Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wich handgun should I carry in Bear country???

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Agreed, Bruce. I always figured if you needed a heavier bullet in a .44, Elmer would have been using them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have killed several live moose with a .44 over the years here in Alaska. Also 4 grizzly/brown bear. Have hunted exclusively with a .44 revolver since I was 18 years old. Been in on a lot more with hunters that I was guiding.

In the early years, I was always careful about shot placement, or more careful I should say, with the 240 to 265 gr jacketed bullets I was using. I did not take frontal shots, and preferred , behind the shoulder lung shots.

The first grizzly I killed with a handgun, was with my S&W mod 29, and still my biggest that I have shot for myself,so far. He was approx. 8 1/2 ft. I was using the old, original 240 Sierra, because from experience I knew that they would not expand , and penetrated very well, basically performing like a solid.
    The bullet entered between the front shoulder and neck and ended up in the rear ham. It was slightly deformed from striking the rear leg joint. The bear died within about 15 to 20 seconds, and ran about 25 yds from where he was eating a salmon.

Then J.D. Jones came up with the heavy cast bullets, SSK /NEI, and I am convinced, made a different gun out of the .44, at least for my uses!!

With the SSK's, 310 gr from my alloy, I am confident of complete penetration from any angle. I ALWAYS prefer complete penetration on anything that I shoot. A .44 LBT will leave a 1 inch hole all the way through, and this creates a LOT of damage!!

I eventually gravitated to the LBT s in the early 80s when I got my .500 and .475 Linebaughs.

I feel that there is a big difference in potential penetration of the 240/265 grain .44s,
    and the 300+ .44s, if they are of similar construction.

I would be very willing to take a frontal shot on a big Alaska moose or brown bear with a 305gr LBT LFN,

but not with the lighter weights!!

Bob
    Last edited by BRobertson; 08-27-2013 at 08:44 PM.

I should add, that I have never recovered an SSK 310 gr or an LBT 300+ gr bullet from anything.

I am hoping to get a chance this November to try a frontal shot on a Mountain goat. I would like to get at least one more before I get too old to hunt them. They are our most underrated game animal, and by far our most dangerous to hunt!! Because of the terrain they inhabit of course!!

I want to hit one in the brisket with a 300 LBT LFN and see what effect it has when it bores on through and comes out his tail!!. I have never seen one actually hammered to the point that it showed the instant affect of being hit!! That includes
    one of our hunters that hit his big billy in the shoulders with a .338 250 gr Nosler Part.

If elephants were as tough as the goats, pound for pound, you would have to hunt them with M 1 tanks!!!

Bob
    Last edited by BRobertson; 08-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I haven't had Elk meat yet. I hear it is delicious, but I can sure tell you how GOOD mountain goat is! OMG.. Slow cooked in the oven with taters and veggies in gravy in a closed roasting pan.

Boolit Mold
    Have hunted in Idaho for half a century - because I live here. Have been charged by black bears three times. They move incredibly fast. They cause almost numbing fear. If you are in heavy cover it could be on you before you could clear a holster or even raise an already held gun. I own 25 handguns, big hole and small. I don't have one I'd want for bear protection. Listen to the lads that talk about large rifle calibers or a shotgun with slugs. Even so, if things are in the bear's favor, make sure the wife knows where you
    r insurance policy is.

Celt, I sure look forward to hearing of your elk kill. You have gotten excellent advice here and I just hope a big chunk of luck comes your way and you score big. As Waksupi said tho, if the weather is warm you will want to get the guts out quick. Best of luck to you and welcome to Idaho. JW

I deal with bears at least weekly. Especially this time of year. My experience with charging bears is SHOTGUN. first shell 7.5 shot game load and OO Buck (or slug). The 7.5 will blind the bear first shot which gives you a serious advantage. I used to carry a 45 for that purpose. I now carry my 590A1 Shotgun. The 7.5 is amazingly effective as the bear will take massive tissue damage and loose at least one eye from the first shot. (unless you miss from being scared S_itless)

I have had this discussion with several locals. We have black bears, Cinnamon brown bears, and Grizzlies (not many but it only takes one) Friday we came across two yearlings mock fighting in the middle of my driveway. They are out everywhere right now eating Choke cherries, Service berries, Black currants, even wax currants (yuk).

Very loud bang, massive tissue damage, And blinded a bear becomes allot less of a threat. If you cant deter/drop a bear with 8 shots you are missing allot.

One of my neighbors got charged last year. He was carrying this exact combination. Bear turned and ran after first shot. Not sure how messed up he was but nonetheless he was no longer a threat. This even only solidified my belief in the combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I deal with bears at least weekly. Especially this time of year. My experience with charging bears is SHOTGUN. Alternating 7.5 shot game load and OO Buck (or slug). The 7.5 will blind the bear first shot which gives you a serious advantage. I used to carry a 45 for that purpose. I now carry my 590A1 Shotgun. The 7.5 is amazingly effective as the bear will take massive tissue damage and loose at least one eye from the first shot. (unless you miss from being scared S_itless)

I have had this discussion with several locals. We have black bears, Cinnamon brown bears, and Grizzlies (not many but it only takes one) Friday we came across two yearlings mock fighting in the middle of my driveway. They are out everywhere right now eating Choke cherries, Service berries, Black currants, even wax currants (yuk).

Very loud bang, massive tissue damage, And blinded a bear becomes allot less of a threat. If you cant deter/drop a bear with 8 shots you are missing allot.

One of my neighbors got charged last year. He was carrying this exact combination. Bear turned and ran after first shot. Not sure how messed up he was but nonetheless he was no longer a threat. This even only solidified my belief in the combination.
    I hope you are not serious about the bird shot!!!

The purpose of the 7.5 is to hurt, scare, and blind the bear. It really does work very well. Multiple people out here have survived bear charges unscathed using this setup. I take the results more seriously than anecdotal info.

I thought it was crazy at first too, but after thinking about it and knowing people that have successfully used it I am a believer.
    This has ended charges from two of the three of the bear types we have. I used to be in the "You need a hand cannon or big magnum to stop a bear" I am now a believer in the method.

I seriously considered changing out for #2 shot for the above purpose. The point is buckshot doesn't have enough pellets to increase the likelyhood of an eye shot. The 7.5 was never intended to seriously injure the bear. Just inflict heavy facial damage and blindness. Their face isnt nearly as tough as the rest of their body.

Think whatever you want. But it works.

Banned

I will defer to most anybody, especially someone who is in the process of making me two perfect ingot molds, but how many shots can you count on firing? Any more than one shot would be a "bonus." Bears can move way fast. I would go with something like the Dixie Slugs Tri-ball. Two or three .575/.600 hard cast round balls. Twin-ball, or Tri-ball, should take the fight out of any animal including the biggest, baddest bear. As to the O/P, check out Belt Mountain Punch Bullets. They dominate handgun penetration testing at the Linebaugh Seminars. http://www.beltmountain.com/punch.htm

I understand and agree that two shots would be a max unless you see him coming from a distance. And I agree anything with serious stopping power is a good thing. My first shell is light shot for one reason. Blinding. Anything heavier wouldn't help that goal.

I was just as skeptical as anyone until I saw the results. Losing your eyes stops all baddies.

Moderator Emeritus

Good luck Celt! I pack a .45 Colt RBH when I'm in the woods up here.

You'll be hunting in my old stompin grounds. I'm 35 miles West of Sandpoint just across the state line, if you get into trouble feel free to give me a call. You can PM me if you'd like the phone number.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes good luck, elk is good eating. Serious sense of accomplishment getting your first one as well

Boolit Master
    A shotgun would be a fine instrument if one were simply out fishing or hiking but the OP is there to hunt elk.

I suspect that two long guns are not his forte.

Any heavy long gun would be fine as long as you have adequate control of it ... a .338 WM is certainly up to the task.

But I have yet to see a hunter that can dress out their elk and have their long gun ready .......... goes for packing it out and for nature breaks .........

And that brings us back to a handgun or spray or both.

I have more faith in a weapon that does not have to be shaken before it's used.

By the time you can use spray assuming you already shook it ...... it's too late for a handgun and likely even praying if the spray did not impress it. Now if you are downwind, that pepper spray might just impress the dickens out of the shooter ..... but it would'nt generate a good outcome.

I think the OP is on the right track packin' his .45 Ruger with the slugs he's used to.

Also, the poster with the 310 WFN's running end to end gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about my .480 Ruger!

The Smith 329 (Scandium .44 mag) was mentioned as too much recoil by some .... I disagree. I shoot my .44 Mountain gun and the 329 I shot with bear loads was not that much more recoil. If you needed one and had taken the time to work with it ...... you'd use it. Way better than large bandaids.

Best regards

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-28-2013 at 02:04 AM.

A bud of mine kilt two bear in AK with a 40 cal, using black talon style rounds.

Me, every time I hit the out back, my Sig P220 and two mags of 45(acp) will be hangin off me belt.

I just loaned to my BFF who is gone a on retreat in bear country.

He has The Lord & Sig Sauer on his side.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Celt, I sure look forward to hearing of your elk kill. You have gotten excellent advice here and I just hope a big chunk of luck comes your way and you score big. As Waksupi said tho, if the weather is warm you will want to get the guts out quick. Best of luck to you and welcome to Idaho. JW
    Sure appreciate it JW, I'm hoping that I am successful as this is my one and only chance to make good on a lifelong dream. Truth be told even if I don't score an Elk the opportunity to hunt Northern Idaho, fish the lakes and spend time with my cousins is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Sure appreciate it JW, I'm hoping that I am successful as this is my one and only chance to make good on a lifelong dream. Truth be told even if I don't score an Elk the opportunity to hunt Northern Idaho, fish the lakes and spend time with my cousins is priceless!
    I say AMEN to that!!! Memories of things like that are the best things we have!!!!

Especially as we get older!! Us old farts know the value of such things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    If bear spray to the face works, then a 12 gauge with bird shot in the face works better :guntootsmilie:
    Not a fan of bear spray!!!

Works good on dogs though!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Try fishing the Kootenai River just north. Great blue ribbon stream.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Try fishing the Kootenai River just north. Great blue ribbon stream.
    Thanks Waksupi! Appreciate the fishing tip, as well as other sage words of wisdom!!!