Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: slings and shooting

slings and shooting

Expanding on the theme of shooting service rifles or any rifle for that matter, I would like to ask how you folks either practice with a sling or the technique to really "anchor" in to shoot consistently. I have never used a sling that much and am not sure if I am using then correctly. I can get somewhat comfortable but looks like I am shooting buckshot!! Any help would be much appreciated!!

rmcc

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This is one instance where I can recommend Youtube. Search "high power shooting sling".
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Every rifle I own (cept the flinter) has the same one handed sling on it.
    Ive been using the sling as my ole man showed me since I was 12 years old, and first went deer hunting.

There are some really good DOD videos on you tube to help you learn

Just dont let the DOD know I showed you this, being restricted and all

BTW I use the web style, not the leather ones showed here.
    My mauser has the leather sling that I got with my Garand
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

"Comfortable" in a shooting sling........oxymoron. ..........possible cause of "buckshot" groups. Video is nice but a good high power coach is need as it's hard for you to see what you are doing wrong and correct it.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

A properly fitted and used shooting sling is definitely not comfortable. It should be adjusted very tightly, high into the support arm, and will pinch and restrict blood flow. When a shooter is slung up correctly, with the butt of the rifle in the shoulder and the sling pulled tight, the rifle will be supported nicely without the firing hand even touching the rifle. During a long string of shots I will watch my heart beat cause my front sight to bounce. Yes it is uncomfortable to use, but my scores went up by 20 points the first match I fired with one. Jim Owens has excellent info on his site about their use, and lots of other good reading.

Boolit Grand Master

Too tight can be a bad as too loose. For most people having it tight enough that it is uncomfortable but not to the point that it hurts is about right. For me I want it tight enough that it will support the rifle with no muscle support when I am in position but not so tight as to induce pulse jump.

Some good basic info on the sites below:

http://www.illinoishighpower.org/gen...SR%20Sling.pdf

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...igh-power.html

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI3kgou0UY
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-09-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks for the help guys.

+1 on looking up Jim "Top" Owens on this and related subjects.

The high power shooters have a lot of experience with the sling, also with breathing, trigger control, wind doping, etc.. Any rifle shooter would be well advised to learn from them. Learning the basics would make a big difference to the average rifle owner.

But remember high power shooters are honing their groups down with more precision than the field shooter needs. The average rifle owner can use the basic principles to greatly improve his groups without strapping himself into a shooting jacket and jamming his left arm into a vise-like sling.

There's room for compromise. Jeff Cooper endorsed the "Ching Sling" to improve field shooting while remaining practical and comfortable.

Personally I prefer the military-style match sling, adjusted not-to-tight. This is because the Ching Sling slides down my arm. But a lot of people like the Ching Sling.

I would not hunt with a high-power shooting glove, jacket, etc. But I do like the military-style match sling.

This applies to rifles stiff enough for sling use and properly bedded. I am not sure how shooting slings affect the point-of-impact of lever rifles, or single-shots with a barrel band front swivel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    +1 on looking up Jim "Top" Owens on this and related subjects.

This applies to rifles stiff enough for sling use and properly bedded. I am not sure how shooting slings affect the point-of-impact of lever rifles, or single-shots with a barrel band front swivel.
    The use of a sling can make drastic differences on point of impact for rifles where the sling swivel is attached to the barrel. We had a steep learning curve with this factor when we tried the M-16A1 over the course in 1969. Changes in sling tension could walk you right out of the 5-ring.

It's also a factor for rifles that depend on pressure from the forearm for accuracy tuning because you're essentially pulling the forearm away from the barrel by some varying amount.

Taking these issues into account, though, even if varying sling tension alters point of impact, a sling is still a big leap in potential accuracy over an unsupported position without it.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Grand Master

Am a firm believer in a hasty sling when still hunting, and for prone/sitting/offhand for target. Just my opinion!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

After doing it wrong for a season and a half, I finally dug out my old NRA Shooting Manual,
    and started working on the position. Ultimately, the key for me was to make sure that the
    sling was HIGH on the shoulder, and that I was careful to get my left elbow directly under
    the rifle. I had it off to the side before and this was the most critical issue. But with the
    sling very high on the arm and the elbow under the rifle, things suddenly clicked and I
    was immediately shooting a lot better. Good shooting glove helps the comfort a lot, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

A good militarystyle sling used correctly is a big aid to shooting small grooups and good scores. I perfer the leather sling over the web sling unless its raining. Watch wat you use to protect the sling as some will make leather strechy. The lower portion is unhooked, A half turn in the upper part of sling,the arm goes thru the loop and is snuged down above the muscle not on it, The first keeper is down tight to arm with tail thru it the second is pulled down with the tail rolled tight or folded and end tucked into first keeper. I deally you want the sling pulling from outside of arm when elbow is under the rifle. Sling should be tight enough that you have to push the rifle forward with palm of hand and placed in shoulder. When all is right rifle will be supported and stay in positon with sling and off hand support only. One of the mods to M14/M1As was to weld the front sling swivel so it wouldnt unwrap from sling tension recoil. Also to bolt them in with flat head screws intead of the rivets.
    With the AR15 I picked up 6 mins of elevaqtion due to sling tension on the barrel. The reason whay the Float tubes were made with the sling on the tube insted of the barrel.
    A good position with natual point of aim proper sling use and a good rifle makes shooting exceptional groups much easier to do.

Buckshot looking groups could be more fundamental issues than just your sling wrap. All shooting requires good fundamentals, but shooting service rifles at long range will really bring out your flaws if there are any in your fundamentals. Learn your sling wrap for sure, but really coach yourself through your fundamentals with each shot.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Buddy
    I did an Appleseed shoot this summer and learned a lot more about type of sling and how to use it. If you can get to one of the shoots you will learn a bunch and have someone coaching you - best $60 I have spent on rifle shooting.
    Info can be found here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by repawn View Post
    I did an Appleseed shoot this summer and learned a lot more about type of sling and how to use it. If you can get to one of the shoots you will learn a bunch and have someone coaching you - best $60 I have spent on rifle shooting.
    Info can be found here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    +1, I was going to suggest the same. Learning at 25m with a 22 will carry over regardless of platform. I've been to 2 Appleseed shoots, now it's the occasional high power match.

I started shooting High Power this and have learned alot. These people are a great bunch and willing to help new people out. Find a local range that has matches and go on out and talk to some of the competitors. Seems to me there are several ways to use a sling, you just have to find the one that works for you. One shoothe taught me one way and another tried to teach me another. I stuck with the fist set of instructions and my scores have gone up considerably.

Boolit Master
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80JyfZ4gBQ follow the other pat mcdonough videos, for fundementals of sling and posisition

It 'ain't' something you LEARN by reading or watching!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    It 'ain't' something you LEARN by reading or watching!!
    it does help though, can at least get you in the ball park if there is no local help.