Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Load-Master, .45 ACP

Boolit Grand Master
    LarryM:

Speed is nice in reloading, but if you have a system that you're using that meets your needs and you're comfortable with it, I say ..." Go for it ! ! " Good luck with your T-Mag II. You've got a good press.

Ben

I used a Load Master for about four years to load .45 ACP to feed my IPSC habit. Had chronic problems with case and primer feeders that others have described. I got the case feed working fairly well, but had to clean and lube it before every loading session.

The primer feed never worked well, inverted primers and high primers in about 12 to 14% of loads. Called Lee on several occasions and actually talked to Richard Lee himself....I was impressed that he actually manned the tech line occasionally. Never solved the problem, he kept telling me if I oriented the primers correctly in the tray they would feed properly 'cause the machine couldn't turn them over.

We finally had a pretty heated discussion of the merits of his design and he told me that I may be better off with a press from some other company. I took his advise....smart feller, that Richard Lee.

Jerry

Boolit Mold
    TO Larry M.
    I have 5 Dillon Presses. 4- 650's and one 550.
    They all have ABS ( Plastic) indexing pawls which a re easily broken
    and the worst problem is that the Dillon Powder measures have a + or - 1.5 grain limit on accuracy , according to the Dillon factory. I have spoken to them numerous times about the inability of a Dillon Powder measure to throw a charge better than + or - 1.5 grains of the set amount.
    Dillon has told me many times their powder measures cannot be made more accurate. This means that if you are loading a 10 grain powder charge, you might get 8.5 grains and you might get 11.5 grains..........or somewhere in between.

I have used all types of powders from Bullseye to Unique and numerous others. This lack of both accuracy and consistancy is just not acceptable to me and I feel it is a dangerous situation. I have stopped using ALL 5 of my Dillon progressive presses.

I have no interest in arguing about preferences of products nor to "bash" any one company, I am only passing along what Dillon has told me personally.

Your call, buy what makes you happy.

Banned

Ive had a load master and a pro 1000 and if anything the loadmaster was even more problem prone then the 1000. Everything in my shop is blue now. I guess if I had to prime and size in a seperate operation id be looking for another press as the reason i went to progressive presses was speed in the first place. I use to do it with case that required lube and then after sizing and priming id tumble but for about the last 5 years i usually just tumble the loaded rounds about a 1/2 hour and ive yet to have any problems doing it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Guys,
    What type of problems do ya'll have with your 1000's or loadmasters ? I have a 1000 here that has well over 150,000 rds through it with no real major problems other than operator error. I like it for pistol stuff but would not recomend it for anything riffle....
    Just my 2 cents
    Calvin

Regarding case feeder problems.....here is a vidieo that will help......JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5fuw9KaVA
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

i have a couple pro 1000s and 1 turret. the turret won't index for me lately. . . but i didn't have time to tinker with it. i'm sure its a small problem that is easily fixed.

the pro 1000s have worked well. my only complaint is that i have no room for a FCD and must do so on a single stage after i make my run of ammo. still pretty quick though.

i bought mine used and think they were totally worth it.

Boolit Master
    I would try a Lee progressive, in fact that is what I was looking for years ago more or less because of price. I've used a lot of Lee stuff and been pretty satisfied. Along came a Hornady Progressive at a really good price, like I said I would buy a Lee but I can't get my Hornady to stop.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Banned

cast off ive got 6 dillon presses. 5 square deals and a 550 and ive never found a problem with inconsistant powder charges unless i used a big flake powder anything like bullseye and ball powder and even powders as course as unique and herco run though it just fine. Only thing i find there measure lacking for is extruded powders like 4350 which to be honest i havent found a powder measure yet that worked with them. One trick to any progressive is to do the operation smoothly and the same every time. If you go easy one time and slam it the next you will get varitations in any progressive press. To not trust your dillon is kind of silly. I know people that load commercialy on 1050s with the same measures on them and if its safe enough for them to crank out ammo in this sue happy society i guess i can trust them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castoff View Post
    TO Larry M.
    I have 5 Dillon Presses. 4- 650's and one 550.
    They all have ABS ( Plastic) indexing pawls which a re easily broken
    and the worst problem is that the Dillon Powder measures have a + or - 1.5 grain limit on accuracy , according to the Dillon factory. I have spoken to them numerous times about the inability of a Dillon Powder measure to throw a charge better than + or - 1.5 grains of the set amount.
    Dillon has told me many times their powder measures cannot be made more accurate. This means that if you are loading a 10 grain powder charge, you might get 8.5 grains and you might get 11.5 grains..........or somewhere in between.

I have used all types of powders from Bullseye to Unique and numerous others. This lack of both accuracy and consistancy is just not acceptable to me and I feel it is a dangerous situation. I have stopped using ALL 5 of my Dillon progressive presses.

I have no interest in arguing about preferences of products nor to "bash" any one company, I am only passing along what Dillon has told me personally.

Your call, buy what makes you happy.

gents i believe i would try a loadmaster if i had room on my benches. i have always believed that the less you fiddle around with these progressive presses the better off you are. i have 7 lee 1000 presses on my benches and while i agree that you have to keep your eye on them as far as adjustment and clean goes i still would not trade them for anything else. iv had two in use since 1987 __45 acp and 38/357-- they still work fine. i use a dillon 550 for rifle only (11 sets of dies there). iv got a rockchucker and a rockchucker jr with the hornady lock and load bushings in them. i have 3 lyman turret presses i leave set up for one caliber or another. iv got two truline jr presses with 7/8 holes in the turrets that i havent decided what caliber to set them up with yet. if anyone has a truline jr and wants to convert it to the 7/8 dies i think iv still got the guys address who makes them---about 50 bucks apiece tho. i use the dillon moterized trimmer and have it mounted on a c-h press. i shoot cast bullets in all my weapons and use mostly alox for lube. altho iv got 5 sizers on the bench i use the lee push thru most. i keep 4 of them on a lyman all american press. i guess if anyone realy wants to get rid of a loadmaster i could help them out---allways room for another press
    charlie in sw mo
    charlie in sw mo

I'm a big Loadmaster fan. I have one, dedicated to 38 special. I usually sit down to crank out a batch of 200 to 300 rounds at a time, and with rare exception, I just add powder, make sure I have primers in the tray, and dump the cases in the sorter/feeder. Works every time. Takes me about 30 minutes to make a batch, and I'm off to the range.

Every once in a blue moon, I'll clean out the powder flakes from beneath the shell plate, and clean the primer shute. Other than that, she just keeps running like a top. Good machine.

Boolit Master
    Here is one Lee 1000 for 9 mm only. I got it from a friend "because it doesn´t work".

Well it has worked for me . Ammo is not premium quality ( there are tolerances for that I guess ) but it is acceptable. I´d like a fourth station, too. I use a Hornady progressive for more accurate work - and for some rifle calibers.

My friend may actually want his Lee 1000 back now , I just need to show him how to use this. I´ll probably get one for myself again, this is not bad at all. Also very fast, especially if you have someone else filling up the case tubes.

Boolit Buddy
    trickyasafox,
    There is a philips head screw at the base of the turret just above the ram. Turn it til the turret clicks into it's detent and the turret will be 'timed'.
    Calvin

I recently bought a Load Master. The biggest grief is the priming mechanism. I had bent, flipped sideways, etc, etc. The priming mechanism IS THE weakest link in the loading process. What I do now is remove all the dies except for the sizing and depriming die and remove the bolt to prevent from the lever from engaging the priming mechanism.

I know that this defeats the purpose but I do the sizing and depriming first on the press, then hand prime each casing then feed the primed cases into the press without the decapping pin and the priming mechanism.

In order for Lee to keep the Loadmaster in the market, Lee has to improve on the priming mechanism.

Just an added note----the bin that catches the loaded boolits---- that red bin could be purchased at a hardware store for for less than $15.00 for a 12!!!
    Last edited by largecaliberman; 08-29-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

I recently bought a Load Master. The biggest grief is the priming mechanism. I had bent, flipped sideways, etc, etc. The priming mechanism IS THE weakest link in the loading process. What I do now is remove all the dies except for the sizing and depriming die and remove the bolt to prevent from the lever from engaging the priming mechanism.

I know that this defeats the purpose but I do the sizing and depriming first on the press, then hand prime each casing then feed the primed cases into the press without the decapping pin and the priming mechanism.

In order for Lee to keep the Loadmaster in the market, Lee has to improve on the priming mechanism.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

38-55 I think thats on the pro-1000s. . . the screw that indexes the shell plate? on the turret its a bit different, you have to loosen a screw towards the back, and i know i have it over tightened now. i'll play with it come thanksgiving when i home on break

thanks for looking out for me!