Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Tactical"

Boolit Master

Nothing is gonna help folks who can't shoot - 30 rd clips, red dots, blah blah. Ok, the old eyes aren't what they used to be but a couple of 12 gauges loaded with big load buckshot is my choice. They don't call 'em streetsweepers for nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tacticool is the preferred term for everything mall ninja.

Black is in! It makes a gun look so cool. Raises the price a bunch too.....

Boolit Master
    I don't care much for plastic/synthetic stocks but I use them becuase they are weather proof. I had a Remington 870 forearm jam up on me during a very wet turkey season. I have pretty guns with wood and I have some guns with plastic. I love the wood but the gun has to work under circumstances I am using it. Are most of the "tacti-cools" sitting in elements 12-13 hours a day subjecting their guns to the abuse? Probably not but it's fun to imagine how much it disturbs the Democrats that they are out there.

Boolit Master
    Don't know anything about being "cool" ...tactical or otherwise, but...

My son has spent a few dollars "tacticalizing" an SKS...new stock with adjustable stock, bipod, extended mags and just this week a Red Dot sight of some flavor or another.

We hope to have time to try his "new" toy out this weekend. Neither of us have any intention of "playing soldier"...we just intend to have a good time at the range every couple of weeks.

I would rather he spend time and money at the range shooting than getting involved in some of the **** I see other 19-year-olds doing.

If it bothers some people that some of that time shooting is spent with an SKS or AR-type rifle with a couple of "enhancements" on it, at least he is paying his own way (he pays for his own gun club membership dues) and supports gun rights.

We need to support young people who are involved in the shooting sports, not criticize what they shoot (or wear, for that matter).
    This sport will not survive without new shooters.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Many people here forget most of the stuff we're shooting was once considered Tactical. Whether it was a rifle, rifle caliber or handgun related most weapons have Military roots! That said; do I own an AR, yes; is it decked out with all the Tacti-Cool accessories, no. It is a good shooting accurate rifle whose roots can be traced to the Military. Garand rifles were once Tactical now they're considered one of the most accurate rifles ever produced but I don't really think they're considered to be tactical anymore. Now people that dress up in Molle vests, run around ducking behind cars and shooting at Taliban targets there "TRAINING!!!" Check this out!! LOL!!!

http://www.damngeeky.com/wp-content/...zombie-gun.jpg
    In the lines of "training" I do it and its fun. Sure beats sitting at the range waiting to shoot. Plus it shows how well (or lack) you shoot under stress. Not all you targets stay still and neither do you

Banned
    Several local outfits push "tactical" in their name, and advertising. Sorry, I'm NOT going to buy from "Alamo Tactical" and I'm not going to train with "360 Tactical training". Buzz words meant to appeal to the ignorant in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    tapocketa, tapocketa. I liked the Danny Kaye version.

"tactical" has come to mean spending another 30 to 50 dollars for the application of $1 of flat black paint.

I thought Flat Dark Earth FDE was the new flat black
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have no problem with what they shoot or what they put on their guns. What get's me is the gun makers and shop owners that seem to have forgot about those of us that like classic sporting/hunting rifles.

Love Life
    I will say that some of the "tactical" training offered seems pretty legit. If anything it gets a person versed in weapons presentation and situational awareness. Now, that is the legit courses. Not the courses run by Joe "Call of Duty" dipstick up the road who just bought his 1st AR, black knee and elbow pads, and Oakley glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by clownbear69 View Post
    In the lines of "training" I do it and its fun. Sure beats sitting at the range waiting to shoot. Plus it shows how well (or lack) you shoot under stress. Not all you targets stay still and neither do you
    I shoot IDPA and it is fun! The picture in my Avatar is my carry gun and thats what I shoot/train with at IDPA. Anything that promotes the shooting sports I'm for within reason hence the link to the picture!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, saw a guy at the local indoor range. One black glove, black cargo pants, black t-short, black vest of some sort. Shot his AR with collapsible buttstock, vertical foregrip, and red dot. Yes, a 223 indoors at 25 yards. He also had a laser sight, easy to see the dot bouncing around down range. Total mall ninja. All he lacked was knee and elbow pads. Shot groups in the 3 inch range at 25 yards.

I laughed my butt off at him. He thought he was tacticool, I thought he was a poorly dressed bad shot.

Boolit Master

I personally don't really like the AR platform. I know they work well and are very accurate, but I used one for nearly 20 years and the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" is true. I prefer the old clunky M1A/M14 and my second choice is the M1 Garand. The .308 or 30-06 either one will do more damage at greater distances than the 5.56 ever thought about doing at the muzzle. If I really want to put the hurt on someone, I will drag out the 300 RUM. I don't need to be tactical with it, because around here if I can see it, it is in range.

All the fancy junk does not replace the ability to shoot. I have over the years P.Oed a lot of folks at the public range because I could shoot well with an old junk revolver or antique lever gun and they couldn't hit squat with all of their fancy weaponry.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    When I was in Iraq, we were getting new troops in and ran out of weapons. Our neighboring unit, a Natl Guard unit had a couple extra M-14's and full compliments to go with em. I was up on the patrol list and decided it would be fun to carry one of the borrowed m-14's. Yeah, that lasted for the week I was on patrol and that was it. I appreciated my M-4 very much after that. The M-14 was more fun to shoot, neater to look at and made everyone say it was neat, but carrying it in 120 degree heat was a bust.

The tacticool guys buy gun stuff and shoot ammo. Good enough for me. I do own and shoot AR's, but because they are a functional, accurate weapons that hold a lot of ammo. That and I don't care if I ding em or scratch em.

For home defense, my favorite weapon is a double barrel savage 10 gauge loaded with stiff 000 Buck. All I need and all anyone wants. If you are out of range, you probably aren't a threat.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Jeff Cooper lamented the prevalence of the *tactical* label in gun culture marketing probably 20 years ago.

There is nothing new under the sun...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I personally don't really like the AR platform. I know they work well and are very accurate, but I used one for nearly 20 years and the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" is true. I prefer the old clunky M1A/M14 and my second choice is the M1 Garand. The .308 or 30-06 either one will do more damage at greater distances than the 5.56 ever thought about doing at the muzzle. If I really want to put the hurt on someone, I will drag out the 300 RUM. I don't need to be tactical with it, because around here if I can see it, it is in range. Joe
    I have to agree with you.......... You do know of the AR10........ When you get old, you'll find out you can't see the excellent iron sights on those M1 & M1As when dusky conditions arrive. The flat top 30 caliber ARs with some of the optical wonders we have now solve that problem nicely.

Tactical is about one's actions, not one's objects.

There is not a tactical rifle, but one can be tactical with a rifle.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Back when I was younger being tack-cool was wearing my brothers BDU's and shooting my Grand, my M1A and my Hbar. Today I am old enough to wear whatever I like, but the modern Glocks and AR's are great as they are fully customizable by me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I am not interested in black guns at all, or even old wood military guns, but I see the tactical craze as comparable to older generations with their garands, springfields and mozins. Each to his own.
    Heck, we once could buy those things for cheap, order them from the ad on the back of the NRA magazine. I once traded an '03A3 and a '98 Mauser for an 1894 38-55 rifle. I felt I got the better deal....then.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

I wouldn't call my AR 10 tacticool, just works. Load 1 or 20 in the mag, floating barrel I didn't have to glass, built in picatinny rail to mount the scope, red dot or iron. No wood to scar, built in sling or bipod mount, well designed deer rifle by Stoner. Shoots as good as I can. Oh, yea, shoots cast or jacketed equally well. Yes, it cost 1/3 more than a good quality 3006 bolt action - but I don't like bolt action rifles. Did I mention I didn't have to pay someone to glass bed it and buy all the accessories for it?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    And don't forget about the TACTICOOL FINGER ,all mall and range ninjas and tactical advertisement models have to have that index finger extended along side the trigger guard , like it's been broken and splinted !

I think it is more of a "ain't I so tatcticool" gesture than it is a safety precaution, heck you still have room on the pistol grip for all the fingers and to those posers I have another digit I salute them with !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife