Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Made some Ben's Red yesterday.

Boolit Bub

Made some Ben's Red yesterday.

Actually I'm not sure that it (at least my batch) should not be called "Ben's Magenta" or perhaps "Ben's Burgundy".

It's quite a bit softer then the Carnauba Red I've been using for a while now or even LBT Blue. As soon as either my Star or RCBS sizer runs out of the lube they currently have I'll give it a try. Until then 6 sticks sit in the freezer, in a gallon bag and wrapped in wax paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7919.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	76751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7932.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	76752

My molds were a little crude. I just might have to work on that.

In Remembrance

That's the color I got with my batch. I coat my lube moulds with cooking spray or WD 40 before each pour to make removal easier. Best way is to melt in a microwave and pour into the lubesizer.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run to you make that batch? How much was your yield? Looking into making some myself here shortly once my BAC runs out. (Just pan lubing).

Boolit Bub
    I wish I could tell you. However in the interests of deniability I very carefully do not remember how much all the stuff cost. That way if the finical manager asks I can tell her "Gee I don't know honey. It's just some stuff I picked up here and there".

All joking aside. The Bees Wax cost me $7.9x a pound at the local candle store (I bought 2lb and used 1.5*). I think the LS&T #2 cost about $7-8 at the local O'Rileys Auto Parts. The JPW was about the same. The STP and ATF? Don't remember at all. However if I buy another pound of beeswax and another tube of LS&T I have enough of the other components to make at least one more batch. I'll run out of JPW first.

Yield? I have at least 2 maybe 3 more batches left in the melting pot (also bought at the candle store). Call it 18-24 sticks, minimum. It could be more, I'll probably try and pore the rest of the sticks this weekend.

*http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/w...stance/beeswax 24oz WEIGHT of beeswax = 23.94 fld oz. Of course this will vary depending on the batch of beeswax but I made the simple assumption that this was close enough.

This does (in my case) make a very soft, very sticky/tacky lube. Maybe in the dead of winter I'll have to use a lube heater. Not even close to needing one now. The lube also has a very strong engine oil/STP smell.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ted

As I've mentioned here before, if you feel your lube is a bit soft, simply add a slightly higher % of Beeswax next time.

Ben

Boolit Bub
    Thank you. I do understand that and was not complaining. More of a comment in general. Living in the Central Sierra Foothills we do get days of 100+ but most days that I shoot are in the upper 90's at most, much hotter then that and going to range for lunch tends to lose its appeal.

This batch will probably do. If I find, after trying it, that I do want it a bit less soft I may add a ounce or two to the mix. I suppose I could also hit the candle shop and see if they have any Carnauba wax and remelt the whole (if you will forgive the expression) shooting match and add it to that.

An oz, maybe 2, at the most of Carnauba wax I would guess, from what I have read.

I have found that 10% Carnuaba wax is about the maximum addition to a lube. Anymore in a rifle will build up too much in the barrel and cause fliers, handguns I don't know. You already have some Carnuaba in the mix from the Johnson's Paste Wax. I'd try more bees wax first as Ben suggest........

Boolit Bub
    Seeing as Ben developed the mix, and undoubtedly has more experience with it and lubes in general then I do. I would be a fool to discount his advice.

But first I'll try it as it is.

Ted

Boolit Master
    I made a batch awhile back, mine turned out just like yours.
    I'm up here in Norcal as well, gotta love the heat. I added a bit more bees wax to stiffen it up just a tad.
    Going to the range in the morning to see how it goes.
    I don't have one of them fancy lube sizers so I lube by hand, a bit slower but it works for now.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the range, my new loads did not do well.
    However the lube did great, bore cleaned up with just a couple patches and not a sign of lead
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    This does (in my case) make a very soft, very sticky/tacky lube. Maybe in the dead of winter I'll have to use a lube heater. Not even close to needing one now. The lube also has a very strong engine oil/STP smell.
    You wont need one in the dead of winter.
    I tried the carnuba wax in my first btch, and it was too stiff.
    My latest batch I took 1 stick which weighed 1.8oz and added 5% more beeswax, which comes out to 65gr of beeswax.
    Luckily i had someone tell me how much, as math was a very bad subject for me.

Now one thing I have noticed, as i've made like 6 or 7 batches to date, if you melt your R&T fully to a liquidous state, remove from heat, melt JPW and STP and simmer for a bit then melt beeswax and add to R&T, it will come out darker. But it will also be more slick, more tacky as compared to taking everything and throwing it in a pot and melting together.
    So you can if wanted, throw everything into a pot and melt slowly, and it will come out less slick and tacky. But I haven't tried comparing test shots between to different ways of making Bens Red.