Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do in Decatur Alabama

If you pick something up from larry's he has a indoor pistol range,
    be sure to get a free pass. Across the river is swancreek WMA,
    they have a real good shooting range with various distances.
    I don't know why someone said crime is to worry about,
    most is the normal b on b, like everywhere else.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Sorry Rick, just poking fun.

It was hot and humid. They talked funny and ate funny food.

I think the south has some very positive things going for it.

If nothing else AL must be alright, it brought us Ben.
    What heat & humidity as I sit here soaking wet with something that isn't rain Apology accepted if that is was it was.

However you're dead wrong about our talking funny & eating funny food. I don't have the accent, you do! And I'll have you to know that I love my Grits & Collards.....just not together & not very often You'll have to admit that the best BBQ in the country comes from right here in Alabama! My wife will not let me stop at a BBQ Joint outside of Alabama (except for one in Bowling Green KY) cause she says that I'll just complain about how it's not as good as what we have here.

BTW, I'm not all that far from Ben although we've never met.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Love Life
    Throw the collard greens to the pigs? Oh, lawdy. Blasphemy if I ever heard it. Nothing quite as good as a pot of collards that have been cooked long and slow with some smoked ham hocks. Well, mustard greens are better!!

The best southern BBQ with a vinegar based sauce is the Washington Market located in Washington, GA. Mmmm, mmmm good. The worst "southern" BBQ is in North Carolina.

The resturants out here (Nevada) try so hard to cook southern food, and they do a bad job of it. That's why when mom visits I gain about 8 pounds. Let me know how you like the area as I'll be back in Huntsville come December.

Boolit Buddy

JC's is a good place to get powder and reloading supplies. Larry's is also a good place but I just remember primers being there and it is always crowded.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    JC's is a good place to get powder and reloading supplies.
    I thought that JC's had closed years ago.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master

The best southern BBQ with a vinegar based sauce is the Washington Market located in Washington, GA. Mmmm, mmmm good. The worst "southern" BBQ is in North Carolina.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

Now hold on there just gall darn a minute. It doesn't take an sophisticated palette to determine good BBQ from that scorched pig, and ruined beef smothered in spoiled apple cider. Tee Hee
    It's all in what your accustomed to. We can't all like the same thing, or there would be only one brand of everything. Been eating that NC BBQ for 71 years, and never had any bad, just some better than others.

Love Life
    I will admit that there were some "BBQ" joints in NC that served semi palatable pulled pork.

The best is still located in Washington, GA!

Boolit Master

OK, back to the original question "What to do in Decatur Alabama".

Are you Catholic? If so here are a couple places in the Cullman County area (just S of Decatur) you might be interested in.

http://olamshrine.com/about-the-shrine/

http://www.avemariagrotto.com/

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick N Bama View Post
    OK, back to the original question "What to do in Decatur Alabama".

Are you Catholic? If so here are a couple places in the Cullman County area (just S of Decatur) you might be interested in.

http://olamshrine.com/about-the-shrine/

http://www.avemariagrotto.com/

Rick

Rick...organized religion and me don't/won't mix. Vinegar based BBQ from NC is about as bad as here in AL.....vinegar is awesome , but should be left out of BBQ !.
    The motel I'm in is on 6th & Johnston...Gibson's is but a short ride . I've passed it but did not realize it was so well known and apparently so good. It's on my checklist for sure.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master
    Yep, gotta hit up Larry's in Huntsville. The Space and Rocket center is also really neat. Jack Daniels is cool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    Gibson's is but a short ride . I've passed it but did not realize it was so well known and apparently so good. It's on my checklist for sure.
    I've not been to Gibson's in many years, but the last time I was there the Chicken was great. The CEO is Chris Lilly that you may have seen on BBQ Pitmasters.

Rick

Rick

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick N Bama View Post
    I thought that JC's had closed years ago.

Rick
    No. They just moved from their location on University Drive to Jordan Lane.

As far as Decatur goes, there is a JC's there too.

Boolit Buddy

Here is a little list to help you out as far as gun shops and sporting goods. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...2&ved=0CDUQtQM

I can't vouch for them all, but as everyone has said Larry's is great and has an indoor range.
    * The Man Cave on highway 431 has all kinds of sporting goods and clothing, but the last time I was up that way they were a tad pricey.
    * Be sure to check out American Pride Firearms, they used to do a lot of custom work, and was a full process gunsmiths shop, including blueing. They also used to have a lot of collectible firearms.
    * Gander Mountain north of Huntsville on 431.
    * There's also a place there called Vintage Firearms, but the last time I was there which has been about 5 years, it was more like a Pawn Shop, but that's not necisarrily a bad thing, as a lot of our pawn shops quite often has a large selection of firearms at times, and you might luck up on something at a good deal that the owner is less knowledgeable on.

If you enjoy fishing, camping, or boating google Guntersville which is south of Huntsville. Lots of camping areas on the water, and also boat rentals, from flat bottoms to pontoon boats.

Also, someone had asked about the heat and humidity. Well, so far this year we have had an unusual summer. We've not had any hot weather yet. Matter of fact, due to several storms in the gulf we've been seeing some very low temps for this year. Lots of rain, but lower temps.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty's Retired View Post

Also, someone had asked about the heat and humidity. Well, so far this year we have had an unusual summer. We've not had any hot weather yet. Matter of fact, due to several storms in the gulf we've been seeing some very low temps for this year. Lots of rain, but lower temps.
    Per the weather folks the 90's are returning tomorrow & then we'll have a normal August, or at least what's left of it.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick, compared to the rest of the country we in the Midwest have no accent.

I suppose food is what we are used to. My wife grew up with grits and okra, not so much for me. My father in law is from NY but he married a southern girl and his stomach never left the south.

Now I live in Nebraska, a place with cold, snowy winters and hot, humid summers. Not so smart, are we? At least we have huge amounts of open spaces and very few people.

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems some were horribly offended by my comment regarding Alabama and cute cousins.

It was intended purely in jest. Sorry if offended someone.

I can hardly wait for those from IL and CA to demand apologies too.........

Love Life
    Dang Btroj. People should hear what is said about the residents of West Virginia!

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't say it, you might get a PM!

I suppose those of us in NE are of sufficient self confidence to laugh at ourselves. Must be the corn fed beef.

Love Life
    Naw. It's the hormones in the beef.

Boolit Grand Master
    Aaahhhhh