RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn Fouling

Boolit Mold

Stubborn Fouling

Stubborn Bore

I can't think of anyone better equipped to help me with this than you lovers of service rifles.

My rifle cleaning experience is limited to 20 years of obsessive/compulsive bore scrubbing in the Marines and my own match rifles. A used rifle has brought me to my wits end.

I've recently acquired a used 700V in 22-250 and can't seem to get the bore clean. I don't expect it to slick up like a hand-lapped Kreiger, but cheese-n-rice, I should at least get it clean.

I get clean patches punching out of the muzzle end and all I have to do is run a few passes with a tight bronze brush to turn things carbon black again. I tried Hoppes, Shooter's Choice, gun scrubber, that foamy stuff, and even JB Bore Paste. I'm embarrassed to admit, I can't get this bore clean.

I'm happy to leave well enough alone, but it just ain't well enough for me. About the best I can do is .75" groups from a rifle I think should live inside a half inch. But I'm not willing to start my load tuning and rifle tinkering with a dirty bore.

I'm not looking for loading and shooting tips. That's the fun part for me, and I'm too bull headed to admit I don't know everything. What I'm asking is, have you experienced this before, the eternally dirty bore? What about your old service rifles? Did your 98 slick up clean as a whistle after a cleaning or three?

I own a switch barrel PPC gun with twin Shilens that clean right up with a few scrubs and a patch of Sweets. A 700 with a Hart, same thing. A home built AR with a Kreiger that never seems to foul. But this varmint shooter has me stumped. Any comments?
    USMC (ret) 1985-2006
    NRA Instructor: Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

certainly no expert here, but I had the same experience with an 03-A3. Could get clean patches, but then run a bronze bore brush and start getting 'copper fouling' or else run a stainless steel bore brush and start getting black fouling again. I finally quit trying and told myself the 'copper fouling' was coming off my bronze bore brush and the black fouling was coming off my SS bore brush. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but after days of cleaning for a couple of hours per day and literally hundreds of patches, I said the L with it.

Boolit Master
    I have went to nylon brush with patch over nose. Ed's Red? I picked up a Hi-Wall .223 I think somebody bought new, shot two hundred rounds and sold it the next day with not even a wipe. Took me way to much of everything, now back to my Butch's and nylon brush. I fully understand the Devil Dog, try not to clean the rifling out of it. Thank You for your service! Gtek

Boolit Mold

I currently own three rifles with carbon steel barrels, rimfires and chrome ARs aside. I have 1981 model 700 in 270 and a 1962 Sako L579 in 243 that act the same way, but not this extreme. Oops, I have an SAFN49 that doesn't cause much trouble. I don't fret over dirty AKs.

Maybe I'm spoiled to stainless tubes and this is just the way it is in the other world.
    USMC (ret) 1985-2006
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Try plastic jags with cloth patches.
    I prefer Rem clean over JB but they both work.
    I would use the JB on a cloth patch and plastic jag from the breach many times followed by some cloth patches on a plastic jag of your favorite solvent.

EDIT: I also use Dewey coated rods and wipe them off with each pass.
    No metal on metal contact that way.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've seen barrels that had the rifling nearly hidden because of fouling , in those cases I used an electric cleaner . In barrels that should be reasonably smooth on the inside I'll nylon brush with Hoppes to get the powder fouling out then wipe dry leaving the metal fouling in place . Then the foamy stuff get shot down the bore for eight hours or so . Then it gets wiped very dry with clean patches and is usually clean sometimes it takes another shot of foam though .

I had an 03A3 barrel that was horrible rough from chatter marks , cleaned it like that about every twenty to sixty rounds and now it's smoothing up and cleaning much easier . Currently working on a Garand barrel that was "neglected" to put it nicely and it is responding well to the treatment .

Jack

Boolit Mold
    I would like to help but i seem to have the same problem. I have been cleaning a Russian Mosin-Nagant M-44 for the last five years. When i got the rifle i could barely see the rifling. I thought it was just greese 'till i started cleaning. A couple of bronze brushes and a bottle of no. 9 later i was sure i was screwed. I decided to try and shoot the mil. surplus that i got with the rifle. I shot about 5" groups/patterns at 50 yards. Not good, but it was fun and somewhat cheap. After cleaning, i noticed more pronounced rifling. Every time i shoot this gun i see a little more rifling. I've recently started reloading and have got my groups down under 2" at 50 yards, some of them better. I shoot, clean, shoot, clean, and it seems every time i clean is a little better. I've used "Bore Scrubber" and "Shooters Choice, copper remover" but mostly "Hoppes no. 9." While i might look into that "electric cleaning," my meathod seems to be working and is a lot of fun.

Besides now i can see the light at the end of the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Deplater. It is like an archeological dig. Unplate, scrub out the carbon crud, clean with acetone,
    and unplate again. I have had to do this 5-6 times on a few before I struck steel.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

It is not very hard to make your own electronic barrel cleaner.

A really good how to is ...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

The article is good and the comments are better.

I need to do this to a rifle as well, but just have not got myself one of those roundtoits.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had a few barrels that copper-fouled something fierce. One was a duty rifle, an older-series Ruger 77V in 308. It wasn't bad accuracy-wise for up to 25 rounds, but cold-shot plotting was a PITA. My solution was to clean after shooting with ammonia-based "Blue Goo", remove that thoroughly, then leave the bore wet with Hoppe's #9 and stand the rifle inside the safe muzzle-down in a plastic cup.

We fired for record every 4 weeks. At the 2-week point, I hauled the rifle out--cleaned the softened and viscous robin-egg-blue Sierra bullet coating from the bore, and re-wet with Hoppe's. Just before shooting or at an activation, I swabbed the bore dry and sallied forth. The rifle would do 3/4" at 100 yards very reliably, and the cold shot was within that group. Whatever works, I say.

I did this same regimen with a well-used SMLE No. 1 Mk III barrel. With this one, I spent about 3 months' time cleaning with the Sweet's 7.62 every 3-4 days, then wiping that out and wetting with Hoppe's between Sweet's dosings, and letting it sit muzzle-down inside the safe. There was an incredible amount of build-up on that bore, but the chems eventually got me down to steel, and a properly-sized .316" boolit shoots respectably well to 1700-1800 FPS.

You have some very fine rifle barrels in your care. I wouldn't expect a Remington OEM barrel to be as tractable as most of those you mentioned. I suggest that you tweak leade/bullet ogive clearances a bit, make sure the throat isn't toasted-out, and make sure the twist rate can support the bullet length you are using. Most 700s have some respectable accuracy hidden within them, just waiting for a wizard to unleash it.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 03-06-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold

Thanks, everybody.

The homemade electronic cleaner looks interesting. I can seldom resist building a gadget.
    USMC (ret) 1985-2006
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I think you'll be happy with the results of the electronic cleaner.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I built the one from the surplus rifle plans , easy to do and it works good . I do pay attention to it while it's working and don't get to far from it .

Jack

Boolit Master

2-3 24 hour exposures to Kroil

2-3 24 exposures to Wipeout
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Hello, CTBC. last year I was attempting to de-copper a circa 1901 Farquharson in .450/.400 3 1/4". Tried all the solvents..& still got blue..until I used Bore Tech CU+2 copper eliminator..you must use rod & jags/brushes without brass parts, or you'll get a false reading..this stuff cleaned up the heavy copper fouled bore in just a few days.

Boolit Grand Master

For the bad mil-surp rifles I use the purple soaps available as Castrol Super Clean, purple power, etc. I put some in a large coffee can and hold the muzzle up off the bottom of the can then run the stainless brush up and down thru the bore. Usually 20 or so passes, then sqwitch to mineral spirits and do the same thin. After that I use Sweet's until I am ready to quit for awhile then put Hoppe's #9 in the bore and let it set at least overnight. Most of the time this has to be repeated several times. I did this recently to a Mosin-Nagant and enlarged the bore about .002"!

Boolit Master

I bought a Krag about 13 years ago and the bore was badly fouled. It was a farm gun used to put down lame livestock and it lived on USGI corrosive ammo and had never been cleaned. Fluffy live rust and fouling of all types. I used bottles of solvent, bags of patches and wore out many brushes and could not get it clean. One of the older fellows on another board told me to take the rifle, some ammo and my cleaning gear to the range. Shoot 1 shot and clean the rifle until the bore is down to steel. 4 or 5 rounds is all it took.

Gentlemen;

I bought a two-groove M1917 Enfield that was badly metal-fouled a couple years ago.

I simply loaded it with conventional lead-bullet combinations - at the end of 100 rounds of normal shooting all metallic fouling was gone: When I passed a patch through the bore it slipped through as smoothly as if it were a bran-new Premium Douglas barrel. I didn't do anything extra or work intensive at all. I simply loaded and fired 100 shots of things like RCBS 30-180-SP and 21.5 grains 4759.

It was a completely no-sweat 'cleaning' operation. It worked and I have not fired any jacketed bullets in the rifle at all since then. ~ Why tempt fate?

Good evening,
    Forrest
    Last edited by FAsmus; 03-09-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: edit text

Boolit Buddy

So, did anyone try the electronic cleaner? I think I might. One question. The foul out usestwo different solutions. One for copper, another for lead. The instructions for the home made cleaner only mentions one type solution which sounds fine for copper, but is there something else better for lead?

Boolit Master

Ive used my homemade electrinic cleaner on several rifles,,,,its does help but its not a cure all...and most important BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU USE AN AMMONIA SOLUTION,,,DON'T GET IT ON THE WOOD STOCK
    atr