MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1885 replicas

Boolit Master

Uberti 1885 replicas

Does anyone have a low or high wall replica by Uberti? If so, what do you think of them?
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I have the Highwall 45-70. I am not like a lot of fellas here that have the $$$$$$$$$ to get one of those fine made in USA rifles.
    I like my rifle very much. It was put together nicely, fit and finish is very nice. The load that these fellas here on the forum helped me work up shoot great with the charcoal. I have one target that has one raged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards, using the CHEAP David Pedersoli mid range sight.
    Don McDowell, Kenny, Rick, Montana Charlie are all well established men on the forum with the black powder rifles. There ARE a lot more shooters here, so you will not have any problem with input. All that being said, the first four are NOT big fans of the Pasta Rifles.
    One of the members had a lot of trouble with his Cimarron 38-55. I believe it was Buckshot. Correct me Buckshot if I am wrong.
    Reguards
    Jack

Boolit Master

I've had my Uberti .38-55 Highwall for three or four years with no complaints. Fit and finish are every bit as good as my Pedersoli RB and yesterday...Lee Shaver sights, shooting off cross-sticks...I put ten consecutive rounds inside a 2"x2" sighter square @ 100M.

There once was a long 'sticky', initiated by Buckshot, on the topic but I don't seem to be able to locate it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I've had my Uberti .38-55 Highwall for three or four years with no complaints. Fit and finish are every bit as good as my Pedersoli RB and yesterday...Lee Shaver sights, shooting off cross-sticks...I put ten consecutive rounds inside a 2"x2" sighter square @ 100M.

There once was a long 'sticky', initiated by Buckshot, on the topic but I don't seem to be able to locate it.

Bill
    Sounds like some decent shooting to me. I looked for the sticky or thread and couldn't find it either. Thanks.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I have the Highwall 45-70. I am not like a lot of fellas here that have the $$$$$$$$$ to get one of those fine made in USA rifles.
    I like my rifle very much. It was put together nicely, fit and finish is very nice. The load that these fellas here on the forum helped me work up shoot great with the charcoal. I have one target that has one raged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards, using the CHEAP David Pedersoli mid range sight.
    One of the members had a lot of trouble with his Cimarron 38-55. I believe it was Buckshot. Correct me Buckshot if I am wrong.
    Reguards
    Jack
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the answer.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I had a 38-55 with the double set triggers. It was not a bad gun, but for the money of a brand new one I'ld sure be chasing down one of the recent Winchester/Miroku's.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti Hiwall in 38-55 which I bought from Jon K several years ago. It has a Lee Shaver tang sight. I love it. I own several single shot rifles and if it came to pass that I had to give up all but one it would be most difficult to pass on this one.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti High Wall in 38-55 and a Winchester (Japan) BPCR in 45-70..........The Uberti shoots like a Benchrest gun. Amazing accuracy. I never got the Winchester to shoot worth a darn. I have 6 other 45-70 rifles that are all acceptable to extremely accurate. Just never could get the Winny to cooperate!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    This was the sticky thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=uberti+1885

I had a single trigger version of the rifle and am satisfied with it. Buckshot bought the double set trigger version and had problems with it.

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Own 2 Uberti HiWalls: 45-70 and 38-55 DST - shoot all black powder reloads
    * 45-70 shoots accurately to 1000yds using a vernier rear sight
    * 38-55 shoots accurately to 500m using the Ideal 375166 bullet

Here's the stock on the 38-55:
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

John Boy, that is some nice wood.
    I would have liked to have gotten the pistol grip stock like yours when I bought mine, but there was none on the rack. I will have to be on the lookout for one floating around.

I have an Uberti 1885 in 45-70. The firing pin is slightly off center, and combined with a weak mainspring the gun would fail to fire every other time - Strangely the seller never mentioned this little problem - The mainspring is made from piano wire and putting a bend on it cured the problem. Other than that it's a nice rifle.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    This was the sticky thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=uberti+1885

I had a single trigger version of the rifle and am satisfied with it. Buckshot bought the double set trigger version and had problems with it.

-ktw
    Thanks...that is very helpful.

Edd

Boolit Master

I have one in 30-40 Krag I got from a member here. 30" bbl, single trigger, nice wood. It is a good shooter & turns heads when it comes out of the case. The only fault was a heavy trigger, but not all that hard to fix. I do wish someone made a single set one for them. I added Lee Shaver front globe & his midrange soule rear sights. Mine likes 200 gr pp'ed. Planning on working up a light gallery load this year with a 311410 only cuz it's the lightest 30 cal mould I have.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master
    John Boy, I think it would be a grand gesture on your part or as the French would say, la beau geste if you would trade your Uberti butt stock for mine. After all it is common knowledge that well figured wood is much less stable than straight wood which sadly leads to poor accuracy. Also when you consider that I am a Korean War vet, almost homeless waif and all around nice guy, you must ask yourself, why not? I should add that another sandy might hit at anytime and blow your beautiful rifle over into NEW YORK CITY.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Well guys you've convinced me to go ahead with ordering the Uberti Low Wall I've been looking at. I decided to get a Low Wall in 38-40...just because ...

I really don't need a larger caliber as I have more than enough BIG rifles to set my shoulder back for years, but I dearly love the Winchester 1885 design so I'm gonna take the leap. Thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated.

I love my Uberti Hi wall. Cal .45-70. Bought it from a pawn shop for $600 and it shows only slight signs of use. Still working up a good handload for it but it does well with the various factory loads I've used.

I have 2 Umberti highwalls a 40/65 and a 45/70 they both shoot 1" at 100yds.The wood is outstanding on both,but not up to Johnboys. The 45/70 has a tang sight rear and globe front,the 40/65 has my MVA scope on it.I like the 40/65 and the 45/70 is going up for sale.They are about the finest rifles for the buck I have run across.

Badgerredd, do think about the .38-55 option. When loaded to a cast lead friendly 1400'ish fps muzzle velocity the round generates a very mild recoil. Especially in a heavy single shot rifle.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master

I had one of their Highwalls a few years ago, mounted a Soule tang sight, and found it to be one of the best paper patch boolit shooters I have ever had.