MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: AM I in trouble ?? are they too hard?

Boolit Man

AM I in trouble ?? are they too hard?

Been casting a pile of bullets and just got my cabintree hardness tester this week ... My lead is reading .74 on the scale which is 12.5 brindall I'm shooting Shiloh Sharps rifles.. 40-65. Are they too hard should I regroup find some pure lead and remelt everthing? HELP!!!

Boolit Master
    Personally I'd see how they shoot first. A lot of people will say that you absolutely need soft bullets. I've had good results at times with bullets that are a lot harder than what you've posted.

Chris.
    Last edited by Gunlaker; 02-02-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Shoot them, then decided what to do.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Since you are using black powder, you probably won't suffer any problem due to the hardness. Even if the bullet is a bit undersized it will still get bumped up immediately.

But, you can't get lead that hard by adding tin, so there must be something else in there ... probably antimony.
    If you get a thin 'wash' of leading in your barrel, that (according to some) might come from antimony in the alloy.
    Whether it would ever build up enough to affect performance, I couldn't say.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

That sounds real close to wheel weight alloy. Shoot them and see what happens. My experience with WWs and BP has been really good groups for 10-12 rounds and then the lead starts building up and accuracy drops off, YMMV. Every rifle seems to have it's own personality. One of the guys I shoot with uses WWs and has had good luck with them. You might try sizing them about .002 oversize.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold
    i also shoot a 40-65 400-408 badger barrel 20-1 lead tin ratio lyman 410660 bullet sized .409 spg lube ccibr2 primer 56gr swiss 1/2 60th wad no belling or crimping shoots really well thev nose of that lyman bullet mics out at 399.5 thats 1/2 th under boer dia hope this helps.

I am shooting a .45-70 Shilo Sharps and have no problem with bullets in the .70 to .80 range on my Cabine tree. I think you are alright.

Boolit Man
    That is almost my exact load.. I'm useing a Saeco 740 405 gr. Bullet and size them .408 for my Shiloh.
    Quote Originally Posted by swis1.5 View Post
    i also shoot a 40-65 400-408 badger barrel 20-1 lead tin ratio lyman 410660 bullet sized .409 spg lube ccibr2 primer 56gr swiss 1/2 60th wad no belling or crimping shoots really well thev nose of that lyman bullet mics out at 399.5 thats 1/2 th under boer dia hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My lead is reading .74 on the scale which is 12.5 brindall I'm shooting Shiloh Sharps rifles.. 40-65. Are they too hard should I regroup find some pure lead and remelt everthing?
    Your alloy will be fine. I have shot excellent groups using Lyman 457132 using Bhn 15.3 with 1/2% tin. Also straight WW bullets with a Bhn 13.5
    Regards
    John

Banned
    Lets start by parting beard and snot!
    BP and dead soft lead goes together because the lead will obturate and fill the bore despite being undersize.
    If your boolit is big enough then by all means cast as hard as you wish!
    I have a 10.15x61R Jarman that is made for PP (shallow rifling just like for j-words) and i cast @ 13BHN for it. It shoots great without knowing because i keep boolits on the large side.