RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser WOWser

Moderator Emeritus

Mauser WOWser

I've posted photos of these two custom Mausers before. Both were made by a friend of mine, Mausers are his hobby, he needed $$$ and I helped him out. both of these are 257 Robt and the the wavy maple stock was all shaped and finished by hand.

He mentioned to me at the last Hutchinson gunshow (sept 2012) we worked at, he always has a table next to mine, that he bought a old used stock duplicating machine. He told me is was kind of complicated and was hoping he will be able to figure it out.

I never gave it much thought since then ...til he called me today and wanted to borrow the wavy maple stock (shown below) to use as guide to cut a few. I asked if he was gettin into the biz...He said YEP, doing it full time...he has sold several on flea-bay. seller ID: "inthe*10ring"

while he mostly does Mausers, he does lots of other stocks also, and if you have one for a guide (cracked or whatever), he can duplicate it. I have no financial interest, he is a friend of mine and is trustworthy.

Belgian receiver, custom barrel chambered for 257 roberts
    Attachment 265109

Loewe German 98 receiver, custom barrel chambered for 257 roberts
    Attachment 265110
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-22-2020 at 09:15 AM. Reason: updated photos, cursed photobucket
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Hey those are kinda nice. he can reproduce about any thing huh.

Boolit Master

WOW!!! I like that curly Maple alot!!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

All very nice!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Any idea what the straight grained stock is? IT kind of reminds me of ash or maybe hickory.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by grubbylabs View Post
    Hey those are kinda nice. he can reproduce about any thing huh.
    Yes, that's how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Any idea what the straight grained stock is? IT kind of reminds me of ash or maybe hickory.
    Robert
    well, I kinda thought it was black walnut, but I sure could be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    Has this guy ever made reproductions of military type stocks?
    If so a repro stock to restore a bubba'ed Swede or Argy carbine might come in handy.

Even reproducing the end of the fore arm to repair a duffle cut or sportered military stock while using whatever remained of the original stock would be nice.

The rifle in the lower photo does not appear to have barrel band. Possibly the upper rifle also does not. Are these free-floated carbines?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Has this guy ever made reproductions of military type stocks? If so a repro stock to restore a bubba'ed Swede or Argy carbine might come in handy.
    Even reproducing the end of the fore arm to repair a duffle cut or sportered military stock while using whatever remained of the original stock would be nice.
    He told me he has made about 100 stocks with this machine in the last year since he got it. about 28 were auctioned on flea-bay. I can't say if he has duplicated a original military design yet, but I'm sure he could. I think his talents are geared toward custom. He can cut anything he has a guide for...or a guide you provide. a guide being a existing complete stock.
    I'm not sure if he could or would do a partial stock/forend of a full stock.

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    The rifle in the lower photo does not appear to have barrel band. Possibly the upper rifle also does not. Are these free-floated carbines?
    Both of my rifles are custom, with aftermarket barrels, both in 257 robt. The wavy maple has a Belgian receiver and the other has a German 98 receiver made in Loewe. yes free floated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Very nice, indeed. If I could offer a wee bit of criticism though- I would slim down the forearms a bit more in the future. In fact, for a full length stock to really work, and increase its elegance, the stock line from the floor plate forward to the nose cap should have an ever-so-slight concavity. That said, I wouldn't kick either one of these out of bed for eating crackers!

Boolit Master
    Very nice! Years ago I saw some pictures of a machine in a gunsmiths shop I think by name of Davenport, His work was outstanding and I studied those pictures for months and finally built one and boy does it work nice! I am remodeling mine again but It is nice to have the inletting done as well as the shaping. Long live the duplicators!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    gnoahh, I agree with you. The bottom gun is heading the right direction but both are nice. Mannlichers
    drive me almost nuts. I found to take a long metal yardstick and from the front of mag to tip of barrel get a arc in there at least 1\8 to 1\4 inch really helps.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Very nice, indeed. If I could offer a wee bit of criticism though- I would slim down the forearms a bit more in the future. In fact, for a full length stock to really work, and increase its elegance, the stock line from the floor plate forward to the nose cap should have an ever-so-slight concavity. That said, I wouldn't kick either one of these out of bed for eating crackers!
    Thanks for the info, I agree, I'll be passing along the info.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

Can he cut one for a 93 Mauser? I don't know if he is set up to do the drilling correctly. He'd at least want a template, I would think. Easily made if he can do that. I have wood and need a stock for my Chileano, but would also like a pistol grip. Should I contact him directly?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Wayne, PM sent.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disagree! The flaw with ordinary full-stock carbines is they are not free-floated nor capable of being floated. Try to tune them with forearm tension but not dependably, and it still varies with climate and barrel heat/expansion. These FS carbines should be capable of near-benchrest accuracy. I would pay *extra* for a stock like this, thicker and not requiring a barrel band.

On the aesthetics, beauty is as beauty does, and these gems look accurate. These are hunting rifles, and my eye is happy with a touch more "robust" and a touch less "graceful."

Don't change them to look like everyone else's. The forearm heft and clean straight lines are what sells these.

Boolit Master
    Man, i love those mannlicher's, he spent some time making them. i would love to have him make an M40 stock for me, but for a 98 mauser. that's my next project!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have to disagree with that.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-a-Mannlicher
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Waksupi, I have looked at those pics numerous times trying to learn something and they never get old. Super job on that gun. Most of my mannlichers as a whole seem heavy and bulky. Then I see a nice photo of one and it often says stock by Len Brownell (excuse misspelling). I am all ears to input of how to do this thing correctly.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Well, here's a pic of the classic form of a Mannlicher-Schoenauer along with one of the full stock Mausers in the OP for comparison. Pick the form that suits your eye. Mine prefers the original Mannlicher style. However the stock design, specifically the drop at comb of the older Mannlicher pictured, certainly favors the use of low mounted iron sights.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide