MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Hot!!!!!!!

Hotter than the hubs of He!! here in Omaha! 98 right now and probably will exceed 100. Kind of hard to remember before Air Conditioning, but I do recall sleeping on a matrass on the front poarch with a fan blowing over you and still sweating enough to soak the matrass. Them really weren't the good old days.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Hard to remember the night miseries in New Orleans years ago, nearly as bad as RVN.
    Gun control is not about guns.

in Remebrance
    I remember well when Dad built this house in '58 it had a big attic fan, no AC, he said we didn't need it. We slept quite well with that cool breeze, but it did bring in a lot of dirt. Later years as his health declined he had the AC put in. Now we can't do without it. We ain't as tough as our forefathers. How 'bout when they didn't have windowscreens! GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    No arguments that people are softer now than they once where.

House are also built different now which can make it much harder to live without A/C. Years ago fuel was cheap and A/C was either non existent or only for the ultra rich. Houses were built with this in mind. High ceilings and little to no insulation. You can go into a 100 year old house without A/C in 100 degree heat and the first floor is fairly comfortable with a fan. Go into a modern house and you may pass out. Then again you will go broke trying to heat that 100 year old house.

Boolit Master

I remember many a night laying in bed sweating and not being able to sleep would listen to the am radio to see were all the stations came from. WWL and the truckers show was always a favorite.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

In the late 40's and early 50's, the only air conditioning I can remember was in movie theaters and bars. If you lived in the country like I did, on Fri, and sometimes Sat night as well, the kids got to go to the movies (15 cents/10 cent popcorn), and the parents went to the bars. When the movie was over the kids went to the bar and played shuffleboard until it was time to go home. Usually about 11:00 p.m. because parents had to work the next day, and when we were in our teens so did we.
    1Shirt!

Boolit Master
    Little bit of frost on the grass here this morning. Still no air conditioning

Boolit Master
    I just got back from Phoenix and 100F is kind of the minimum there. Poor old Toyota did not like the heat so I left the Air Conditioner off. It isn't too bad if you don't have to work. Temperature shock coming out of an over air conditioned restaurant is worse than the heat. I kept the motel room in the 80s but my SIL likes their apartment at 72. Quite a shock when it's 108 outside.

I spent most of this Summer in the fog. Coastal Marine Layer to be correct. Today it was unusually low and you could not see the ocean from the cliffs above. The pullouts along Hwy 1 were packed with tourists but the usually spectacular view was gone.

If you were here today, sorry, this is how it really looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aview.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    I remember well when Dad built this house in '58 it had a big attic fan, no AC, he said we didn't need it. We slept quite well with that cool breeze, but it did bring in a lot of dirt. Later years as his health declined he had the AC put in. Now we can't do without it. We ain't as tough as our forefathers. How 'bout when they didn't have windowscreens! GW
    I grew up with an attic fan as well. Soothing sound, but you are right about the dust. Memories.......

I well remember life before AC. And some people call those "the good old days"!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

We had a big window fan,but on the nights that were about as hot and humid as the days we would take a big towel wet it and wring it out as dry as you could and then sleep with over you,real comfy for the most of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post

House are also built different now which can make it much harder to live without A/C. Years ago fuel was cheap and A/C was either non existent or only for the ultra rich. Houses were built with this in mind. High ceilings and little to no insulation. You can go into a 100 year old house without A/C in 100 degree heat and the first floor is fairly comfortable with a fan. Go into a modern house and you may pass out. Then again you will go broke trying to heat that 100 year old house.
    That describes my house to a T. My house was built in 1900. The ground floor ceilings are 10', so generally the downstairs stairs pretty comfortable. The house was clearly designed in a way to capitalize on the west/east prevailing winds. The upstairs does get pretty gnarly in the late summer even with the wind. There just reaches a point where the temp in the house equalizes with the outside, plus the aggressive humidity we have in southwest Ohio makes it a challenge.
    We finally had to kick on life support Sunday due to nasty hot/humid spell we are having. I checked the temp upstairs and it was cruising at 90 @ 80% humidity. Bleck. It is funny, when it gets that humid the house swells like crazy and the doors get really tight.

Boolit Bub
    When we refurbished our 1950's home here in Southeast Missouri (SEMO) we had the choice to take out the attic fan. The company who did the new AC unit for upstairs tried to get us to take it out. We decided, not only to keep it but upgrade it. Best decision we made. It moves so much air, that if you have a door not all the way open, the air catches it and slams the door shut

In Florida growing up, we had a home that had the jalousie windows and an attic fan and it really was not bad living within a few blocks of the beach

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post

I had a family farm house till a few months ago. Built in 1880 with lots of trees on the west side if the house. Didn't have ac till I picked up a couple window units as I got older. Cost a fortune to heat.

Even though it was hot at night it was better than being out in the sun midday baling hay or picking raspberries or blackberries. We hoed beans by hand, dug out tile with a shovel mowed the lawn with a push mower and this was before/after work! lol
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

Took the better half to New Orleans as a tourist in July when I was in conferences all day. She caught pneumonia in 100 degree weather from going in and out of air conditioning. Not a lot of smart folks will ever get pneumonia in New Orleans in July!
    1Shirt!

Boolit Master

If anyone speaks wistfully about the old days, I am reminded of the smell of an outhouse in August.

Boolit Grand Master
    It was hot here to....
    Almost reached 90......

Boolit Master

We're having a cool spell, probably won't hit 100 today - might, tho...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy

My parents house that I grew up in didn't have A/C,during the day we were always outside anyways so it didn't bother us and at night we would just turn the fans on and open the windows,if it was to bad i'd just sleep in my tent where I could get a breeze. I'm only 35 so this wasn't THAT long ago,i see a big difference in how much people can tolerate these days. I see 20 something guys/girls now and they would die if they didn't have a house to go home to with a/c,not much younger than me but big difference in tolerance.