RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: How do you tune a flintlock?

Boolit Master

How do you tune a flintlock?

I would like to know how you tune a rocklock.

Boolit Buddy
    Send it to Brad at Cabin Creek muzzleloaders. www.cabincreek.net

Boolit Master
    Im guessing you want to do it yourself. I have wondered the same thing. Im sure someone will chime in with advice. Not sure If I would do it but I would like to know how.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Im guessing you want to do it yourself. I have Johnwondered the same thing. Im sure someone will chime in with advice. Not sure If I would do it but I would like to know how.
    That's the idea, to do it myself and learn how these guns work at a really basic level.

Boolit Master
    It's an art- achieved only with luck on a first try or by some work and a lot of experience. There are a few on here who have done a lot of FL tuning. I've watched and listened to one very experienced FL shooter who has his own secrets. I've tuned a few of my own FL guns. I've read most there is on the subject. My conclusion is- it's an art mastered only through lots of experience, punctuated by some trial and error. But I absolutely do know one of the first steps- shot to shot consistency with lots of spark straight down into the pan.

Please read "Tuning a Flintlock for Success" here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ck-for-success

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It is all the relationship between sear, tumbler, and trigger. It is something much easier learned by watching it done a few times, then buggering parts. First thing to remember, if you own a Dremel tool, throw it as far away as possible.
    I did go through some of it on boerranchjoe's thread on shooting the trade gun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-gun-shooters
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-10-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    easiest way to tune a lock...buy a Jim Chambers lock and slap it on, then go shooting
    Domari Nolo

Look for videos on youtube. That said, make sure the demonstrator is a reputable builder and not some Bubba with a video camera. Hershel House did a good video on lock tuning, I seem to recall Jim Chambers doing one as well. They may or may not be on there, but it's worth a look.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Grand Master

Well you turn the tuning peg till each string... nah.

There have been numerous articles and I believe there is a sicky somewhere on this. You are asking a question that would require pages of text to answer. IIRR the book of buckskinning covered this pretty well in one issue. The other problem is that how and what you tune depends on the lock. A Harpers Ferry lock in positivly the worst designed lock ever made and a Nock needs only to have a flint installed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    easiest way to tune a lock...buy a Jim Chambers lock and slap it on, then go shooting
    I think Jim's locks are the best on the market at the time, but I still end up putting in an hour or two fine tuning them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Plus one - on Waksupi's comments. Some seem to need a little less - or more time. But the best on the market for my money
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. The threads are illuminating.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Apropos of nothing at all...

A few years ago, I read of an experimental high-speed photography project involving flintlock rifles.

Actual filming revealed that, in a well-tuned rifle, the ball exited the muzzle BEFORE the cock stopped moving. Now, THAT is impressive.

"Click-whoosh-bang"??? Uhhhh.. no, I don't think so...
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen