Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mre

Boolit Master

Mre

I acquired a military MRE and opened the outer pouch. On all the items inside was a four digit number beginning with 92. Is that the year it was made?? And if so, how long are these things good for?
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Love Life
    They are good until they smell bad when you open them.

I believe the official shelf life is 5 years.

Boolit Master

The military keeps them for 5 years as Love Life stated, but they will last forever if the packets are undamaged. The best way to tell is if the individual food packet is all swollen then it is no good, or if you open it and it smells like something dead. I can't say smells bad because after eating as many of them as I have over the years even a new one smells bad to me. I have some stored that date back to the 80's and they are still as good as they were when they were produced.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

What color was the outer plastic bag? Early 80s- late 90s had a dark brown color. Later generation is tan colored.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Shelf life of government packaged food can be interesting. When the civil defense shelters around here were emptied in the 1970's the sealed water cans were half empty. The cracker tins were just fine and dandy though. They tasted like flavorful matzo - if you can wrap your mind around the idea of matzo with flavor. The hard candy was given to kids all over town for Halloween. Thousands of pounds of hard candy. Some of the heavy lifting equipment stayed in place until two years ago.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States

Boolit Master

The outside pouch is light tan, nearly all the printing on outside is gone. The meal is a porkchop in Jamica sauce, apple sauce, vegtable cracker, pound cake, tiny packets of coffee, powdered creamer, book of matches, a tiny little bottle of tabasco sauce, cheese spread, two little chicolets of gum a napkin, wetwipe, a pouch to heat the main course in and a plastic spoon. Yum!!! None of the pouches inside have been opened. Between the wife and and me, we are saying I'll try it if you try it-first, No, You try it first, No...
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Man up Jack! You have to show that when it gets down to surviving that you are "the man". You are going to use those for a a survival kit, aren't you? You will not die from eating those things, I've eaten them from WWII and that was back in the '60's.

EW

i will take the pound cake and the cheese spread and the vegitable cracker UMM UMM good stuff

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Man up Jack! You have to show that when it gets down to surviving that you are "the man". You are going to use those for a a survival kit, aren't you? You will not die from eating those things, I've eaten them from WWII and that was back in the '60's.

EW
    I ate some from the same year I was born when I was in in 66 to 68. I believe they were K-rations not even C-rations. LRPR were the best. Freeze dried and actually tasted pretty good and very light to carry. I didn't think the MREs were too bad but then I never had to live on them. They sure as hell beat C-rations.

Bob

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I ate some from the same year I was born when I was in in 66 to 68. I believe they were K-rations not even C-rations. LRPR were the best. Freeze dried and actually tasted pretty good and very light to carry. I didn't think the MREs were too bad but then I never had to live on them. They sure as hell beat C-rations.
    Bob

I don't remember whether ours were C or K rations. I was a young airman deployed to maintain our recon aircraft flying over the Mid-East during the six day war (what was that '67 or '68). I don't even remember what base we were at. I think that it was Insurlik, Turkey. We were in tents and not associated with the Turks or anybody else. I remember that it was very flat and the wind was kicking butt. I thought that it was going to be just a practice alert and did not properly prepare for deployment. I had to wash and dry clothes every day when off duty. A lot of surprises then taught me a lot about being prepared!

EW

Boolit Master

Hint on how to eat the main meal. Do not tear were the cuts are or you'll get your hands messy. Cut along the top horizontal instead and you'll have a larger wider opening. The are also better heated before eating. Use the heater where there is good ventilation.

Grow up on C rats, few LRPS and 3 decades of MREs in my gut...................
    one from Astan last year

Meatloaf with gravy

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 03-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Love Life
    If you can find the cold weather (white wrapper) MRE those are the best for long life. It is all dry foods for extreme cold weather so they don't freeze. If they are not puffed up then you should be good to go. As Joe said though I tend to think they all stink.

Rule of thumb:
    Smells like catfood=good
    Smells like a fermented skunk=not good.
    Last edited by Love Life; 03-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Wow I finally found somebody with the same knife I have!

Boolit Bub
    I have a few left from the 90 s but none of mine came with a knife like that. Lol. Only had one that could not be eaten in the cases I bought. Since I don't eat them every day, I found them to be mostly good to eat. Plus if a service member can eat it, so can I.

Boolit Buddy

The only food that does not spoil is honey.

I ate WWII rations on Guam in 1957 and '58. Some were OK, some not so good. That said, in the Philippines they eat Baludts which are rotten duck eggs. To each his own.

Boolit Master

In the 1960's I used to like the job of changing the ration packets on the life rafts and life boats. The water wasn't useful but the all metal knives and hard candy we always kept. They also had fishing line hooks, the hooks were awfully big, if a fish could get it in his mouth I would be wary about getting it in the boat with me. I came across some of the candy packets 20 years later and they tasted as good as new. The dye marker packets and and shark repellent we could never find a use for. The food was dark green cans packed during WW II, we ate too well on the ship to try any more than once, but the cigarettes were still good.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master

Ate those nasty MRE's back in the '80's. About 3 days of them and you was guaranteed not to sh*t for a week.
    Back then chicken ala king and the ham was the best.

Boolit Buddy

Ate plenty of C- Rations and LRRP rations the first time I was in the Army. Re enlisted in 87 and ate the MREs. I liked some of the C rations like the pound cake,fruit cocktail,pears and the cheese and peanut butter. If you were hungry enough it all would do.
    Para82

Boolit Master

I sure wish mine came with that nifty knife, I have wanted one of those for ages. Tomorrow we are going to get real aventurous and try the pound cake. Maybe then we will nibble on the porkchop with the Jamica sauce, whatever that is, her first! But she says I am the Vet here and I should, as edubya says "Manup". Or is that Throwup??? If ya'll get my next post from the emergency room, it's all YOUR fault!!
    Jack
    William Pitt, 1783