Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 rifle advice

Boolit Buddy

45-70 rifle advice

Over the past couple years I have collected a few boxes... of cast boolits in 45-70 in trades. The rifle has been on the "want to try list" for a long time but my 358win keeps getting all the love. I have spent a bunch of time over at Buds and am leaning toward the H&R short barrel but most of my boolits are 500gr. I like the short barrel for black bear on bait, the blinds can be tight. I really need a scope at this point in my life. Any ideas on any other brands or rifles under $450. Thanks for the input, and yes I used the search function.

A used Marlin 1895 if you can find one. Scout scope or red dot setup, well forward of your eye. I occasionally see them for less than $450, but they're getting rarer all the time.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go with the H&R. Even with those heavy boolits. It's a hunting machine and it doesn't get any simpler. Scoped with a low power scope and it's a dream to hunt with. 2x7 Burris, 4x Weaver -- can't go wrong.

Boolit Master
    I would go with h&r. Those rifles are as much fun as you can have with a gun. And remember that you can get shotgun barrels and rifled barrels for it and trade barrels with simple handtools.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the new stainless , thumb hole stock..Miss M says its the pretty rifle...still haven't shot it a years or so later..selling the cows and hay stuff, fenses etc.. Going to double the build on gun room/range/gun business...# 2 Concealed carry class for Florida out of state premit and hopefully ILLINOIS requirements..April 13 @ Thompsonville Il. Contact Steve Kalaher..618-663-5925..Registered Firearms Instructor (pepper Spray trainer also)..He will take extra time forpeople asking for it..I stepped back while he helped with Miss. M she haddent shot in 20 years or so..

Boolit Master
    No time limit on helping...!

Boolit Master

Hard to beat the H&R for price. 500 grainers will give a good recoil because they're light. A Marlin 1895 Guide Gun is a great gun too, you do have followup shots quicker, strong action, and the shorter models handle good and fast.

But, for the price, you could buy 2 H&R's and have a second caliber for something else.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the H&R with the short barrel and it lets you know that you have a gun when you touch it off. I personally can handle 400 gr bullets loaded to about 1400 fps in mine with out hurting myself. 500 gr I use a magnum recoil shield on my shoulder and I can shoot it all day long with loads up to about 1600 fps without a few shots is all I want to face. I keep it for one reason. For a hunting gun it is hard to beat for close in work. I have mine fit up with a Wiliam's FP receiver sight and it is fast and accurate to use

Boolit Buddy
    I do like the 1895's a lot but used rifles around here are in short supply. The H&R seems to fit my needs better. Interesting no other brands showed up. Thanks again for the advice.

Well your $450 cap sort of takes out the Ruger singleshots, T/C encore or even Bolt action conversions on SMLE/Enfield/Siamese Mausers. If you were a do it yourself kind of guy I would suggest a Mosin conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekTNJDHGB8

Boolit Master
    I saw a nice Marlin a couple weeks back at a G.S. for about 450 and not being a H&R fan, I'd sure wait for the Marlin if you can't spring for a RUGER #1 which would be my first choice!

TC would also be good.

Have handled some of the H&R or Handi rifles, and just couldn't bring myself to look any closer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    I do have soft spot for Ruger #1's. Still don't know what rifle, sooner or later it will find me.

Boolit Master

you can convert mosin to 45/70?

There is a nice rolling block on the site right now, bit more than you want to pay but it loves 500grains.
    I know this is self serving but what the hey!
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    you can convert mosin to 45/70?
    Yes, it's easy. But unless you do it yourself it'll bust the $450 budget.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Ruger made the #3 in 45-70. Might be cheaper than a #1.

Boolit Master
    Duelsport,

Yep, you are correct. However, I have a couple friends which had the "pleasure" of shooting a 45/70 in a RUGER #3 and as I recall the story, one shot each was MORE then enough!

I like the #3, but would want #1 wood on one if I had it! Takes a slight adjustment to the action lever, but not a really big thing.

After shooting my #1 - 45/70 with the factory irons, I suspect that some of the pain involved with the 45/70 in the #3 was due to the large amount of drop in the butt stock.

Then there is that hard and curved butt plate!!!!

With the low head position required for me to attempt to shoot the #1 - 45/70 with irons, it was a very abusive and PAINFULL!!!! experience.

Thankfully, I fully intended to scope the rifle, and with the higher head position needed for the scope use, the butt stock was no longer beating - PAINFULLY!!! - my face and cheek.

The pain was at the level that I wondered if I was "man enough" to shoot this rifle.

Sure glad the higher head position made the difference, as I really enjoy carrying and hunting with a #1 and the short and light and fast handling #1S - 45/70 with the 22" barrel is a delight in the woods, while a 465gr WFN cast is just so over the top awesome with taking BIG game.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I owned one of those 45-70 #3 rifles for a time. It really isn't a whole lot of fun to shoot. My current #1 is way nicer, but it has a 34 inch barrel on it. Kind of gets the noise away from your head.

-Nobade

Boolit Bub
    I enjoy shooting my 45/70's, Encore rifle and Contender pistol,I just don't load'em up with 'bone crushing' loads for fun shooting.
    Lot's of reduced loads in the forums here if you look around and the 45/70 works great with reduced loads.

You can always crank 'em back up for hunting.

Boolit Master

or leave them reduced since I imagine deer and pigs don't care how fast a .458 diameter chunk of lead is flying when they are hit with it.

By the way, if you really want an H&R call Boise Gun Co. They had one on their racks for a long time, I'm not sure if they still have it. But if they do it's been there for years without selling (it was there for years without selling when I saw it there every time I visited).

So might be open for price negotiation and they do lots of internet business and are thus set up for easy shipping.

Just another thought.

-S