Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new hammer

My new hammer(pics added)

In addition to the 8mm Mauser I just wrote about I got to shoot my new 500 S&W mag Mosin Nagant today. That thing is good for a lot of giggles! I took a plain old 91/30 and fitted a Green Mountain blank, turned to heavy palma taper. Chambered with Dave Manson's 500 S&W rifle barrel reamer, cut to 20 inches. Had to cut the stock in half just behind the rear band since the barrel is bigger than the stock was. I put a single Weaver base on the receiver, epoxy bedded it and attached with red Loctite and mounted an Ultradot sight on it. Painted the barrel with black Cerakote, so now I have a big bore Bubba special that will knock the stuffing out of anything within 200 yards.

Boolit is the Lee 440gr. with the gascheck shank removed, sized to .492" (bore size for Green Mountain) and patched with 15# paper, sized in a Lee .501 sizer for a finished diameter of .502". Perfect for this barrel's throat. Loads were a compressed charge of Nobelsport TU-2000 (about like IMR4198), 35gr. WW296 + 1.0cc coffee grounds, 2.2cc VV 10B101 + 1.0cc coffee, and a compressed load of IMR4227 + a .030" card wad. Velocities were from 1500 fps for the 10B101 load up to 1850 fps for the 4227 load.

This rifle is about as forgiving as anything I have shot with paper patched boolits. All loads shot with equal accuracy - one hole at 25 yards, about an inch at 50 yards, and easily held inside an 8 inch gong at 200 yards. Not too bad for a red dot sight with no magnification. The only rub is, since the cases are about .030" shorter than the chamber, I was getting paper rings on every shot. Not a big deal, I could reach in with a cleaning rod and snag it out. The chamber's big enough it's easy to see what you are doing! I wondered if the single scope base would hold on, and the zero didn't change all day so evidently it will be OK. I kept expecting the scope to go flying over my shoulder but it never happened. The plan is, if that breaks I'll make a picatinny rail that screws to the barrel and set it up scout style. Maybe some day, but this works for now.

Recoil isn't bad, about like a stout loaded 45-70 (rifle weighs 8.6 lbs.) and not painful. I had thought I'd need a recoil pad but I am glad I didn't add one. I like the rough and tough look of the military stock - this is going to be a hunting rifle and not something pretty. Looks like I have a winner here, going to play around with loads to see if anything will stop the paper rings but likely I'll just live with it. All in all a worthwile conversion, especially since brass for this is still easily available and the rimmed Russian stuff has gotten really rare.

Next will be to collect a bunch of milk jugs and see what it takes to stop one of these boolits. It should be interesting to see how many jugs they make it through...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosin 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	62272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosin 1.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	62271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 SW ammo.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	62270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosin 3 .jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	62273

-Nobade
    Last edited by Nobade; 02-24-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added pics

Boolit Bub
    pics or it didn't happen Sounds plausible though.
    Playing with those 50's eats up lead quick, my 50-70 sure eats a lot.

how much work did the bolt face require?

OK, pics when I can manage them. No work to the bolt, that's why I went with this cartridge. Same size as the original and rimmed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post

Next will be to collect a bunch of milk jugs and see what it takes to stop one of these boolits. It should be interesting to see how many jugs they make it through...

-Nobade
    You're going to need lots of water. Even the 350g JHPs that I shot into water penetrated 6 gallon jugs. A solid will go through a lot more than that.
    I haven't shot my 440s into water yet but here's what happened when I shot some bigger ones.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-640g-Boolit
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub
    I was wondering if you beagled or drilled out the gas check seat on the mold Or if you plained off the mould making it a shorter boolit?

What did it take to get it to feed from the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmasailor View Post
    I was wondering if you beagled or drilled out the gas check seat on the mold Or if you plained off the mould making it a shorter boolit?
    I used a .502" chucking reamer and ran it in just deep enough to get rid of the check shank. Came out ALMOST perfect, and it's just fine after sizing down.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    What did it take to get it to feed from the magazine?
    Hahaha - no, it is a single shot so far. Some day I may get motivated enough to make it a repeater, it'll take cutting out the middle of the bottom metal and making a much wider magazine. And a new follower and spring, as well as milling away quite a bit of the receiver. I contemplated doing this and decided I can live with a single shot for now, which is fine since I have to remove the paper ring after each shot anyway.

-Nobade

Banned

Custom double-stack, 30-round banana magazine wrapped carefully in Bubba-camo duct tape would be too cool for words poking out of the bottom of that rifle....

Coffee grounds? That's one thing I've never tried for filler. I wonder if it does better in moist climates in bottleneck rounds than the cereal fillers?

Gear

Boolit Master

NEED PICTURES!!!

I've been wondering what to do with my mosin...

I was thinking having it rebored to .358 and using the 54r case, BUT...

This may be quite a bit cooler!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Custom double-stack, 30-round banana magazine wrapped carefully in Bubba-camo duct tape would be too cool for words poking out of the bottom of that rifle....

Coffee grounds? That's one thing I've never tried for filler. I wonder if it does better in moist climates in bottleneck rounds than the cereal fillers?

Gear
    Hi Gear,

Yep, I agree that a big mag would add a certain amount of "tactical panache" to it! I have been joking about adding a big mag to my muzzleloaders to be more tactical too, maybe use it to carry patches or a ramrod jag!

I have just started playing with the coffee grounds. One consideration I have is to make sure it is not corrosive to brass. As filler it seems to work well, it can be compressed a lot more than other fillers I have tried. Plus it's free. I just use it straight out of the coffee maker after drying it in the toaster oven. So far I have only shot this 500 S&W rifle with the coffee, but have loaded up some 38-55s for the cowboy match if we ever have that again. That will be a better test, firing 50 rounds over various distances at silhouettes. We shall see...

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    NEED PICTURES!!!

I've been wondering what to do with my mosin...

I was thinking having it rebored to .358 and using the 54r case, BUT...

This may be quite a bit cooler!

The weather this weekend looks like it'll be nasty, so I should have time to do pictures. So they're coming soon....

And yes, I went through the same thoughts. Kreiger gets $350 for a barrel blank and I couldn't swing that. But when I saw Green Mountain had them for $130 I went ahead and jumped on it. I did have to buy a reamer, but now I have that so I can use it on future projects.

A 35 on the original case would have more range, but the 50 cal sure hits hard at 200M and under. Plus the brass is a lot easier to get at this point.

-Nobade

OK, pics added up top.....

I have been thinking the Lee modern Minie' boolit would be fun in this rifle if it were paper patched. Especially loaded with the hollow base forward to blow things up. I think I'll try to get one of those moulds to see how it works....

-Nobade

Banned

I've been thinking about that LMM mould even since Onandaga posted about it in his .500 Handi. It's a good idea and it would work with near pure lead if you patched it and used a pinch of buffer........or coffee!

Gear

In Remembrance

I'm curious as to why the chamber is .030 longer than the case? Interesting build and a good use for some of the Moisins with bad barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I'm curious as to why the chamber is .030 longer than the case? Interesting build and a good use for some of the Moisins with bad barrels.
    Because almost all chamber reamers are made to be longer than the nominal case length. That way people don't have problems jamming cases into the end of the chambers. But us paper patchers would prefer to be able to get the two almost touching. With some cartridges you can make cases from other, longer cases but not this one, I am stuck with what is available.

-Nobade

Boolit Bub
    do you think the mosin is strong enough for the 60,000PSI Max that the commercial ammo is potentially loaded to?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    More than enough as tested for real by one of our older members, Jump. He did serious measurements before and after using tires and lanyard strings loading pistol powders to case capacity. Prolly a lot stronger action than the military Mauser. Nothing is stronger than the single shot BR actions, so if you really need something, consider these. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Way cool- How long do you give that single mount, even with that truck axle it may thump a little? Gtek

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Way cool- How long do you give that single mount, even with that truck axle it may thump a little? Gtek
    Haha - I have been wondering about that. So far, about 40 shots fired and no looseness yet. I really didn't expect it to last this long but it is epoxied and red loctited down, and the scope weighs almost nothing. We shall see....

-Nobade