Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: badly neglected mold tune up

Boolit Buddy

badly neglected mold tune up

I put it in my rotary tumbler for about an hour:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0217[1].jpg   IMG_0197[1].jpg  
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    I presume the first pic is "after" and the second "before," rather than the normal sequence. That's pretty impressive! What is your tumbling media?

Boolit Buddy
    Stainless pins, Dawn, and a 1/2tsp of Lemishine
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

That is impressive! Did you remove the pins? How did the other half turn out?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    That is impressive! Did you remove the pins? How did the other half turn out?
    nope, just threw the whole thing in the tumbler (took off the sprue plate)
    The other half turned out just as nice.
    this thing works like a charm now!
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Very pretty! But now is it going to cast a "fin" all the way around the boolit, due to the peening of the cavity edges?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Very pretty! But now is it going to cast a "fin" all the way around the boolit, due to the peening of the cavity edges?
    I was a little worried about that, but so far it works great!
    - Abraham Lincoln

Moderator Emeritus

gofastman,
    The SS pins sure did a nice job !
    thanks for sharing the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I would have thought the same, til, I got this older, well used "Hensley" mold. When I first examined it closely and seen all the wear and nicks in the cavity edges, I thought it'd cast large ugly fins. But obviously, it takes quite a bit of wear to to make a large fin, as you can see by the samples cast with it in the second photo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Hey John,

Is that a Geo Hensley #9 mold? I've really enjoyed mine, there's just something about the type 3 wadcutter in the .38 case that looks right.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

This thread alone is reason enough to get the SS pins I've put off. I have 2 molds from eBay that i'd be ashamed to have shown. Neither cost a lot, and both are beyond use as received. If they clean up that good, the pins will be paid for.
    Thanks for sharing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Hey John,
    Is that a Geo Hensley #9 mold? I've really enjoyed mine, there's just something about the type 3 wadcutter in the .38 case that looks right.
    I'm not sure what the #9 mold is. I posted more photo's in another thread and texasflyboy commented it as an "early Hensley" mold.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uld&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    This thread alone is reason enough to get the SS pins I've put off. I have 2 molds from eBay that i'd be ashamed to have shown. Neither cost a lot, and both are beyond use as received. If they clean up that good, the pins will be paid for.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Be careful when doing this with Aluminum molds! it doesnt get them as clean and shiny as this brass one turned out, and it also can leave little pits all over the mold if you tumble it for too long!
    If you decide to do it anyway, I'd urge you to check it at least every 30 min of tumbling.

That said, yeah, SS pins are great
    - Abraham Lincoln