MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Canada

Oh Canada

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130420_114842.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	67982 if you want some 22 at normal prices, go to Canada!
    do unto others................

Yeah, I can't help but think that your "shortages" in the USA are not really shortages at all ...
    The local shop where I used to work before I retired 2 years ago put in an order for Federal ammo recently and they got about an 85% fill rate quite promptly, only a few weeks later as a matter of fact. This was all shipped out of two nearby wholesaler's warehouses and it was all "on hand and in stock". There have been some shortages on 9mm, etc., but in most cases up here in the land of "ice & snow" we can pretty much get what we want and when we want it. There are available stocks of powder, primers, brass, reloading equipment, and most calibres of ammo are on the retail shelves up here. Sounds to me like we're in WAY better shape than you are when it comes to availability ... and although there have been some nominal increases in prices (mostly due to rising costs of lead, copper, etc. for the manufacturers) I'd say that our retail prices are only up about 5% to 10% at the worst. Go figure ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned

the price of lead and copper are both down.
    we don't have an availability issue we have a supply issue.
    everything supplied is bought.

I just bought 3 bricks (525) of Fed 22lr at Canadian tire for $25.75 each. What is this shortage you speak of?
    Check this out:
    https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...f-22-lr-combo/

And this;
    http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produc...roductid=74819
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Funny you mention it, I am going to be going to Cabellas in Canada, I have an order waiting for me up there of primers and some bullets. There is the PITA of the forms with the BATF that I am dealing with to bring it back across the border, since I am not a FFL, but that hopefully will be cleared up and approved soon. With what I am buying, I should be set for a good while, but it's nuts to think that I have to go out of the country to get items that are made here and shipped there, as well as their known issues with guns up there compared to here. Kinda amazing, but hey, I don't care, a 7 hour (each way) drive and I am GTG. I'll just take my bike up there and make it a nice ride to start the season. Now if only it would FINALLY warm up up here, and the stupid snow would go away.... Grrr.
    Last edited by alha; 04-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.

+1 for Canadian tire. Forms.......what forms??!!
    do unto others................

Hehe yeah, but I don't want a very expensive pile of stuff confiscated at the border, plus whatever other ramifications may arise from trying to 'smuggle' that type of contraband into the US, especially with everyone so touchy after what happened in Boston. Probably enough to ruin a persons day, I'd suspect.

Boolit Grand Master

Just to emphasize this point, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE ALL PISTOL AMMO FROM YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE REACHING THE BORDER. Unless, of course, you have always been curious about what the inside of a Canadian jail looks like. They have no sense of humor on this point.

We have been fortunate here! With the excption of the fact that winter has not even started to go away! Primers are now and since the "drought" started down south $34.99 a thousand , And powders have not changed in price or availability. As a matter of fact there are a couple of places that are currently holding sales to reduce current inventory before the new stock arrives! For Canada I think that 12 lb steel kegs of 4759 for $150.00 , 8 lb of 2400 for $110.00 , unique in 8 lb'ers $122.00, The Actual Canadian made 4227 8 lbs for $110.00, 5 lb of Blue dot for $65.00 . We seem to be doing alright ( for now )!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm planning a gopher shooting expedition this spring in Alberta. Although I will be using a flintlock mainly, I'll pick up some .22 just on general purposes while I'm up there. I have a PAL, so is no problem for me.
    And it is still snowing here, too. Had to knock some weight off of my green house this morning.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm planning a gopher shooting expedition this spring in Alberta. Although I will be using a flintlock mainly, I'll pick up some .22 just on general purposes while I'm up there. I have a PAL, so is no problem for me.
    And it is still snowing here, too. Had to knock some weight off of my green house this morning.
    I thought everyone needed the latest ultra death magnum and million round magazines to hunt gophers? At least thats what the magazines tell us.

Boolit Master
    Any of you Ontario guys know of reloading supply places in Sault St. Marie, or maybe Sarnia or Windsor? I'm about four hours from them, but it might be worth a spring drive. Besides, I've had a Canadian $20 in my wallet for entirely too long.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I thought everyone needed the latest ultra death magnum and million round magazines to hunt gophers? At least thats what the magazines tell us.
    I'm a bit of a Ludite. Last time I went up, I killed a few hundred with a flint lock, until my hands got too sore to load anymore. Then went to the .22.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm a bit of a Ludite. Last time I went up, I killed a few hundred with a flint lock, until my hands got too sore to load anymore. Then went to the .22.
    A true Ludite would have used a long bow - fewer moving parts.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    A true Ludite would have used a long bow - fewer moving parts.
    I have done that before, I have a higher kill rate with the flinter!

Just to emphasize this point, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE ALL PISTOL AMMO FROM YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE REACHING THE BORDER. Unless, of course, you have always been curious about what the inside of a Canadian jail looks like. They have no sense of humor on this point.
    Just curious, you mean going into Canada from the US, or going back to the US from Canada? I didn't plan on bringing any ammo with me at all, either way, I just planned on going up there and getting the components. What is the deal with pistol ammo? Is it against the law to own up in Canada? Or just import/export?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alha View Post
    Just curious, you mean going into Canada from the US, or going back to the US from Canada? I didn't plan on bringing any ammo with me at all, either way, I just planned on going up there and getting the components. What is the deal with pistol ammo? Is it against the law to own up in Canada? Or just import/export?
    Going to Canada.
    Homeland security does not allow export of even 1 .22 rimfire round in your floormats.
    The Canadian Boarder security do not bother with ammo but have a real issue with gun owners that do not have the proper Canadian paperwork.
    For more information on importing firearms and ammo into Canada while on a visit or on they way to Alaska call 1 800-731-4000.
    Call your local batf/homeland security people to get the proper export permits from the U.S.

Free trade with Canada and the "open boarder" is simply a lie started by politicians.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Amen to the lies of free trade! As for a supply issue, the shops I frequent in Alberta are out of Hodgdon and other powders, bullet supplies are drying up. I'm not sure we've got it that easy here in the great white North...

Well, at least they appear to just now be drying up, they have been a desert here for quite some time now. Hence the road trip, which I really don't mind, since I am going to be doing it on my bike. 12-13 hours will just fly by..

Boolit Buddy
    This is not true. Remove the word "AMMO" from the above quote in caps and the statement is correct. Leave your pistols at home. No restrictions on owning pistol ammo up here.