WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An interesting story about vintage aircraft and a Model T Huck starter.

ffg

Thanks for the link! Sounds sweet!

Boolit Bub
    +1 I wish I could have had some of the experiences that some are afforded by age and location. Dad had a model T, I think, mom about killed him when he sold it. Went to a fly in down in Fla once, WOW, all WWII era, but I loved it.

Boolit Grand Master

Not an airplane fan but I enjoy a good story about bringing and old machine (or two) back to life. Thanks, Popper.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Bad Water Bill

Just peaked. Wrong move. 1/2 hour later what a great story.

Thanks for sharing.
    ˝ hour, that's all? It took me a couple of hours following different links! Makes me glad I'm retired----AGAIN.

My earliest memories were of my dad and his 1945 Taylor Craft. It's 65 horse continental purred like a kitten. He took me for many rides, sometimes one hundred miles from the home airport.

After a stint in the air force, I took up flying with the intent of becoming an instrument instructor. I got as far as a commercial license and most of the way through the instrument flying course. I failed the written 3 times, then gave it all up.

The main thing was seeing my instructor starving, not able to make a living. It all depends on good flying weather. Around Wisconsin, that's rare, less than 100 days per year. Then to have a max of 6 students in any given good weather day wasn't enough to live off of.

Being as how I live in Oshkosh, I can go to the EAA annual fly in. Been there TWICE! It's a giant rip-off! I took my son there when he was 10. The day cost us 200 bucks, that was 20 years ago. We did get to see a lot of older planes, and a tour of a Russian cargo plane, the equivalent to our C5-A galaxy.

That Hawker Hind is a beautiful bi-plane. I'd love to go up in it, but there's only room for one-, the pilot. I haven't been up as pilot-in-command for over 40 years, I'd be a bit rusty! AND it's a biplane, never flew one of those. It's NOT like riding a bicycle, you have to stay current on hours, and constant practice.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

51 farmall is not old. I remember seeing the old steam tractors rusting away in the fields, huge steel cleated wheels. We (GS air club) collected old papers for a year to pay for the Taylorcraft, don't remember what vintage but it was the side-by-side 2 seater. Started JHS before I could fly it. Dad liked the Mooneys best but got a C - 190 for business trips. Big radial that burned lots of oil.