RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Paper Patch Breach Seated Shooting

Boolit Bub

Paper Patch Breach Seated Shooting

Hello to all those who can teach me,

I have had good success Breach Seating a Falling Block Works Model J chambered in 32/40. I have dabbled around a bit with PP in that rifle and a Uberti Hi Wall in 38/55. In 45/70, I have stayed with traditional cast boolits and smokeless powders. You just cannot tackle everything at once. To make matters worse, I just picked up a Remington XR-100 with a 27' Bartlein barrel with a 8 twist chambered in 300 Blackout. That should make an interesting cast boolit shooter. The supplies are located and ordered, and I am just waiting on the mail order houses to catch up and ship.

Too many projects and not enough time.

Anyway, it seems that I could simplify the load column and neck tension issues by breach seating a PP Boolit. Plus, it really turns heads at the range. Don McDowell of this forum commented once that Maj. Ned Roberts spoke highly of it in his book. My question is which one? On Amazon.com, I found three: The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle, Breech Loading the Single Shot Rifle, and Maj. Ned Roberts and the Schuetzen Rifle. There may be other authors of equally informative books. I really don't want to accumulate a library here, just a good definitive read on the subject. Can anyone refer me to a good one?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

Boolit Bub
    OK, I have read Maj Ned Roberts book on the Schuetzen Rifle and found it very interesting and informative.

He talks about shaking the case to settle the powder, but does not talk about compression. He seated a cardboard wad on top of the powder and seated the bullet 1/16" ahead of the case mouth. Wiping between shots eliminated the need for any other fouling control.

He had quite a number of concoctions for lubricant/fouling control with GG boolits using some ingredients that are no longer available. He really stressed the importance of finding the right lube in the search for accuracy.

He reported that duplex loading with different granulations of BP and later with semi smokeless and smokeless powders virtually did away with fouling allowing 20 to 30 shots.

I am going to a friends shop tomorrow to fashion a breech seater for my Uberti Hi Wall in 38/55. I hope to get to the range in a few weeks.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

Boolit Master

I would think that it would rather difficult to breechseat a paper patch boolit. Maybe if you wiped some lube of some type on the paper patch just before you seated it might help. Build a strong one with plenty of leverage and be sure to report back on this project inquiring minds want to know how things worked out.

RB

Boolit Master
    I was breech seating paper patched bullets at the range this morning. I used a CSA 1885 in .38-55. The cases were charged with 59gr of Goex Express FFg and topped with a 0.030" veg king wad. I breech seated an elliptical bullet patched to bore. The bullet, and a 0.030" LDPE wad ( to help with gas cutting ) were inserted into my breech seater tool and seated just ahead of the chamber. No lube was used anywhere. Other than the breech seater tool nothing was done differently than shooting PP bullets seated into the case.

Accuracy was OK, just under 1.4 moa at 100m for ten shots. I suspect that my 20:1 alloy might be a bit soft for this bullet's nose.

EDIT: I should add that the only reason I was breech seating these PP bullets is that my rifle was chambered poorly ( not done by CSA, but a local gunsmith who wasn't as skilled as I was led to believe ). The chamber is cut off centre so I seated the bullets out past the majority of the chamber.

Chris.

GL, a buddy had a barrel rechambered from 308 to 3006, and the smith did the base off center, like it was not centered in his lathe at all, one side leaves a big shoulder, the other side is smooth.

Was you gun chambered in Paddockwood?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    It was chambered in Vancouver.

Chris.