Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: evilBay lives up to its' nickname

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, and that wouldn't really apply when it is shipping based on a calculator that they automatically stick on listings, I might not have had such a problem with it if said calculator were at least CLOSE to having been accurate, it was off by almost 50% shipping cost over $20 more than their calculation(same shipper), then they come back wanting a cut?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    I strongly suspect that one of the reasons eBay went to charging shipping was because unscrupulous sellers were trying to get around paying fees by doing Buy It Now sales where they were selling a $50 item, that would have cost $5 to ship, by listing the item for $5 with shipping for $50.

Boolit Buddy
    As stated, didn't have a problem with making money, commission fees, it's when they cost due to inaccurate calculation that I didn't ask for, then also wanted a cut of the shipping that they did nothing for that I got riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I have used Ecraze, aka evilbay, aka ebay, forever. It's a forum just like this one. It's purpose is to provide a market place for the world. However, it is incorporated to produce a profit for its investors, unlike this one. It's free enterprise--vote with your money. I have used it for close to 20 years and have used Paypal. Have been frustrated by both of them several times, but for the most part, satisfied with the service provided. I have bought and sold many things on there. I find a lot of humor, such as a $39.99 used Lee mold selling for $113.00. Gotta laugh at myself, sometimes for some of the bonehead things I have done. Still, for what they are, I will continue to use them both. Just like paying consignment fee to a store owner, or a "finders" fee.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhuntfever View Post
    I almost always ask the seller if they will take a Postal Money order before I bid. Takes longer and more trouble but I would rather not get into PayPal at this time.
    I did that too, for well over two years, before I knuckled under and opened a Paypal account. Will probably do it again when I see something in the "flea market" line from a small seller. What they will never get back is any business that I can do on Amazon or the like. Being in the sticks means that I buy stuff as common as packing tape online, because there's no such thing as a Staples within an hour's drive of me. Small machinist tools, books, auto parts, specialty fasteners, all kinds of stuff that I used to get by going to a store when I lived near a major city, I now buy online or do without. I'm on a first name basis with my UPS and FedEx drivers, as well as my postmaster. evilBay will never get that business back from me. And that's the business they say they want. (WSJ article a couple of years ago.) Arthritis or not, my fingers will punch a few more keys to use Amazon, McMaster-Carr, Barnes & Noble, Enco and NAPA. My grandkids will think I'm nuts, but I'm not going to put up with being pushed around by that lot. It's reminding me of when the railroad monopolies were squeezing midwestern farmers into bankruptcy in the late 1800s. No, I'm not quite THAT old, but unlike kids today I pick my own history books to read. evilBay has competition. As long as there is any, I'm going to take my business there.

BTW the "security" claims of Paypal are a crock. My CC issuer runs very good pattern recognition software that has in the last few years caught every false charge on my CC long before I did. And there have been a couple. Paypal does nothing by standing between my CC company and my sellers. Paypal is just a rent-seeking scheme to enhance the profits of evilBay, and as of now they are acting as an unregulated bank. Time to dry 'em up. Not that closing my account will make the slightest bit of difference to them, but it will to me.

/rant off

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    I strongly suspect that one of the reasons eBay went to charging shipping was because unscrupulous sellers were trying to get around paying fees by doing Buy It Now sales where they were selling a $50 item, that would have cost $5 to ship, by listing the item for $5 with shipping for $50.
    I think Alan is exactly right...I remember when that was "all the rage". Now that I think about it, I don't see that anymore!
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

I recently closed my Bill Me Later account in PayPal. When they first offered it there was some incentive that made it attractive, so I signed up. I don't use Ebay or PayPal much anymore, but I did use it in December for a couple of purchases. There was money in the PP account and I figured the balance would come out of my checking account like normal. What I didn't realize was that even though I didn't specify it, the payment defaulted to BML and I got a notice the other day that I was behind on my payments. Totally my fault for not paying attention to the details. Paid the tab, including the $27 in late fees, called and had a "customer service" representative close the BML portion of the account so it could never happen again. BTW, she couldn't have given a $#!+ less about the mistake, made no apologetic noises or offers to try to retain my business. Just told me she'd closed it and said goodbye.
    Like someone else said, part of life's tuition.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Master
    they didn't do that to me till I hit $15large. I just got their stupid credit card. I only use it when I have money in the paypal and pay it with that money. No way am I going to link my bank account. If you don't want the CC, just open a local free checking account and leave the minimum in it. you can still pay with other means.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Paypal did the above to me as well,, what I saw with their demand of submission to their constantly changing rules was soon apparent after a bit of reflection: the mark of the beast. "Will not be able to buy or sell without bowing to the beast."
    Mock me if you will but money has been at the root of the evil that infests us all and while we are continually being coerced into repeated assaults on what should be our private business the beast marches on demanding yet another submission and I will not assist the beast of the pit.
    Paypal has stolen 164 dollars from me since they will not allow me to spend it or withdraw it via a check. Crooks plain and simple. If you give me a dollar to hold for you it is still your dollar and if I refuse to give it back then that is called theft.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I hate using PayPal also but they are still the safest for both buyer and sellers

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I set them up with a bank account that I only use to get money out of PayPal and use my credit card to buy things. You don't have to pay by debit.
    The account I use for paypal is separate and used just for paypal they can debit from the account. I can also use it as a CC for buying from new sellers I'm not sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    I hate using PayPal also but they are still the safest for both buyer and sellers
    Judging by the dozens of horror stories I've read over the years about buyers using Paypal to firk refunds out of sellers without returning the merchandise, and stories about Paypal sequestering sellers' entire bank accounts over some trivial $2 infraction of their incomprehensible rules, and-and-and, it sure doesn't seem to be very safe for sellers. I'm retired on SSI and a small pension, no fat nest egg in a 401k or an IRA, if Paypal glommed even $500 from me, bills would go unpaid, my credit standing would be ruined, and I would have zero ability to hire a lawyer to fight them. Those stories are the reason I stopped selling.

And as I posted above, as a CC user, I have had excellent support from my issuing bank, which perhaps amazingly is Citibank. Three times in two years somebody has gotten my number and started charging stuff to me, and all three times Citibank knew it before I did. I got a call, I disavowed the charges, they reversed them and set their bloodhounds on the trail. They do a better job of guarding me than LifeLock, another racket IMHO. Their people are available 24/7, they are unfailingly polite, speak perfect English, and fix the trouble in one phone call. My worst loss from those episodes was that I had to do without my card for a day or two while they FedEx'd me a new one, for which they didn't even charge me. Citcorp may be one of the prime malefactors in the ongoing banking crisis, but for their credit card operation I have nothing but praise. I'll take them over Paypal any day!
    Cognitive Dissident

@45Nut - I believe the whole Biblical phrase was "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil" and they sure have it bad. Secular law has a role to play in regulating predatory players in the marketplace, but since they contribute millions to the Obama camp, we won't see any of that any time soon.
    Cognitive Dissident

My wife is very active on Ebay with items related to collecting antique glassware...she uses Paypal all the time and has never had any issues...however..and it's a big however...the bank where she has her checking account advised her if she was going to do much with Paypal she should open a small account that is used for nothing but Paypal...they told her it is one of the leading causes of identity theft in the banking industry...more bank accounts are hacked from the Paypal environment than any other source they have...if they get into your main checking account and you have much money in there...it's probably going to be at risk from time to time...I have a very small account that I used for years to be my account for a small business I had...never closed it out...I keep several hundred dollars there as the "Paypal" account of record...if a purchase runs over the amount in the account they charge a credit card I have on file..again, very small limit and in a business name and only tied to the small business account.. Hard to escape the on line hackers.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife died of cancer 6 years ago. She had a paypal card and did small amounts on eBay. Called and tried to close the account, they said they would send me the paperwork. It arrived, 8 pages of it, wanted her SS info, death certificate, our marriage certificate, and a court order signed by judge giving me rights to her estate. All for $47 balance. Needless to say, I used the card at the store for $45, closed the bank account it was attached to and never looked back.

Don

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I set them up with a bank account that I only use to get money out of PayPal and use my credit card to buy things. You don't have to pay by debit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    The account I use for paypal is separate and used just for paypal they can debit from the account. I can also use it as a CC for buying from new sellers I'm not sure about.
    The account I used is the same. A free checking account with a 20 dollar bill in it. I've had the account for years now, never paid from it, only transferred PayPal funds into it which were then removed immediately. Some day PayPal may beat me out of that $20, but it's a chance I’m willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    ....they told her it is one of the leading causes of identity theft in the banking industry...more bank accounts are hacked from the Paypal environment than any other source they have....
    Hola! Always suspected that, but never had it confirmed!
    Cognitive Dissident

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Happened to me at the 10k level...seems they lowered it. I cancelled the account....you can still pay pay then at other sites that use them by checking out as a Guest. For the little I buy at Ebay I contact th seller and they have all gladly taken a Money Order. If you cancel you cn open a new account in 6 months and run it till they the limit has been met.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't need it, don't trust it not to be hacked, don't use it.
    I have to much drama to put up with their c(*&.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Hola! Always suspected that, but never had it confirmed!
    The problem is not within paypal. Its the account holders themselves who get scam emails and log into fake paypal sites, thus giving away their pw. What the banks didn't tell you is they have the same problem.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    The problem is not within paypal. Its the account holders themselves who get scam emails and log into fake paypal sites, thus giving away their pw. What the banks didn't tell you is they have the same problem.
    I got one of those fake emails yesterday. PayPal had 2 L's in it, and there was some bad grammar. It wasn't hard to spot as a scam, but it might fool many people. The email instructed me to click on their hyperlink and log in... gee, I wonder what they were after...

Boolit Grand Master

I, too, keep a separate SMALL bank account linked to my Paypal account to limit
    damage since I trust them VERY little.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.