Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my new 91/30

Boolit Master

so what's the best way to redo the stock linseed oil or tung oil ?
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have a nice one that was not counterbored and I can shoot 3 inch 100 yard groups all day long.

I remember a conversation I had with a friend not too long ago. It went something like this, "Do you think those Mosin's will ever be worth anything?
    Na, I think they will always be a 150 dollar gun. There is just too many of them."

Well, I guess they are now 200 dollar guns all of the sudden. I remember when K-98's were just junk military rifles that could be had for 100--Enfields as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I took a chance and ordered one from Aim Surplus a couple of days ago, and it'll be just shy of $165 once I pay the FFL fee (and yah I did the "hand pick" option too..). So it's still a $148 gun (right now anyway).. but boy am I excited. I heard once you start you get addicted....

What Came: Arsenal Refurb 1942 Izhevsk (round) receiver, Izhevsk Bolt with a Tula "safety" bolt, all reserialized at the refurb, matching refurb S/Ns. Nice looking stock, bore came pretty much out completely clean (shiny) after about 200 patch passes with three different cleaners and about 30 with the brass brush. Counterbored, but with really strong rifling. "Dime a Dozen" but should become a decent shooter. As advertised but not any more than that... Should be fun... about what I expected.

I'm still excited about it.
    Last edited by w0fms; 05-23-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Update #2

Boolit Master
    Clean out that chamber area real really good. Completely disassemble and clean including the stock. I have a few and one time when I was shooting I was wearing cosmoline that had drip down, also really bad sticky bolt syndrome. Other ones were fine

In reference to getting cosmoline off the stock, I first use Murphy's oil soap and very hot water. Then put in the oven when the wife is out. Set it to 200* and leave the door open a little. What's soaked into the wood will come the surface and can be wiped off. Then another bath with Murphy's. Keep an eye on it wile it is in the oven to be sure that the wood does not get to hot. I've done this with many stocks and had good luck with it.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?