Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold for 32ga shotgun

Mold for 32ga shotgun

Dear shooters, reloaders and others,
    Looks like it is my first topic in this forum. At first I need to say sorry about my English - it is not my first and even second language!
    I have few shotguns in 32ga, the only problem is that there is not slugs available. Of course I have some molds, also I am swaging some bullets for my rifles.
    I have expierience with Lyman 525 slug for 12ga shotgun and it is excelent, so I need help for making custom bullet mold for 32ga using this design! Here is the picture of the bullet.

I will buy any bullet mold for the 32ga and I am ready for all offers of making custom mold!
    You can post here, you can PM me or contact me via e-mail: guntis.veits@gmail.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_749012457_6.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Wow! Since I haven't said it yet, welcome to the site! You are apparently well into the madness if you are swaging bullets for anything.

You might want to re-post this down in the Group Buy Discussion section. I have no idea how common those are on this side of the pond, but there has to be some.

By the way, your English is better than that of some Americans!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne Smith, thank you! I am registred here for some time and I am reading this forum when I have a time.
    I have make the pictures with bullets I have for 32gauge.
    I have added a picture - I hope that I have done it correctly!
    From the left to right:
    1. swaged bullet, works great from brass hulls and is perfect for paper punch, gives realy nice groups;
    2. factory maded bullet from steel. Great bullet, but costs 0.5USD/piece. Good for hunt;
    3. bronze bullet, but need to be loaded used plastic container or wads (sorry, forgot the correct name). Also very expensive bullet and average results;
    4. great lead bullet, but have lost the mold. Great bullet for hunting. As you can see, there is hole in bullet - hole in the same diameter like 22LR hull. So you can insert in reverse 22LR hull and powder and you got ... what you got!
    5. and 6. Great bullets, but the weight ~ 26 grams are to big.
    7. bullet that have I made using Lee 2 cavity mold for 500Smith and Wesson. Again - too heavy - 28grams/440 grains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01032013506.jpg  
    Last edited by Gunto; 03-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

So far my best successes with slugs (at least home cast and loaded) are with round balls and Brenneke style slugs.

A simple push out cylindrical mould wull make a slug you can attach a wad to Brenneke style. That might be your quickest and easiest route.

There are a couple of custom mould makers that might make a hollow base mould for you:

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

http://brooksmoulds.com/

http://www.henselgmbh.de./

Longbow

Round balls - works great, but are illegal in my country.
    Brenneke style slugs works great and for the moment the mold for this is in process.
    Thanks,
    Gunto

Boolit Grand Master

Even though I suspect I know the answer (bureaucrats) why would round balls be illegal and slugs legal? What is the difference between a round ball or solid slug in a shotgun... both are effectively slugs.

Another option you might try if you can get copper or brass tubing is to turn a round ball into a slug like:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ew-Slug-Family

I will be shooting my new ones with flared ends today.

Would a round ball be legal if part of a slug? If so these are pretty easy to make.

Longbow

Give this guy a call also, he will make any mold you want and if you send him your drawing should be able to hook you up with something, maybe. The hollow base is the one question mark as to whether he can do it.http://www.accuratemolds.com/
    He may be able to provide it to you as a solid and it can be hollowed with a pin by a few others that do it for people.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Check the info, images, and specs. in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-slug-design

I didn't scale the original for the 32ga. size since its very uncommon gauge size in the U.S.A. but there is enough information there to allow you to scale it yourself to your bore size (just multiply the full bore diameter 12ga. specs. by your bore diameter divided by 12ga. bore diameter).

Boolit Master
    Have you considered the lighter Lee REAL mold?
    They have a 250gr( 16+grams) .50 and a 300gr .54, ( 19+grams).
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    Check the info, images, and specs. in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-slug-design

I didn't scale the original for the 32ga. size since its very uncommon gauge size in the U.S.A. but there is enough information there to allow you to scale it yourself to your bore size (just multiply the full bore diameter 12ga. specs. by your bore diameter divided by 12ga. bore diameter).
    I have all the dimensions for the 32ga.

Gentelmens, I have question:
    before I am ordering mold for shotgun, do I need to slug the barrel?
    Thanks!

If you have a few samples left of the bullet for which you lost the mold I'm betting you could send it to one of the custome mold makers and the could reproduce it for you...................

Few 100 of these have left!

Boolit Grand Master

I think the word you were looking for is "sabot" from the Dutch. Originally used in artillery with wooden sabots, thus the use of the word. Explosive boolit, eh? That's legal and the round ball is illegal!? Doesn't the law make sense?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The 32 ga. is .525"-13.3mm, there are some .52 cal, mls made, so something should be available in .52.
    The .54's can be sized down in a push through sizer and .50's can be bumped up.
    What weight are you wanting and how large a cavity do you want?
    Try the molds available at Lyman and Track of the Wolf in the ml. section.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Explosive bullet is illegal too!

Quote Originally Posted by drinks View Post
    The 32 ga. is .525"-13.3mm, there are some .52 cal, mls made, so something should be available in .52.
    The .54's can be sized down in a push through sizer and .50's can be bumped up.
    What weight are you wanting and how large a cavity do you want?
    Try the molds available at Lyman and Track of the Wolf in the ml. section.
    Drinks,
    thank you for posting and your opinion!
    About the 32ga - as I know the 32ga in West and in East are different.
    The bullets I have shoot is 12,4-12,5mm in diameter. Thats the reason why I am loading this using brass hulls.
    One of my friend, who owns the rifles in this gauge, uses plastic hulls by Fiochi. He were rebuild his rifle to use this hulls. For the moment he is working for bullets what is ~ 13,3mm in diameter. But I am not agree with him, because I am afraid for the barrel life. It seems to dangerous for me. I want it ~ 15grams (220-240grains) and at least 2 or more cavities!
    Safety first in my life!

Have you thought about milling the top off that Lee 500 S&W mould to produce a shorter bullet? I don't know if you could get it down as light as you want, and it wouldn't have a hollow base, but it may be a possibility.

Are you using a press mounted sizing die to take that bullet down to 12,4 mm now?

I saw a 32ga. single shot shotgun last weekend. That was the first one I have ever seen, I wish it wasn't so beat up and so expensive or I would have brought it home. It looks like that would be a useful size.

-Nobade

Nobade, I have much ideas, but the problem is in equipment. I have no machine shop and nobody of my friends want to help me, because it is hard to do custom products.
    For the moment I have not done nothing with 500S&W bullet - just saw how my friend was trying it. I want to remake this mold to make hollow point bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Gunto:

Are you shooting smoothbore or rifled. I had assumed smoothbore. If so then you will definitely need a drag stabilized slug.

A simple cylindrical pushout mould can be made quite easily then an attached wad added to make a drag stabilized slug like a Brenneke.

If the gun is rifled then any suit diameter boolit mould should work if in the right weight range.

Yes, you should slug the barrel. If rifled you will want the slug at or slightly larger than groove diameter and if smoothbore then my opinion is the slug should be a "slide fit" to the bore.

Longbow