MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: AR in 7-08?

AR in 7-08?

DPMS used to make a carbine length 7-08 but evidently has dropped it. Anyone know of a drop in bbl maker/supplier? Any suggestions on mold (150-170 gr), twist or loads. Just shoot paper for fun & practice so I don't super match custom bbl.
    Whatever!

Ar10 style, bigger gun than standard ar15. If going with the larger frame I figure the 308 is better, its available in243 also.

Boolit Grand Master

Douglas may have something reasonable in their line up. Will be an AR10 in 7 08 but a 7 mm tcu could be done on an AR 15 probably. Look at the barrel makers web sites they will show the countors available and calibes twist rates for same.

I have a spare 308 flattop upper, want to go to the 7-08. I've checked several barrel manufacturers, they are talking $500 for a HS'd bbl, so I can get whatever I want, just not sure what works best for cast. Another $150 for mould & die set. No interest in 243 for me.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the Remington R-25. It comes in 243, 7mm-08, and 308.

Popper,

I'd choose the mold weight according to you barrel twist. From my experience, 7mm barrels with 1/9.5" will shoot the Lyman 160 grain 287641 well, but a 1/10" won't. (That's at modest speeds of perhaps 1400-1600 fps. No chrono to verify.) Pushing the boolit faster might get a 1/10" barreled gun to shoot better. Same seems to hold true for 'J'-words in the same guns. The 1/9.5" likes 150 gain spitzers like nobody's business, the 1/10" only likes 140 grains.

I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

UBER7MM thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I suspect a 140-150 gr LFN is all the heavier I can get in a 7mm, but I would like to try to push it to 2K.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Do you have your heart set on a 7mm-08? If you can get whatever you want then why not a .338Federal or a 358Win? Both would work with cast without to much of an issue. DPMS also makes the .260Rem.

Local range is restricted to less than 30 cal, has been for year & 1/2. 7mm gets me close to 308, maybe higher performance if I want.
    Whatever!