MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: AR-15 handguard question

Boolit Master

AR-15 handguard question

Didn't know if this goes here or in the military rifle section, but here goes.

Question is, will a DPMS or other brand free floating handguard thread onto a Yankee Hill barrel nut? I have issues with the YH which they refuse to acknowledge. I'd like to replace it without removing the barrel from the upper if possible. I have the tools and know how, just don't know how many times the upper can take r&r's.

The YH handguard is not threaded properly on the reciever end. When installing, it wobbles a bit, and when situated, the rail is pointed downward slightly. My barrel is square with the upper reciever, the handguard is definately threaded off center. I have talked to a company rep who insisted I must have installed the barrel nut cross-threaded. Funny, I think I would have had more trouble doing that, since I used only my two fingers to run it down!
    It's difficult to even tell when looking at it, but I know it's there and it bugs me. Also the front sight has to be adjusted up to compensate. The defect is perfectly in the vertical plane, and I suspect the part was not secure in their fixture when the work was done.
    Last edited by wallenba; 05-03-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    MI (Midwest Industries) tubes will thread onto the YHM barrel nut.
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00184.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	69216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00185.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	69217Here are two pics showing the gap around the barrel and endcap. Note that the small gap is on top in the normal position. Then, it's on the bottom when rotated 180 degrees. If the barrel nut were on crossthreaded, as the Yankee Hill rep asserts, the gap would always be at the same place. Later today I will be loaned another YH handguard to test. If I'm wrong about it, I'll own up to it.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00188.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	69222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00189.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	69223OK, the other handguard is on, and it looks like... I AM RIGHT! Here are two more pics showing the other handguard concentric about the barrel. The flutes can distort it a bit, but compare to the extreme gap differences in the other pics. Now, all I have to do is get the Yankee Hill boys to look at this and accept it.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, your handguard is definitely outta whack! YHM is a reputable company and they SHOULD make this right for ya. Hope they do.
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonazz View Post
    Yep, your handguard is definitely outta whack! YHM is a reputable company and they SHOULD make this right for ya. Hope they do.
    I waited too long to call them today, but I went to the website to check on some things. Their warranty page is here http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=4 At the bottom they say they have a 'no questions asked policy'. Yet they give you only 30 days to return an unused product, and state no refunds after 15 days. And when I first called some time ago, they asked questions and went into denial mode. I'll try again tomorrow. I purchased this one through Midway so maybe Larry P. can help.

Update: 5/3/13 Called Yankee Hill, They advised to call Midway. Midway will accept return for refund or exchange. I bought the 'loaner' handguard.

All's well with the world.
    Last edited by wallenba; 05-03-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.