Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by phil3333 View Post
    if you people dont like supply and demand move somewhere the gov sets prices and wages, china or north korea

You've got a great attitude there!

It's not supply and demand, there's plenty of 22's being made but those that choose to artificially inflate prices have got to go.

Being held hostage by those hording would be something that happens in those countries that you mention.

The American way is to help out neighbors not screw them.

2shot
    Last edited by 2shot; 03-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.

99% of the time 22lr ammunition is cheap and plentiful. Why anyone who enjoys shooting it does not keep at least 20k on hand is really incomprehensible to me. If you get caught wanting 22lr ammunition, you deserve it. Stop griping about hoarders. It is not their fault. It is your fault. You screwed up.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    99% of the time 22lr ammunition is cheap and plentiful. Why anyone who enjoys shooting it does not keep at least 20k on hand is really incomprehensible to me. If you get caught wanting 22lr ammunition, you deserve it. Stop griping about hoarders. It is not their fault. It is your fault. You screwed up.
    I didn't screw up I have plenty.
    It's still the horders IMO that are driving the prices up.

I'm entitled to my opinion same as you.

2sho

Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    This happened 4 years ago for those of you that don't remember.
    If you didn't stock up after the debate when the assault weapon ban was mentioned it's your own fault. Reminds me about the story about the squirrel that didn't put nuts away for the winter. Remember it's not hording, it's proper inventory manangment!
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    If you didn't stock up after the debate when the assault weapon ban was mentioned it's your own fault. Reminds me about the story about the squirrel that didn't put nuts away for the winter. Remember it's not hording, it's proper inventory manangment!
    Dave
    Agreed, we were in the area that was spared from this last winter storm and it was actually very nice out this evening so I grabbed one of the bulk packs of federal 22lr that I stocked up on slowly over time while they were plentiful and cheap and had a great evening on my private range killing can's and targets. The only ammo I wish I had more of right now is the Aguilla 60 grain sniper subsonic and that is nobody's fault but my own. When it becomes available again I will pick up a brick or 2

Boolit Buddy

Dave
    And it happened in 1968 too. Not the first dance for shortages nor the last.

Problem in these parts is there are ma and pa gunshops that can't get the ammo either,or firearms. Nothing to sell means no money for them. If your fine with the big box stores then so be it, I try to support the local gunshops. Just remember Dick's and Walmart pulled some guns and ammo after Sandy Hook. Your local ma and pa store didn't so I think it doesn't take a lot to figure out who's got your back on the 2nd Amendment and who doesn't. If the small shops go under I think we have problems

I shoot about 15,000 rounds a years of 22's in just Bullseye shooting and rimfire rifle matches and practice not to mention thousands of centerfire. There is a difference between being prepared and hording for the threatened zombie epocolipse. I keep a 2+ year supply of quality 22's not the cheap promo stuff so I'm set,on shortages here on my side. But I still find it rediculous that at a gun show this last weekend there was a tabel selling CCI minimags for $23 a hundred. Needless to say he wasn't sell many.

And assuming that I screwed up is a totally wrong asumtion. (not your words I have to admit) When we have matches I have been regularly giving ammo to (no charge) people that have run short of ammo and can't compete because of this. Match and club shooters tend to do this. It's a shortage that will get back on track and I would rather make friends with people and give them ammo that to say "you screwed up".

2shot

Boolit Grand Master

It's a shortage that will get back on track and I would rather make friends with people and give them ammo that to say "you screwed up".
    Admirable notion.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

In Remembrance
    There are a lot of people wanting 22 ammo, but I don't know anyone that has to have it, so in my twisted way of thinking folks selling it at ungodly prices would never sell the first round if someone doesn't want to pay it.
    Even if a guy was for some reason caught with their pants down and is running low it isn't the end of the world. I have seen ammo in the classifieds for as much as 80 bucks a brick, I don't know if anyone like that is selling any, but if someone pays that price, they are what is causing the problem.

When this ammo rush dies down we will see adds for 22lr dirt cheap by these same people that are stuck with 22lr they couldn't sell.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, it's selling for $566 for 3750rds of bulk pack stuff on gunbroker right now. People are stupid to spend that much. If you're that desperate to shoot, spend the money on a nice black powder gun and have at it. There's plenty of BP and caps around, and lots of lead round balls on the shelves.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Dave
    So for those who are the 4-Leaders, and those who run Boy Scout camps and activities, and all the public and private clubs who sponsor Jr. Leagues somehow should have prepared better, even tho in many instances they had/have no idea how much to purchase because they have no idea how many will participate.

Somehow I find this squirrelly logic.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    When this is past us will you stock a supply of at least 6 months now? I started to many years ago, and I don't regret it in any sense.You never know what might happen in the future, but why not prepare for the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    It's a shortage that will get back on track and I would rather make friends with people and give them ammo that to say "you screwed up".
    2shot
    same reason why the new shooters that are just starting reloading I will sell primers out of my stash for what they cost me to get them started. Got to help the new guy coming up or we will be the last.
    dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Buddy

same reason why the new shooters that are just starting reloading I will sell primers out of my stash for what they cost me to get them started. Got to help the new guy coming up or we will be the last.
    dave

Exactly my thoughts too.

Not everybody is a gun nut so why not help out those that like you say are just starting or getting more involved with a gun that was handed down to them.

We need more people shooting and enjoying the rewards of this sport, not less. If our numbers as gun owners goes down we will as gun owners go down with the ship.

Nothing more rewarding that giving a neighbor a couple boxes of 22's so that he can take his kids shooting with the gun their grandfather left them!

2shot

True enough. Glad you are stocked up, my friend.

I also agree with helping out others getting into the sport, or who have failed to prepare. I volunteer weekly as a certified RO at the local public indoor range. I also give out A LOT of ammo to folks every year and let them shoot my guns for free.

But those are not the people who are on gun forums all over the web -- with usernames registered 5-10yrs ago -- complaining about shortages. The folks I hear on all these forums KNEW THIS WAS COMING. They screwed up.

As for clubs running programs. Our clubs runs a lot of programs. We haven't had one word about ammo shortages at any of our meetings, EVER. Club has been running about 60 years now ...
    But some folks never learn.
    Last edited by lawboy; 03-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

As for clubs running programs. Our clubs runs a lot of programs. We haven't had one word about ammo shortages at any of our meetings, EVER. Club has been running about 60 years now ...
    But some folks never learn.
    Maybe you guys need to come here to show our guys how to do it then. We've only been at it since the 1930's. And yes there is a shortage of ammo available for the kids!

I'll venture that the attendance at the NRA Metric SmallBore Matches will be lower also this year.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Mold
    I started stocking up a while back, Knowing I go through at least 1,000 a year, knowing when my 2 boys and wife go with me, I'm up to 4,000 a year, I keep a few 50 cal ammo cans packed full (does anybody know how many rounds are in a full 50 cal can?) not a fat 50, just a regular can, I'm thinking 5-8000?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Depending on the packaging you can fit 5M into a standard fifty can . That would be the cardboard packaging used on ammo such as older "Thunderbolt" , "Wildcat" and "Lightning" . Plastic boxes and spacers would reduce that amount some .

Last year I used eight thousand of the long rifle type and another thousand magnum . Not sure what this year will bring but kids still shoot for free at my place . So do responsible adults and as always , moochers can buy their own . At the last show a fella was happy to get my target rifle , I think I have a nice plinking rifle I'll put on the table in it's place . I got a little carried away buying and shooting rimfire rifles last year

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=lawboy;2103053

But those are not the people who are on gun forums all over the web -- with usernames registered 5-10yrs ago -- complaining about shortages. The folks I hear on all these forums KNEW THIS WAS

COMING. They screwed up.

But some folks never learn.[/QUOTE]

True in part, but I don't think anyone saw the shortage extending to 22 rimfire to the degree that it has. Price gouging is always a result in shortages of this magnitude, but the people that are really fueling the madness are the folks that continue to pay these ridiculously high prices. Refuse to pay them and the price gouging will stop. I was fortunate enough to put away enough 22 lr for several years of shooting, but I would feel guilty as hell if I tried to sell of my excess at the prices some people are asking. When preying on the misfortunes or short sightedness of others in this country is merely considered to be "good business", we get a glimpse of both what we have become as well as what we are becoming in this country.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

You begin to wonder.....if the ammo companies see what people are willing to pay, maybe that will become the price in the future.

Worked for the oil companies after the oil embargo. Then again you wonder if the ammo companies are creating the shortage....sort of like the oil companies.