MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: put your favourite Trapdoor loads and boolit here.

Boolit Bub
    While I don't agree with those who won't use smokeless in trapdoors, I certainly respect their opinion. Rifle cleanup with black powder is not all that tough. Put a rubber band around the action to hold the breach in the open position and go to it. Use of a bore guide is advised but not necessary if careful. Cleaning CASES is the pain in the tush! And that MUST be done fairly soon after firing. I usta use an 1873 model trapdoor which had a .463 bore and I was shooting wheel weight metal. I wish I had it now! I took a Lee 500 grain mould, wallered the handles off (don't ask), put the blocks in a lathe and opened it up to .463...I had no supply of pure lead which would have made this exercise unnecessary. With a load of black fffg compressed a bit, it would SHOOT just fine. I've shot Sharps in .40-70 BN, .40-65 and .45-70, Ballards in 40-63, .40-65 and a Ballard Creedmoor in .45-100-550 and the trapdoor will shoot with them if properly loaded with black powder. Most of this was a 500 meters, but some out to 1000 yards. We all see pix of exploded guns. What we can never be sure of is what exactly happened. We all see pix every day of crunched up cars and most of us know what causes it. I am not demeaning those who have guns blow up on them but most of us do just fine. But it IS hard to mess up with black powder, but not impossible. The 1884 trapdoors had the better sights, but all of them will shoot if the bore is at all good.

If you are looking for an original trapdoor, don't shoot smokeless powder through it. I have never tried it and won't because I have heard it is dangerous.

I use Jim Shockeys Gold which is a measure for measure black powder substitute with great results and not as corrosive as black powder and some of the other substitutes. My rifle is an original Alin Conversion in 50-70 Government. I fill the case with powder to the point where it lightly compresses with a wad. I lube the bullets with Alox with good results, but I am going to start pan lubing.
    If you want to shoot smokeless, be safe and get a modern reproduction.

Dardas 350 gr. RNFP with 34 gr. Reloader7

Boolit Bub

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-03_16-39-42_483.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	62996

13.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss and a 405 grain Lyman 457193 bullet. Very pleasant to shoot, Clean up is a breeze, 13 grains will fill the case to the point where no double charge is possible.

We are talking about an 1884 Trap Door Springfield rifle. The only efficient way I know of to clean black powder fowling is lots of boiling hot water and soap. I would not pour hot water down the barrel unless the rifle was disassembled. How many times can you turn the screws on the barrel bands or drag the bands up and down the stock before you start to damage the rifle? I like Trail Boss. It is very easy on the old girl pictured and easy on my sholder too.

Boolit Bub
    I know this will be considered heresy in some circles,but I'm currently testing a duplex smokeless load that uses a 3gr kicker of RL-7 and 51 grs of WC872,under a shortened Dan T. designed money bullet that casts out at 466grs. Put 10 shots inside 1 1/2" @ 75yds. Vel 1200fps. Waiting for some better weather for load developement at longer distances.FWIW.---Mike

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    I'm looking for a nice original Trapdoor to shoot. I have no experience yet with these rifles. BP is very difficult to get here so smokeless loadings are welcome. (please feel free to include BP loadings)

Pics of groups, reloads and rifles welcome!!
    * What are you trying to accomplish?
    * Would suggest you buy and read this book first ...
    http://4570products.info/Loading-Car...ingfield-1.htm

* And also visit this website ...
    http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

[QUOTE
    We are talking about an 1884 Trap Door Springfield rifle. The only efficient way I know of to clean black powder fowling is lots of boiling hot water and soap. I would not pour hot water down the barrel unless the rifle was disassembled. How many times can you turn the screws on the barrel bands or drag the bands up and down the stock before you start to damage the rifle? I like Trail Boss. It is very easy on the old girl pictured and easy on my sholder too.[/QUOTE]

I would not suggest doing any of that. Cleaning a BPCR is very easy. Information like this post is what scares off new BP shooters.
    Respectfully, Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Yep, I agree. If the cases are annealed they seal the chamber and all the fouling stays in the bore. A couple wet patches, a plastic brush, couple more patches, and an oiled patch and you're done. It is a lot easier to clean than a muzzle loader and only takes a couple of minutes. The cases, however, can be a pain until you get a wet tumbler. Then they're super easy too and look like new after an hour of tumbling. All in all it is quite a bit easier to use a Trapdoor with black powder than it is with smokeless, it is safer, and they usually shoot more accurately when loaded as intended.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I use 60 grains of FFg Goex, and the Lee 405HB, cast from mostly pure lead with a little wheel weight metal thrown in, and lubed with a homemade version of SPG.

300 gr RCBS molded boolit pure lead with gas check lubed with alox/beeswax 50/50, 45/70 and 38 grs of IMR3031 powder 1884 trapdoor carbine. Dont know velocity but very accurate out past 300 yds with the wonderful peep site on the rifle. That is my one bullet, one load. be safe

Boolit Bub

“If the cases are annealed and if you have a wet tumbler and if your local dealer still has black powder on the shelf......." That is my point. You can get Trail boss or IMR 4198 or Unique or IMR 3031 delivered to your house by UPS when Powder Valley has it in stock. I have 4 muzzle loading rifles and three pistols. I have been shooting black powder since 1976. It is unusual to find an original black powder era gun in any kind of shape. Why take a piece of American history that will only increase in value and risk the potential of rust and corrosion associated with Black Powder... Just saying..... I would like to scare all new shooters away from Black Powder just as I would steer them from pre war corrosive Berdan primers. I know that our sport is full of purists who are pissed if you show up to the range in an automobile and not ridding a mule but you have to walk before you can run and loading black powder cartridges with scoops and 3 foot drop tubes and the hassle of case- rifle clean up after is enough to hair lip everybody on owl creek. I taught my son the King’s English first. If he wants to learn hieroglyphics at some point in the future that is up to him. I have a section of vintage military black powder rifle barrel that looks like stage 4 colon cancer inside . I will post the pictures.

Boolit Bub

“If the cases are annealed and if you have a wet tumbler and if your local dealer still has black powder on the shelf......." That is my point. You can get Trail boss or IMR 4198 or Unique or IMR 3031 delivered to your house by UPS when Powder Valley has it in stock. I have 4 muzzle loading rifles and three pistols. I have been shooting black powder since 1976. It is unusual to find an original black powder era gun in any kind of shape. Why take a piece of American history that will only increase in value and risk the potential of rust and corrosion associated with Black Powder... Just saying..... I would like to scare all new shooters away from Black Powder just as I would steer them from pre war corrosive Berdan primers. I know that our sport is full of purists who are pissed if you show up to the range in an automobile and not ridding a mule but you have to walk before you can run and loading black powder cartridges with scoops and 3 foot drop tubes and the hassle of case- rifle clean up after is enough to hair lip everybody on owl creek. I taught my son the King’s English first. If he wants to learn hieroglyphics at some point in the future that is up to him. I have a section of vintage military black powder rifle barrel that looks like stage 4 colon cancer inside . I will post the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1960 View Post
    “If the cases are annealed and if you have a wet tumbler and if your local dealer still has black powder on the shelf......." That is my point. You can get Trail boss or IMR 4198 or Unique or IMR 3031 delivered to your house by UPS when Powder Valley has it in stock.....
    No, cases do not need to be annealed. Never have. Always used normal stock cases. Never issues. No special tumbler needed as well. Simply toss the brass in a jar with warm water and a couple drops of Dawn, give a quick shake, rince, then clean the same as you would any brass.

No rifle disassembly required to clean. Same as any rifle, except instead of using Hoppes, etc, you simply use hot plain water (never boiling as it can damage oiled stock). A few wet swipes to clean out, then perhaps Hoppes if desired, a quick wet wipe down of action, then a swab of your favorite lube/protectant inside and out (quick dry swab again before using next time). The only thing you must do is clean within a day or so of shooting, otherwise it can be corrosive (but not as bad as many BP subs).

For my other guns, I wish smokeless was as easy to get as it is for Black Powder. I can place an order for Black Powder from Powder Inc and have Black Powder delivered to my home within days. Smokeless is sold out everywhere. Luckily I stocked up. And even if all powder dried up, smokeless and BP, you could always make your own BP simple enough.

While BP does require you to clean it soon after shooting, that's about it for requirements. Unlike smokeless, No scales, No dippers for measuring as a full case is the right amount. No fillers or wads required. No Hot loads or light practice loads, just one load, the correct load based on how the gun was designed to shoot. No double or tripple charge to worry about. No heat treating or water dropping or mixing alloys except a tad of tin added to plain soft lead (SOWW work fine) is preferred. So much simpler it is stupid. Unlike smokeless, nearly impossible to mess up when using full case of real black powder. You lose nothing in performance and many times, a normal BP load will give you better performance and consistancy than smokeless, with a normal BP load, 405gr HB at average 1377fps an example here.

We all have to take certain precautions with any gun, some special for the specific gun used. BP is no different. You can do things the hard way or the easy original designed way. There are far too many excellent modern smokeless rifles of same caliber to pick from instead of shooting smokeless in an original BP rifle.

BP shooting original weapons is much more than sending lead downrange. All the senses in your body are incorporated. It is the smoke you see and taste. It is the smell. It is the special boom you hear and feel. It is the history that this gun may have been used this exact same way 130 years ago to change our lives. These are the things that separate an old BP rifle from a modern smokeless equivalent. If you only wish to shoot lead of that caliber, skip BP rifles and stick with modern smokeless, where you won't have to experience all these sensations in action. Pull trigger then you feel and hear it go bang, the same way as most smokeless rifles.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 03-05-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with those who say BP cleanup is not that big a deal -- but I missed the original poster's problem with getting real BP.

If I couldn't get BP, I'd probably use Hodgdon Triple 7 (there's data for it online), or alternatively Trail Boss, using the "smokeless for black" formula that Trail Boss recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1960 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-03_16-39-42_483.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	62996

13.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss and a 405 grain Lyman 457193 bullet. Very pleasant to shoot, Clean up is a breeze, 13 grains will fill the case to the point where no double charge is possible.

We are talking about an 1884 Trap Door Springfield rifle. The only efficient way I know of to clean black powder fowling is lots of boiling hot water and soap. I would not pour hot water down the barrel unless the rifle was disassembled. How many times can you turn the screws on the barrel bands or drag the bands up and down the stock before you start to damage the rifle? I like Trail Boss. It is very easy on the old girl pictured and easy on my sholder too.

well since nobody has dealt the bummer card ...ill proceed with the info;

IMR has published loads for 45-70 rifles and the preassures are kinda scarey to me...as such;

400ish boolits loaded with 12 grains trailboss equal 24,500 CUP
    400ish boolits loaded with 13 grains of the same trailboss equals an astonishing 25,600 CUP [COPPER UNITS PREASSURE]

blackpowder is mostly in the low to mid teens of thousands CUP with a bit diff spike in the preassures

i load AA 5744 in these cases thusly and with reliable info for the safety of a bp designed rifle from yesteryear;

i weigh a very small dose of 5744 into my scale then when i grasp a case i never let it lose till ive installed the powder,,,filler,,,bollit. i do this with all the smokless loaded cases which go into any rifle/handgun which was built in the 1800's when the ONLY powder was BLACKPOWDER.

just do be carefull PLEASE...cant afford any more tradgedies!
    Last edited by bigted; 03-05-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    To get 1100-1200 fps with a fairly soft 400-420 gr cast bullet I use something like 21-22 gr of 5744 with dacron filler. For me the velocity SDs have always hovered between 6 fps to about 12 fps.

These type loads were pressure tested and the results posted by a member here on the forum a couple 'r' three years ago using a 45-70 bolt action test platform. The pressures and velocities were very uniform with SDs very low. IIRC the 21-22 gr charge of 5744 under that bullet never approached even high teens K in pressure. Through the practical range of 5744 published charges for "Trapdoor" loads the pressures never became erratic nor exceeded the recommended max for the trapdoor type action.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

LEE 420gr Lead hollowbase microgroove bullet sized to .459 and fired over 12.0 grs of Unique. Winchester, Wolf or CCI primer. I do not pan lube. I use a lube sizer with soft alox lube.
    I have used this in several original Trapdoors with very satisfactory results.