MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Doctor

Drill Doctor

Anyone using one and how's it working out for you?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Man
    i have 3. have used them daily in my machine shop. they make my life MUCH easier

otter

got one,had it about a year, should of had it 20 years ago.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master

Bought one when they first came out years ago. Seemed to work OK on smaller bits, but not so well on anything over 1/4". Haven't used it in years.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

I have two for my crews to use and they work like a champ. Worth every penny spent.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I love mine
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Sharpen mine by hand with a gauge, faster and better results. Once you learn how to do it, it's easy.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Im going to go with the two fellers that are not to impressed with it. I can do pretty well off hand but I also have a Sterling that does a fine job.

Boolit Master

Not sure why everyone loves them so much I was not very impressed with mine and I tried everything to make it work right, does ok I guess but I have a small dedicated grinder with a guide and using a gauge I get as good or better results by hand and it's a lot quicker and easier.

Banned
    I ended up making my bits worse with mine lol! Never could get it to work in my favor.

Boolit Bub

Couldn't get mine to work either, its on my list to give it another try, so many people love them so I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Boolit Bub

Glad to see I'm not alone tho! ^^^^^^^

Love mine. Sharpened 100s of harbor freight bits before sharpening my snap on bits even did my 5/8 & 3/4 bits have the pro model. Nothing but good results. Still haven't changed the wheel.

Boolit Master

Got one as a Christmas gift. Piece of junk! I have always sharpened by hand and by eye.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the basic model works great for me. But i think that if you have a dedicated grinder with the proper tool guide and rest it would be faster. I think the one with the ability to but a back grind or what ever you call it that reduces the drag on the back side of the bit would be better than the basic tool.

Boolit Master

i just finished drilling nine holes in a fairly thick steel top to mount some equipment in my shop. I used my Drill Doctor several times to freshen up my bits. I don't doubt that someone with experience can do a great job by eye and by hand. I simply cannot. I have tried and I seem to be challenged in that area. Without my Drill Doctor I'd be in a heap of trouble drilling holes in steel or wood either for that matter. I recommend someone who cannot sharpen by hand to give one a try.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

My brother has one at his farm and loves it. Unless Dad or I stop by then he asks us to sharpen his bits for him. Machine shop where I started out ( age 15) had a contarct to sharpen bits for a plastics / fiberglass plant down the road. They brought them in in 5 gallon buckets 1/4" - 2" 4 flutes were the norm. Alot of practice there. After 35 years being a journeyman tool and die maker I just use a pedistal grinder by hand. Dad after 40 years does the same. All it takes is practice and a good teacher. The big thing to the back rake on drills over 3/8 is doing it so it thins the web also. In one interview I was ask to sharpen a drill bit. It was one of the "basic skills" we were taught first off.

Love mine. Have had it for 12+ years. It paid for itself on the first job I had it on and is still going strong. I sharpen all the sizes up to 3/4" (you really have to stay ahead on the larger sizes - otherwise they take a long time to resharpen). Wouldn't be without it.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Works good for me. I sharpen solid carbide drills on it on a regular basis. Have the model that does up to 3/4". I can sharpen them on a bench grinder no problem but the consistancy is still better with the DD.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    1/4" - 2" 4 flutes were the norm.

4 flute drill bits? I have seen 4 flute auger drills for wood but didn't know there was a 4 flute drill for metal, I bet those things are a real bear to sharpen and get all the flutes cutting.