RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sluging a Smith & Wesson 9mm Luger. Mod.5946

Boolit Buddy

Question Sluging a Smith & Wesson 9mm Luger. Mod.5946

1. Drove a lead egg sinker through the bbl. after giving the barrel a coat of oil.
    2. Cut a strip of aluminum from an Aldi's diet cola can.
    3. Using 2 different mics, a. is a Harbor Freight digital & b. an old worn Starrett, both checked for zero. I determined the thickness of the strip of aluminum to be .0038". The mics agreed.
    4. I wrapped the strip around the slug and holding the ends tight around it with parallel pliers I took several measurements with both mics a. & b.
    5. I totaled and averaged the measurements from each mic, a. = .35784" & b. = .35988 Do you see where this is going?
    6.I subtracted twice the thickness (.0038"x 2 = .0076") of the aluminum strip from each of the above average diameters. The slug (groove diameter) from a. is .35024" and from b. is .35228"

Every time I read a thread about 9mm and leading I see recommendations for using .357" and even .359" boolits.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BARREL?? I must have gotten it wet and it shrank.

Something went wrong. I cannot believe my groove diameter is that small.

Brooks

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Boolit Master
    Why don't you pound your egg sinker in from the chamber end and just start it into the barrel, then knock it back out to the rear. Measure it in front of the chamber before you get the groove marks and go with that. Less math, better results.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Why don't you pound your egg sinker in from the chamber end and just start it into the barrel, then knock it back out to the rear. Measure it in front of the chamber before you get the groove marks and go with that. Less math, better results.
    That would give me the chamber throat but would not give me the barrel diameter.
    Brooks

Boolit Master
    Yupp.
    Rule 303

Boolit Bub
    If you want the barrel measurement, I have just driven the slug through the whole way. Then measure it directly. I've not ever wrapped any aluminum around the slug to measure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut49b View Post
    If you want the barrel measurement, I have just driven the slug through the whole way. Then measure it directly. I've not ever wrapped any aluminum around the slug to measure.
    I have a S&W 3913 and 5906 and have been trying to measure after slugging my barrels, but due to the odd number of grooves, you can't do a direct measurement.

Boolit Master

I suspect the slug was not completely filling the bore and is thus smaller than the bore.

When I slug the barrel of a 35 caliber handgun I start with a 35 caliber bullet cast of soft lead and carefully selected for a minimum diameter exceeding .360.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I suspect the slug was not completely filling the bore and is thus smaller than the bore.

When I slug the barrel of a 35 caliber handgun I start with a 35 caliber bullet cast of soft lead and carefully selected for a minimum diameter exceeding .360.
    Here is the lead that sheared off when I drove the sinker through the S&W barrel. What do you think? 9mm case for size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	64325

Brooks

I've checked the 2 Smith 9mm barrels and they both ran small. I haven't got my notes in front of me but I think just under .355. I use a .356 Lee sizer with good results.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bgokk View Post
    Here is the lead that sheared off when I drove the sinker through the S&W barrel. What do you think? 9mm case for size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	64325

Brooks
    I think my theory was not correct.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Mucho work for no meaningful information. The groove diameter of your barrel is .354 - .355. Size your bullets .358 and worry no more. No sense making this stuff so complex when there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Question: How are you able to make the slug a particular size, as mentioned above? Do you sand down the sizing die or what?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim..47 View Post
    Question: How are you able to make the slug a particular size, as mentioned above? Do you sand down the sizing die or what?
    I am not sure what you are asking.
    The slug is an over size piece of soft lead (larger in dia. than the groove dia. of the barrel being slugged) which is driven through the barrel.
    Slugging is done to establish the groove dia. of your barrel to get the right size (dia.) boolit (+.001 or .002) to avoid gas cutting and leading.

Brooks

Jim , He poured lead in a 9mm case and cut the slug out. I took a block of steel and did several helical endmill bores to make slugs about .008" over my different calibers. The empty case method is a good one and easier to make.
    I think the op may have gotten the slug tipped when it was shaving lead at the beginning. It probably made the od too small then. I've had that happen when using a hammer. I now use a press for a nice even ,steady pressure(+lots of grease),my slugs come out great. Try again, this time about 3/4" from the end try to "fatten" the slug back up by putting a brass/copper rod up into the other end to crush the slug a little, then resume pushing the rest of the way out.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Mucho work for no meaningful information. The groove diameter of your barrel is .354 - .355. Size your bullets .358 and worry no more. No sense making this stuff so complex when there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
    We gained interaction!
    I am not yet loading boolits for the 9mm. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row so I may avoid some of the 9mm pitfalls.

I just could not understand how I got the very small groove dia. I actually slugged the barrel again using a ML round ball and came up with the same number.

I will, when I start loading for 9mm be using .358".

Brooks

The problem with just picking a number is that many barrels that are on the "small" size also won't chamber the oversize boolits. I have three barrels right now that won't chamber any lead slug that is bigger than J=word sizes. Then the other barrels will chamber .003" oversize. That's why I prefer to slug.

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the explaination 40 Super

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    why can't you just take a lead boolit, then tap it on the nose with a hammer? do it carefully and the boolit OD will expand 0.05 ~ 0.10 just right for a slug

I have yet to encounter a 9mm firearm that won't chamber and fire a round with a .358 bullet. This includes a dozen or more us and euro handguns and a couple of sub-guns.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

My XDm 9 and a Storm Lake NM 9mm conversion for my XDm40. Both slug at .3555 and a .357bullet barely fits. .358 will jam 70% of the time. It IS because they won't chamber a .358 bullet and not any other reason. My other barrel is a 45, that is tight also.