.
    Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
    Martin Luther

Boolit Master
    Found out something, I had just tumbled the boolits in the powder had no problem. Then I cast 500 30 cal one day and waited till the next to coat, surprise no luck. Thought about this as had no problem right out of pot still warm. So I put the boolits on a screen and heated in my toaster oven at 200 for 5 min. and while still warm it stuck. well I am through now all coated twice and sized and ready to load.
    No I have no idea as to why!
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    I also tried heating the bullets before applying the dry powder coat. Worked well.

I still use the electrostatic gun the most and is the most direct way to apply the powder coat.

I have coated fishing jigs in the past with a type of powder coat that required you heat the jig before dipping in the powder and then heating again to cure the powder coat, a blow dry was used to heat the lead on the fishing jigs this process also worked good. They sell the powder coat for the fishing jigs at the local fishing tackle place.

There are a lot of ways to get the powder coat to stick to the lead before it is cured in the oven. Heating with a heat gun works.

Do these methods (hairspray, heating, etc) use up more powder than the Piglet method?

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't think so. When the hairspray is used it is a thin coat of powder on the bullet. It's probably the closest to what the electrostatic method is like in terms of powder use. Can't say for certain as I never tried the piglet method or electrostatic. Was going to but then I caught wind of using hair spray. I have a lid for the tub I'm tumbling my boolits in so I can save the leftover powder in that for the next use.
    Martin Luther

Boolit Bub
    I think I might have to try this Powder Coating.

Boolit Master
    I can do 100 200 gr 30 cal boolits with a tbl spoon full and have enough left to use the second coat, then have a little left to put back in container.
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    i think this method uses less powder then the electrostatic method because you recover everything that is not stuck to the boolit. I have not tried the piglet method so would not know with that method.

Boolit Bub
    I have also tried pre-heating i think this method would work. if you can find the right temp. the problem I had was i dumped about 5 heated bullets into the powder and they came out as 5 bullets in a puddle of melted power

Boolit Master
    I only heated them to 200 deg for five min. and by the time I dumped them in the powder you could hold them comfortably.
    Actually didn't dump them in the powder I put the powder in on them after transferring to the plastic freezer dish.
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    Did my experiment compairing between using spray glue vs. hair spray. Results seem to be about the same. Neither one had complete coverage in one coat. Though I do think the hairspray may have had more complete coverage. I used the heat method for applying the second coat. I let the boolits cool a bit from the oven before dropping them into the powder. There also appears to be no diffrence between diameter between spray glue and hairspray method from what I can measure. I need to stop coating so I can start shooting.
    Martin Luther

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolit picture.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	82313

here is a picture of some boolits that I used hairspray on

Boolit Buddy
    Hi GUys,
    I just run into this DIY Powder spray gun
    Some good tips on the how to apply
    http://www.powderperfect.com/ppstoreeastwoodDIY.asp

Orisolo - I looked at that one and read the reviews before I get the HF unit. reviews were not good. I'll stick to the HF unit.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

the eastwood gun is not very good .. hit or miss if you get one that will work and very cheaply made ..
    harbor freight gun is much better (yes I really said that.. I cant believe it myself) I have coated well over 1000 bullets so far with the HF gun and still works great
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry if i mislead on the post.
    I meant that this page had good tips on how to actually spray the powder.
    I wasn't paying attention to the gun itself

Tried Freightman's method yesterday on some room temp 308s. Took 2 coats to get it done but only a few not completely coated. Takes a lot of shaking, not just swirling, else they just skid around & drive bands don't get coated right. Removed them from the plastic tray with fine tweezers and set upright in the oven on non-stick foil. These are w/o GC for 30/30 plinking. I got to 1300 fps H-T'ing these, trying for 1600 PC'd. After more practice I'll try GC'd and compare accuracy with ES PC'd in the 308. Loaded a bunch of 40SW this morning then looked at the powder can - H335. Oh well, just re-size, which pulls the boolit and dump the powder back in the jug. Should have had that 2nd cup of coffee.
    Whatever!