WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lubing cases

Boolit Buddy

Lubing cases

Anyone found a better way of lubricating cases, other than using that gooey pad? cases in question are 45/70 fl resize.........steg

Make your own spray lube. Heat dry gas and lanolin. Spray it on , wait 30 seconds and start sizing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use lots of the Hornady Unique lube in a tub. A bit on the fingers as you pick up a case. Quick and easy.
    I havent used a lube pad in 15 years or more. I don't know if I even have one around any more.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Redding sizing die wax for small batches or neck sizing. I use Dillon spray lube for larger batches. Probably the same thing as altheating described in his reply. I still have a lube pad, but it's not used much, anymore. Lightman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I use Redding sizing die wax for small batches or neck sizing. I use Dillon spray lube for larger batches. Probably the same thing as altheating described in his reply. I still have a lube pad, but it's not used much, anymore. Lightman
    Same here, and I use the sizing wax for case forming. I use the Imperial, but it's sold by Redding anyways. I don't use the spray on 30-06 though, I've had problems with it. Odd, but true. 308, 30-40 Krag, 300 Win Mag are no problem. 30-06? Too many stuck cases, and in 3 different FL dies at that.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'm a believer in Unique sizing wax or Mink Oil.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I've been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax for the last 20 years, on most rifle cases. But the 223 that goes through the big Dillon gets the Dillon squirt spray Lanolin in alcohol.

Redding bought out Imperial.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Another vote for Hornady's Unique sizing wax on bottlenecked cases. Have never stuck one. (Knock wood!)
    I use Hornady One Shot spray on pistol brass before running thru the Dillon. Doesn't really need it, but makes the process run smoother.

Boolit Master

I am sold on Hornady 50007. It comes in about a six oz. bottle. ($4.99). I used 1 1/2 oz. and lubed close to 2000 cases. 30-06, 308, 223 and 30-30. It is non-sticky and a super lube. I prefer it over RCBS and Lee case lube.

Boolit Master

I use Hornady one-shot for rifle and pistol, have for years.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I use one of three or four lubes - depending on the size of the case and the temperature.

I apply these with my fingers.

Small cases - 50/50 mix of paraffin and Vaseline.

Neat's-foot oil.

Anhydrous lanolin. (sometimes mixed with neat's-foot oil)

Super Lube

Easy enough to try one or two with the case at hand and compare the ease of sizing.

When I tried Imperial after using anhydrous lanolin I was greatly disappointed.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master

I used alcohol and lanolin in a spray bottle and it worked quite well. The last time I was doing 5 gallon bucket loads of .223/5.56 I cheated. I decap and wash my brass before sizing so I took clean brass and put it in container with a lid. I put in a dap of vegetable oil and shook to coat the brass. Nary a stuck case. Yes, handling the brass is oily but it is clean and I wash my hands a lot anyway.

I washed the brass again with Dawn and a little lemon juice which cleaned off the oil and took care of the tarnish. I followed up with a vibratory case cleaner with ground walnut and a table spoon of Turtle Zip Wash for cars. The brass came out very polished and with a thin waxy coat on the brass. I've left some brass out to oxidize/tarnish and the thin film seems to be keeping the brass shiny like new.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy

I have heard that the hornadys spray lube likes to stick cases is this true I haven't ever used the stuff

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advise guys...steg

Boolit Grand Master

I've used Hornady One Shot in the past, and had no problem. I've read lots of complaints about it, and I think most of them come from not waiting long enough after spraying it for it to dry. I did have a few cans loose their charge, and that did not make me happy! I also heard about problems with it freezing, in cold climates. Hope this little bit of info helps, Lightman

Boolit Master

I haven't had problems with the Hornady One Shot either. You do have to let it sit for a couple of minutes. Just follow the directions and it works.

But, I have had several problems with the Lyman spray case lube.

Boolit Master

I tumble mine in a dedicated Thumler. Put in a kidney-bean size blob of Alemite CD-2 (tells you how long I've been doing it this way! Still on the first can - doesn't take much), smear it around, dump in 50 or so -06 cases, tumble for 20 minutes, dump into Cool-Whip bowl, and have at it. No need for this w/pistol cases - all carbide sizers there.
    I used to use a rock polisher to clean and lubricate cases (w/different 1-lb coffee cans), but gave it away when I got the bigger tumblers.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Imperial

Three 44s

Redding Imperial Sizing Wax is the only way to go.
    μολών λαβέ