RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Went for a walk

Boolit Master

Went for a walk

Today is my day off and I needed to have my mechanic do some work on my car. It is about two miles from home and I decided to walk instead of having someone drive me. This is the result of two miles of city street and one freeway off ramp.

If you just can't find lead anywhere where you live, go for a walk.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    i bet very few of those are lead,

but i hear ya for taking a walk to find weights.
    Last edited by Andrew Mason; 05-06-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    hello.

Boolit Master

I sorted them already. It is about 2/3 lead, one steel WW and the rest zinc.

I think that it has been a long time since anyone picked up WWs on that road and this probably represents about as dense a concentration as could be found on any road. The libtard's claim of bazillions of WWs falling off of wheels is false.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Man
    Started walking 7-10 miles twice a week through the neighborhood and along some high traffic roads...average about 1# of usable lead from all I find, and about 27-cents in loose change. WW go in the bucket, change into a piggy-bank...

Problem now is my pants don't seem to fit and I ran out of holes in my belt....

Boolit Buddy
    Hey IIJSavoy..PM coming your way about your location.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    i have been doing this for several months now, today i walked 4 miles and got about 1.5 pounds of LEAD WW's. problem is i walk everyday and i choose different routes but now my routes are starting to dry up because i find them faster than they fall off wheels. here are some helpful hints to finding road wheel weights
    1. intersection will always have a higher abundance of them. especially the ones around grocery stores, walmarts, etc.
    2. look for Pieces of the lead not just the whole weight. alot of times the lead breaks loose from the clip after cars drive over it repeatedly.
    3. look in the cracks in the road around intersections and around gas stations, after they fall onto the road the street sweepers push them into the cracks and they stay they for a long time.
    4. know where the tire shops are in your walking path and go thru the ENTIRE parking lot and look for ww's.
    5. Bring a pocket knife or small flat screwdriver to pry up the weights embedded in the asphalt.
    6. any shoulders where it is dirt and not a concrete curb are great honey holes, just take your time and look hard and there will be alot of WW's and alot of Coins.

the best part is you get some good exercise and before you know it you are walking alot further than you expected. (because now you have a purpose...)

Boolit Grand Master

Twenty some years ago, my Son and I used to cycle to the flea market about 26 miles up the interstate. We'd stop at each exit and walk, collecting WW as we walked. There were 6 exits on each side and the round trip would yield 6-15 lbs of weights. At that time it was all lead and a worthwhile outing. Now there are more lookers and the danger is greater. That coupled with the Fe and ZN, its hardly worth the effort.
    I envy those able to walk for the exercise, and bringing home WWs is a real bonus.

Boolit Buddy
    I do that when riding my bike on the city streets. I need to get a new pair of glasses, though - because last week when I returned and dumped my pocket out I had a nice granite stone amongst the wheel weights. I thought it felt kinda light when I picked it up.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks down.

Boolit Master

Looks like you may need some kinda fanny pack to carry your load with. That might get kinda heavy in the hand.

Boolit Master

This is one of the results of tire shops re-using wheel weights!

They fall off much easier and more often. The good side is, you can find them and pick them up!

Handy info.
    Exercise +weight lifting + Recycling + Cleaning up the environment!
    The Libs should absolutely love you guys!
    No Excreta Taures

Boolit Master
    With all the lousy, potholed, rough-patched, washboarded roads around here; you'd think there would be hundreds of pounds of wheelweights laying about.

Seems all I ever pickup is the all too familiar nail, machine screw, steel shard, drywall screw etc. that allows me the pride to keep replacing ruined tires. How they always find the sidewalls; I don't know.
    Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IIJSavoy View Post
    Started walking 7-10 miles twice a week through the neighborhood and along some high traffic roads...average about 1# of usable lead from all I find, and about 27-cents in loose change. WW go in the bucket, change into a piggy-bank...

Problem now is my pants don't seem to fit and I ran out of holes in my belt....
    Plz send me your old belt, I've run out of holes in mine too but in the wrong direction!!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I do the same thing !!!. I often will pull off and walk the shoulders of busy intersections and find a couple of handfuls. Where people slow down or stop is where I find the most. I'm assuming the WW is loose on the rim, but at a higher speed, the centrifical force keeps them on. When they slow or come to a stop .... they slip off the rim and lay there waiting to no longer be a WW orphan to be picked up by us.
    I have on occasion drove along wondering how many millions of orphan WW's there are in the grassy medians along the highway ...... I got the casting bug bad I think ......
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Buddy
    I pulled my truck over a few weeks ago at an intersection because I saw the biggest WW ever. it was 7 oz. I thought it was lead but after several attempts to melt it, it was zinc.I think I have a problem. can anyone recommend a casting therapist?

Boolit Buddy
    I could walk for days out here and not find one WW.....hub caps, maybe. Some road kills, and maybe an illegal or two.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Boolit Bub
    After reading this thread the other day, I was walking down the street and it hit me to look down... so I did. In the roughly 1/2 mi I walked I picked up enough wheel weights (all lead) that I couldn't hold them in one hand. A big bonus was a big battery cable end/clamp...

I'd walk the streets more often if I didn't live 10 mi from town. I'm definitely going to start looking down more often...