MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lessons I've learned from vegetable soup.

Boolit Master

Lessons I've learned from vegetable soup.

I've taken a few days off from the site to do a little thinking and to have a little family time. My parents celebrated their 67th wedding anniversary Sunday and I wanted to spend some time with them. I'm going in for some serious spinal surgery in two weeks and I have some loose ends to wrap up in both my business and personal life. And I've been involved in an acrimonious debate with a member here over a topic that I thought was put to rest in 1865.

Last week my wife made a great batch of vegetable soup. All fresh vegetables, some from the grocery, some from our garden, some from my parent's garden, and some from the local farmers market. The delicate flavor of the yellow summer squash, the tang of the purple onion, the slightly sweet flavor of the red and yellow peppers, the hearty flavor of the kale, the texture and body of the potatoes, combined with the fresh tomatoes, zucchini and the green beans all blended together to make a soup that is rich and and delicious. While I love all of the vegetables individually, the combination of flavors is superb.

My wife did most of the work (I've been under my Doctor's orders to stay off my feet as much as possible) but I did prep the green beans. Even though they were freshly picked, as anyone who preps fresh green beans knows, even the best batch has a few bad beans that need to be discarded, and even the worst batch has a few good beans worth keeping. A person needs to look closely and exercise judgment to separate the good from the bad.

Last night we had some and as I enjoyed my second bowl I realized that the soup was very much like my life and the people that have helped shape me to become the person I am today. My lineage includes German, Scotch, Irish, English, and native American blood. I was raised in a Protestant family but most of my childhood playmates were Catholic. My best friend in high school was black, and the meals I ate at his house made me appreciate "soul food".

When I got my first real job the best lathe operator I've ever known was a black man, and he shared tips and techniques with me about running a lathe that I still use today. When I went to college to get my first degree I learned calculus from a Chinese man and chemistry from a Latino woman. My current engineering colleagues include people of both sexes whose parents and grandparents hail from every continent and many religious traditions. The food at faculty buffets is varied and fabulous.

As any intelligent person who lives in the real world knows, not every member of any race is good, and not all members of any race is bad. Just as with green beans, one must look closely and exercise judgment to separate the good from the bad.

I have room in my mind for many ideas, and room in my life for many people. But I have no tolerance for, nor will I give any quarter to racists and bigots. They are a slow poison that breeds divisiveness and discord. They drive people apart - they almost drove me away from this site and all the friends I have made here. It took me a couple of days to realize that this is exactly what people such as this want to have happen. But I will not let them do this to me. I will fight them.

This is what our enemies want, to see us fight among ourselves. They need do nothing but wait and watch as we destroy ourselves. As we man the battle lines to protect our 2nd Amendment freedoms we need all the help we can get. If the man to my right is brown and speaks Spanish but believes in the American dream I want him there. If the woman on my left is black and wants to maintain her right to own a gun to protect her family I want her there. If the man behind me has yellow skin and came here to find freedom and will step up when I fall I want him there.

I realize that it is fruitless to argue with racists and bigots as their minds are closed. But there are other ways. Today I took one step - I donated every penny of profit I have made in the last six months from the sales I have made to members here to the International Programs and Services office at the University where I work. Right now we have students from 78 countries taking classes here at the University; I hope my donation helps to bring more students here to get an education at an American University, where they can be exposed to the best of American culture and values.

I love this site, but I have noticed with regret that as the number of members grows we seem to get more and more people here that do very little to support the site or advance the art of bullet casting. They seem to regard this site primarily as a place to argue politics. There is nothing wrong with a good spirited debate over the merits of candidate A vs candidate B, or whether this policy or that policy is the best way to deal with a social problem. But some people are just trolls, bomb throwers and drive by shooters, whose words advance nothing but hatred.

I came here to learn more about casting bullets. I never realized how much I could learn from vegetable soup.

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    I love this site, but I have noticed with regret that as the number of members grows we seem to get more and more people here that do very little to support the site or advance the art of bullet casting.
    The chaff among the wheat.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Last week my wife made a great batch of vegetable soup. All fresh vegetables, some from the grocery, some from our garden, some from my parent's garden, and some from the local farmers market. The delicate flavor of the yellow summer squash, the tang of the purple onion, the slightly sweet flavor of the red and yellow peppers, the hearty flavor of the kale, the texture and body of the potatoes, combined with the fresh tomatoes, zucchini and the green beans all blended together to make a soup that is rich and and delicious. While I love all of the vegetables individually, the combination of flavors is superb.
    OK, Now I'm drooling !!! sounds just delightful

I'm going in for some serious spinal surgery in two weeks and I have some loose ends to wrap up in both my business and personal life. And I've been involved in an acrimonious debate with a member here over a topic that I thought was put to rest in 1865.
    I wish you the best of luck and will send a prayer up for you.

AND,
    I agree with everything else you posted in the OP.
    Jon

PS, dang I should of ordered some more Top punches...I guess it'll have to wait til you recover.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Excellent manifesto. And good luck with your surgery.

Vendor Sponsor

Very well said indeed...

We have red clay here, nothing likes to grow in it but trees and weeds. It was a lot of work but we (meaning *I*) built some raised beds, filled them with an engineered topsoil mix, amended that with composted horse manure, and we grow some really good stuff, from blackberries and strawberries, to the best heirloom tomatoes, and garlic. Love the garlic. It's a lot of work, and it must be good work since the squirrels are willing to risk life and limb to penetrate the 100% enclosed caged/netted walk-in area that the tomatoes grow in. I don' t mind nature taking care of it's own, but squirrels won't just take what they need, they will take a silver dollar sized piece out of every single tomato in the garden, leaving none unmolested.

I can wade through a lot of chaff, I can let it fall off my back like water coming down on a duck. When I discover in a person that they are only about themselves, and think only for themselves, and only interact with others or think of others when it is seen that the other person has something that they "need" that steers me right then and there to a path of avoidance. I'm not above anybody enough to pass judgement, so I won't. But I can sure take the next exit and continue my journey..

I wish you luck in your procedures. Today is a Tuesday, but to me it's the last "Saturday" for a while, later in the week I have to start radiation and chemo, they already took my lower teeth so now I can't even enjoy a 'mater sammich from the garden, but soup is a wonderful thing in and of itself. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Praying for the best regarding your surgery, and that soup sounds delicious.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy

I wish you well with your impending surgery. It sure doesn't sound like fun.

Boolit Master
    So, how long will it be before you can pick up a mould? See, I've already got it figured out that your surgery, recovery and therapy are all going to go just fine - just gotta work through it. We have [a different] home made soup every Wednesday for supper and usually finish it off on the weekend.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

A prayer for a good outcome, and a rapid recovery.
    Take care.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    --Thomas Jefferson

May the blessings be...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

in Remebrance
    Perfessor, I pray that your procedure will be successful and the healing will be uneventful. I'm in the recovery phase of fusion of L4, 5, and S1 using hardware rather than bone back in May. Every day brings a small amount of progress over the day before. Just do exactly what your doctor and therapists tell you and don't push the limits, you'll do fine. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    May God bless your surgery and your recovery. I look forward to hearing from you when it's over. There are only a few members whose posts I actively look for, and you are among them.
    Paul

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=theperfessor;2306388]I love this site..... But some people are just trolls, bomb throwers and drive by shooters, whose words advance nothing but hatred.
    QUOTE]

Unfortunate, but true, even here. I have learned to say little here and consider everything I might say through the lens of "is this really important to say and is it worth exposing myself to the retorts of small minded, inconsiderate, rude and insensitive members" A shame, but it is what it is.

Wishing you well in your medical procedure.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Olevern;2306711]
    I love this site..... But some people are just trolls, bomb throwers and drive by shooters, whose words advance nothing but hatred.
    QUOTE]

Unfortunate, but true, even here. I have learned to say little here and consider everything I might say through the lens of "is this really important to say and is it worth exposing myself to the retorts of small minded, inconsiderate, rude and insensitive members" A shame, but it is what it is.

Wishing you well in your medical procedure.
    If it needs saying---say it---if somebody don't like it---tough!! Racists and bigots are broken folk who will die alone and unloved! While they are here I just ignore them. Those who are here to contribute and learn far outweigh the trolls.

Prefessor---well said sir! Good luck with your pending surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Our congratulations to your parents!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    May you have a very speedy recovery, sir.

God definitely knew what he was doing when he gave my wife her soup making ability.

You are not wrong. As Americans, we much stand as one or else those who want to divide us will surely win.
    Last edited by 462; 07-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Get more better as my grandson would say.
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keith, sometimes when a person wishes to make a damn fool of their self, we just have to stand back and let them do it. I must say, there are a few here who ably demonstrate exactly who and what they are. If they saw themselves as others do, they may think before disrupting the electrons upon the screen.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    That was one of the wisest posts I have ever read. I wish everyone would learn fom that vegetable soup, sadly many seem to prefer tomato.

Get well soon perfesspr, the world and this site need far more people who think like you. Ever let the trolls and morons win.

Boolit Master
    My prayers are with you and I pray for a speedy recovery. Amazing how many of us are dealing with back surgery as of now. Aug 5 I am scheduled for another one also. Yup, nothing like veggie soup!
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The OP is without a doubt one of the finest examples of the written word I have ever read.

Perfessor, you already know my thoughts, just know that we are rooting for you, and that there are many of us who understand the physical hardships.

Rock on 'Teach.